iPhone size

Mxfarm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
I've been using a iPad ( air 4 ) for ForeFlight in the aircraft. It's just to large to mount anywhere. I really do need to replace my iPhone 7 for something else and would like to get a phone that's large enough to use with ForeFlight. I just don't purchase new phones ( paid $100 for the 7 five years ago ).

My question is, is anyone using a iPhone 10xs or 10xsMax for FF in the cockpit, and happy with it's size?

and I may still go that route w/a smaller iPad if attach it - just don’t like the iPad in my lap.

Try the iPad mini. I find the size to be near perfect for use in the cockpit.

I think iPhone ForeFlight is a little less user friendly than iPad FF. iPad Mini is just about perfect for me.

Been using an iPad Mini since I first started using ForeFlight. iPhone SE as a back up.

VFR only.

Cheers

I went from a 5s to a 10, and although the phone itself is only a little bigger, the extra display real estate from losing the home button is huge. I almost could lose the ipad but not quite.

I have been happy with my Xs, which replaced a 6S+:
IMG_0243.JPG

5th gen iPad and a ram yoke mount works pretty good. IPhone 12 is Ok for maps on FF but it’s too small for procedure charts when flying.

I used an XS Max for GP in my Cub the last few years but upgraded to a 13 Max a few weeks ago. Charges faster, battery lasts longer. I still have an iPad mini 4 on the Cessna panel and its a slug compared to the new phone.

Yep, one annoyance (and I have complained about this to them several times) is that there is no option to get even the larger iPhones to behave like an iPAD for foreflight (this is their decision).

Nice thing about the phone is you can mount it in alternative places, I have mine mounted high up in line with the pillar leaving yoke/panel clutter free and it’s closer to you.

VFR or IFR?

I bought an iPhone 13X Pro, with a screen size of almost exactly half that of an iPad Mini. I've practiced approaches with it, but it's really too small for that. For VFR navigation, it would be great. I think it's about the same size as the Area 530 I had many years ago.

Location and size of iPad or mini is VERY much a function of the plane you are mounting in. In my Tiger, it is hard to find a location other than my lap for the full size iPad. I need to make a template of the mini to see if there is a good location that doesn’t cover up any instruments.

Nice thing about the phone is you can mount it in alternative places, I have mine mounted high up in line with the pillar leaving yoke/panel clutter free and it’s closer to you.
this is what I’m considering - closer to line of sight, w/no up/down of the head...

Location and size of iPad or mini is VERY much a function of the plane you are mounting in. In my Tiger, it is hard to find a location other than my lap for the full size iPad. I need to make a template of the mini to see if there is a good location that doesn’t cover up any instruments.
that’s the thing w/the Comanche - just can’t find a spot for the iPad. Am going try a template of the mini because of the plates. Was just thinking the phone would be to small for them.

that’s the thing w/the Comanche - just can’t find a spot for the iPad. Am going try a template of the mini because of the plates. Was just thinking the phone would be to small for them, but like the behind pillar - but would think the mini would be to large there.

that’s the thing w/the Comanche - just can’t find a spot for the iPad. Am going try a template of the mini because of the plates. Was just thinking the phone would be to small for plates, I like the behind pillar - but would think the mini would be to large there.

this is what I’m considering - closer to line of sight, w/no up/down of the head...

I think one major factor is how close you can mount your phone. High and close is ideal, and in that location a Pro Max iPhone is plenty big.

38529655302_f727d7791e_z.jpg

I think that’s and older iPhone 8. The newer Pro Max models are noticeably larger. Plus I now use a 3” RAM arm which places it even higher.

I suppose if I were dead set on mounting I would opt for a big IPhone.

Back