in search of a CFI with flexibility...

Mani kavuru

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
breathe-philly
most of the topics on this thread are about getting a medical, to be legal, to get or keep a ticket; my question is a bit different, would appreciate guidance; I am a 62 y/o rusty pilot with a goal of flying VFR for enjoyment mostly; have a current medical; I have flown mostly from the right seat (due to weakness in the right hand grip strength, old stable issue, easier to manipulate the throttle and radios with left hand); I have adapted a technique to manage the takeoff and landings that is safe and works; consistently use the friction lock and trim on takeoffs, and on landings come in higher with power off and ease it to the runway; the weaker right arm can adjust and play a role in managing the yoke (have not tried creative solutions to grip the yoke); of course, have personal minimums esp crosswind component < 5 mph; the "technique" is quite unconventional (instructor insists on having one hand on the throttle all the time)...so the question is how to find a CFI that can see the need at hand and can work to find a workable and safe approach that is outside the box; I pose a specific here, but the concept is relevant for a lot of others I imagine? making adjustments in flying, not just for the weather and airport conditions, BUT also changes to our physique to age and/or chronic illness....interested in thoughts or other examples mostly about a CFI and coaching to gain confidence to fly safely. Sometime it requires trial and error with guidance in controlled conditions.

I don't mean to be harsh, but to me it sounds like you shouldn't be flying as PIC. I say that because if you're flying right seat in a plane with center throttles because you don't have the right hand strength to work the throttle reliably, you have a problem. The concern I have is that you have to be able to hold the stick/wheel with one hand while doing the other stuff - throttle radio etc, and that the strong hand needs to be on the wheel. You need to be able to hold the wheel and apply full throttle to do a go around. I don't think what you're proposing is safe at all. Now maybe there's a way to safely fly one handed, but I think that's more about aircraft mods than a different CFI. Just my 2 cents.

There might be some aircraft that are more suited to your situation and that would be worth exploring; but I would think that some aircraft you might not be safe to fly.
The question I ask myself as a CFI is, would I really be comfortable letting you take one of my kids on board as a passenger if I wasn’t on board?

I don't mean to be harsh, but to me it sounds like you shouldn't be flying as PIC. I say that because if you're flying right seat in a plane with center throttles because you don't have the right hand strength to work the throttle reliably, you have a problem. The concern I have is that you have to be able to hold the stick/wheel with one hand while doing the other stuff - throttle radio etc, and that the strong hand needs to be on the wheel. You need to be able to hold the wheel and apply full throttle to do a go around. I don't think what you're proposing is safe at all. Now maybe there's a way to safely fly one handed, but I think that's more about aircraft mods than a different CFI. Just my 2 cents.

This is probably not the best way to discuss this one-off issue; it is best to do so one-on-one with a CFI in the plane, by demonstrating etc; the simple, no risk, safe answer is clearly: don't; I understand your perspective...thanks for the 2 cents.

There might be some aircraft that are more suited to your situation and that would be worth exploring; but I would think that some aircraft you might not be safe to fly.
The question I ask myself as a CFI is, would I really be comfortable letting you take one of my kids on board as a passenger if I wasn’t on board?

I certainly would like to learn more about "aircraft worth exploring..."; no reason to explore the "other aircraft."

I certainly would like to learn more about "aircraft worth exploring..."; no reason to explore the "other aircraft."
I don’t know all of the aircraft out there, but for instance, most Piper Cubs would seem to be set up better for you with a relatively large trim and throttle for your left hand and the stick for your right hand.
That’s the kind of thing that I think would require some personal research.

There are a number of amputees of various sorts who have managed to fly using modified controls. It might be as simple as a yoke or stick mounted throttle.

There are people without arms who have passed a check ride. It's all about figuring out how to adapt.

I would have no issue working with the OP to explore the possibility.

In all honesty, I would not endorse a student for solo if a <5 knot cross wind was all they could handle. If the plane is properly trimmed, hand strength required is minimal and if you work with the right CFI they should get you where you need to be.

I’m a little confused as usual for me. Typically the throttle requires less strength than aileron / elevator. What am I missing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back