Does a Checkride in a Complex Aircraft Double as an Endorsement?

flyerfocus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyerfocus
Hello, I did my multi-engine training and checkride in a Piper Apache, a complex aircraft. My instructor never did actually endorse my logbook for complex. Does the checkride in the complex aircraft double as an endorsement or do I have to go out and specifically fly again to get the endorsement? Thanks.

I would get him to sign an endorsement. Pretty sure it’s required by regulation, but too lazy to look it up. You’re lucky the question didn’t come up in your check ride lol

The endorsement should have done prior to the checkride. If it wasn’t who was acting as PIC?

The FAR requirement is logged training and a CFI endorsement. You can’t find the CFI?

The endorsement should have done prior to the checkride. If it wasn’t who was acting as PIC?
Good point. You were certainly not legal to fly the check ride unless the DPE agreed to be PIC. I'm wondering what the implications are to your check ride. Is a rating legit if you weren't legally PIC? If it were me, I'd make sure my CFI "finds" the endorsement label they made out for you prior to the check ride.

I have never thought of a solo endorsement for a multiengine airplane not counting as a complex endorsement.

61.31(d)(2) vs. 61.31(e)(2)(i).

Also 61.31.(f)(2)(i); ditto for High Performance endorsement for a twin with fewer than 200HP.

All that changed on August 7, 1997.

61.31(f)(1) even states: "Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower)..."

How many people have assumed "an engine" meant the engine of a single engine airplane?

This is a nice review of the (convoluted) regulations!

All that changed on August 7, 1997.
Prior to 1997, a high performance endorsement was still required (although it could be done in either what is now a high performance airplane or a complex airplane, and one endorsement covered both.)

Run, don’t walk back your to instructor and get him to past date an endorsement for you. You were not legal to take the check-ride without it. People “forget.” Fix it and leave it at that.

The checkride doesn't take the place of the endorsement. But you got an endorsement(s) before your checkride. What does it say?

Back