Getting some tailwheel

kaiser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The pilot formerly known as Cool Beard Guy
Ok – I’m pretty bad at these but @jsstevens put in a request and I thought maybe I could give it a whirl.

I've recently decided to go after my tailwheel endorsement. I'm not entirely sure why - it just looks like a lot of fun! Hopefully this post will shed light onto my journey and encourage others to do the same! As far as my background in case others are interested - I'm a >400 hr with Commercial ASEL +Instrument - so not a lot of experience.

I’m training in a 1940 Piper Cub with the Reed Clipped Wing conversion and a Continental C90 upgrade. So you take a regular old bright yellow cub, put a 90 horsepower engine in it, and “clip” about 7’ of wing. There is no electrical system, though we have a handheld radio. Instruments are very basic and include a tachometer, Air speed, Compass, Altimeter, Engine (Oil pressure/temp), and a ball for help with coordination.

My first lesson was an extensive ground and an attempted flight. I say attempted because after we had loads of fun hand propping, once it started oil pressure zero became the name of the game. It ended up being a sensor issue. I was given a lesson on how to hand prop and then primed the engine (pulling blades through practicing hand propping technique). Once primed the instructor actually started it.

The ground lesson focused on pre-flighting the airplane as well as the nature of tailwheel as opposed to nose wheel aircraft. This included the position of CG (behind the wheels) and how that changes the nature of handling characteristics, and left turning tendencies. It was interesting to learn how P-factor and precession were much bigger factors in tailwheel than nose wheel. Case in point, when you add power to begin the takeoff role, you have a certain amount of p-factor & precession applied. If you were to raise the tail to make a wheel take-off, the p-factor & precession changes significantly (which must then be compensated by rudder). It’s not really an issue in nose wheel – since you just keep adding right rudder on takeoff until “it looks right” and flies off of the runway.

TT: 0
Landings: 0

My second lesson was a few days later. Perhaps due to the fact that we weren’t able to fly on the first, there was a little pressure to get to the sky. Winds were 10G16 in a direct crosswind from the left*, so I got to learn wheel take offs and landings!! And by learn, I mean the CFI let me take off and land in it! I got to prime the engine again but the instructor when ahead and started it.

Once airborne we focused on just plain flying and then some maneuvers. Flying the plane was a blast. Just dragging knuckles around at 800-1000 AGL is a different kind of flying, all together. Once we got to the practice area, we did steep turns, slow flight, stalls (power on/off/falling leaf), and engine failure demo with a glide to an emer field. This cub glides like the Arrow for the most part, straight down. With very little wing, the ailerons travel 3 / 4 the length of the wing. This makes for very fun flying characteristics like high roll rate and emphasizes the importance of the rudder w/o ailerons during slow flight and stalls. I was quite pleased with myself that I was disciplined enough to keep neutral ailerons during the slow flight and stall maneuvers – especially since 1 of my 2 only comments on my commercial checkride was I needed to use less aileron recovering from an accelerated stall. On a power on stall, wings love to drop – the thing just wants to spin. Power off and falling leaf were fun… just fly the rudders! It does have a big rudder, but patience is also key. Sometimes the rudder input would take a moment until the wing would lift.

We headed back and did 3 landings in the gusty crosswind. We did all wheel landings and all I’ll say is, those poor tires… I never ground looped, but I have no clue how I saved it! The tires were screaming the entire time. I think I only felt the instructor on the controls twice, and not too major of a correction – just a little help and reassurance that my inputs where appropriate. But this guy definitely has nerves of steel. Not much else to include here, as the next lesson I feel like I actually learned more. This was just getting all beat to hell.

TT: 1.1
Landings: 3

Third lesson was much nicer weather, though barely VFR (low ceilings but good vis). This was now my third lesson in priming and was given the opportunity to actually start it. Learning to hand prop is like learning to dance. Once you know the moves and practice, it’s not too difficult. But it’s absolutely awkward at the beginning. For inquiring minds at home, I'm a swing-right-leg guy...

With a 11kt (no gust) direct crosswind from the right* we wanted to head to another airport so that we may practice landing with minimal crosswind. Once we took off, it was clear that weather in the direction we wanted to travel was lower, so we stayed in the pattern. Most of our lesson was on 3-point landings. The name of the game here is speed control. And a big part here is remembering that landings do really start on the downwind. This cub lands with full nose up trim, so applying trim starts as you begin pulling power approaching abeam the numbers. Beyond the numbers power comes down to 1500-ish or so, where you can crank in the rest of the nose up trim. Flying from the back seat means approaches are also much steeper. This is because in 3 point landing and even tail low wheel landings, you can’t see out in-front of you (never mind the instructor’s head). My technique at this point has been to keep my steep approach with eyes on the runway at least until I have kicked the rudder out of a crab, put in aileron crosswind correction, and I’m certain the plane is flying straight. This probably happens at 20-30 AGL right now. Then on the round-out, my visual cues on the peripheral remains relatively static – confirming I’m still straight. From there it’s relatively simple. For a 3 point landing, you hold the plane off whilst increasing pitch until it stops flying. If you do it right, all three tires touch at the same time. On this lesson, I think most of my landings had tailwheel and upwind wheel touch first, but it all mostly happens at the same time. We did 6 3 point landings and by that last one they were starting to feel good.

The last two landings we did were my reintroduction to wheel landings. My first one had too much energy, and touching down with too much energy is quite the experience. Although we didn’t impact the ground at a high descent rate, the touch makes the entire craft shutter and shake and we immediately bounced some feet in the air. So I went around. The second wheel landing was fairly passable. I did have one small skip initially, but when it passed, stick forward locked me onto the mains nicely.

* As a note, right crosswinds and resultant control inputs do a nicer job at countering left turning tendencies. I think I have to attribute some of my success on my third lesson to this.

TT: 1.2 (2.3 total)
Landings: 8 (11 total)

That’s it so far. Next lesson is tomorrow morning where we’re forecasting… you guessed it! A direct crosswind!

Cross winds. You are sure asking for it. I got my PPL in a Cub years ago. Started on nice quiet fall days and was getting ready for solo one brisk winter day with a hefty cross wind. It was a different Cub, not the one that I had trained on. This one had a full caster tail wheel. No springs connecting to the rudder horns. Just like the front wheel on a shopping cart. I was winning the battle when I was overcome and defeated by the elements. My first ground loop and my instructor actually enjoyed my destroyed ego. The wing never came close to the ground, only half way. I guess it was good luck that we had a Maine blizzard before my solo. The Cub now had skis and I got that transition. A lot like sea planes. Do not ever taxi down the runway and try to taxi turn to the left when the cross wind is from your right. It won't turn beyond the direct tail wind heading and you need to get out and lift the tail around. In knee deep snow. When on skis, always taxi turn into the wind. First solo next day was perfection.

Fast forward a few years and I was maintaining my Champ and who shows up to de-rope the National Guard Bird Dog parked next to me. A H.S. football pal. He told me that I should join up because they had guys to do all that maint stuff. Fast fwd some more and I was a new Army RW Aviator and about to get an add on as a FW aviator. I had joined up with a FAA Comm ASEL/Inst and was approved for FW. Check out was an hour in a unit Bird Dog. The instructor started to "let the leash out a little" when I reverted to a Cub/Champ take off and cobbed the throttle. I was in awe how fast an O-470 with a climb prop will "torque" you around 90 degrees in the first few feet.

Have fun. It's a hoot. My Luscombe was the best.

Last edited:
Nice!

In the Hatz I can't see anything out front either, but I plan to slip to a greater or lesser degree on all landings. By slipping I can see the runway and it's easy to adjust the degree of slip up or down to maintain the desired glide path.

I'd like to fly a clipwing Cub, I've only flown standard Cubs of varying HP, which are very heavy on the controls compared to my Hatz or my old T-Craft.

I'd like to fly a clipwing Cub, I've only flown standard Cubs of varying HP, which are very heavy on the controls compared to my Hatz or my old T-Craft.

Don't believe any hangar tales about Clipped wing Cubs being some amazing acro performance upgrade. They roll about 10% faster than standard J-3s, but clipping those wings sucks quite a bit more than that out of take off, landing, and climb performance. That being said, I did enjoy my time with one and they look super cool, but if I ever had another J-3, it would be a standard wing.

Congrats on progress! It took me a bit over 100 landings before I felt comfortable with them. Until then it was sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Read the title fast. Thought it said “getting some tail”.

I learned to fly in a stock J3 when I was 15 and it was a good trainer for a number of reasons. Pilots often talk about "seat of the pants" but unless you are sitting in the back seat behind the center of lift you don't really feel it. Also your pitch and yaw visual perspectives are greatly enhanced by sitting back there. People would often ask "can you fly that from the front seat?" to which I'd reply "Have you ever been in the front seat of a J3?" I personally have never seen anyone get up there the same way twice to be honest and nope, it ain't comfortable for anyone over 18.

Oh and uh...ya can't see what's in front of you.

It's an odd part of the pilot psyche though, the challenge to control a cantankerous contraption like that, and then the ultimate - to do it gracefully.

@kaiser where abouts? RAC?

I’ve been talking to the guys at Holiday Airways at 06C. Trying to get on their schedule next week. They have a Cub (maybe the one you’re training in?) and a 170.
For weight reasons, I may be in the 170 but they feel we can try the cub. After that incident at Cub Air maybe I’ll play it safe with the 170.

Looking forward to your next installment!

@kaiser where abouts? RAC?

I’ve been talking to the guys at Holiday Airways at 06C. Trying to get on their schedule next week. They have a Cub (maybe the one you’re training in?) and a 170.
For weight reasons, I may be in the 170 but they feel we can try the cub. After that incident at Cub Air maybe I’ll play it safe with the 170.

Looking forward to your next installment!
I'm training at Holiday Air in their Cub. The plan is to get proficient in it, then move to their 170, then their Stearman.

What incident at Cub Air?

I have my next installment half drafted - just need to finish it. Was great except almost getting run over by a Lance going 3x our speed.

@kaiser i thought both perished but it was the CFI. They renamed the school after her. Very pretty, accomplished pilot and promising college student/young woman.

Sounds like she simulated an engine failure and told the student to attempt the 180 back to HXF. Stall spin close to the ground and she was in the front seat.

This particular scenario isn’t my concern, just worried about pushing the limits of the Cub given bad things could happen even in a beloved classic.

Very sad story.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/fatal-cub-crash-wi.133470/
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/266197
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/07/piper-j3c-65-cub-n42522-accident.html?m=1

Last edited:
@kaiser i thought both perished but it was the CFI. They renamed the school after her. Very pretty, accomplished pilot and promising college student/young woman.

Sounds like she simulated an engine failure and told the student to attempt the 180 back to HXF. Stall spin close to the ground and she was in the front seat.

This particular scenario isn’t my concern, just worried about pushing the limits of the Cub given bad things could happen even in a beloved classic.

Very sad story.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/266197
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/07/piper-j3c-65-cub-n42522-accident.html?m=1
Oh yeah - the Wisconsin one. Didn't remember the name of the school, but I recall the crash. Holiday's is a clipped wing - so while coordination is extra important, it's still a big rudder surface. I'd say don't let this crash get in the way of you getting instruction in it. This cub is a great learning platform to refine your flight control inputs - it's all about stick and rudder!

Also
For weight reasons, I may be in the 170 but they feel we can try the cub
UL on their cub is 505 lbs.

I don't see a difference between a 170, a cub, or really much anything else, in terms of low level stall spin. In not generally a survivable accident, and it's not really that different to let happen in any of them. If you lose power, nose down, only turn if you have the altitude. If you land a cub off airport, they don't have a very friendly interior space and they were not originally equipped with shoulder straps, but they also will land a lot slower and shorter than many other aircraft.

The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.

Max Stanley
(1910 – 1999) American test pilot (Northrup Aircraft)
:)

Ok back again!

The fourth lesson was a nice CAVU day with winds out of the north east, so we figured we'd try again to fly down to Clow (1C5) for a nice N/S runway and just to go somewhere new. We took off eastbound (left crosswind) and I got my first taste of some real zero tech navigation - "head south, look for two identical buildings, stay to the right, then look for x". We got to 1C5 with a few others in the pattern. Luckily our radio didn't work very well - everyone heard us but it was all garbled. As a result, we received lots of commentary on freq (must be that yellow cub... yellow cub we can't hear your transmission... everyone in the pattern there's a yellow cub with bad radio). Very amusing. What was even more amusing was how poorly my landings went (ok CFI thought they were OK, but I'm working on finesse here). My wheel landings were too hard, my 3-pointers were bouncy - I felt like I was hitting a learning plateau. Not much left but to leave back to the north toward home. Which is when things got really interesting.

So we're inside 2 miles south when we hear a Lance call, approaching from the south to cross overhead, left downwind etc etc. Right as I start looking behind me and key the mic he passes us to our left - not 75 feet away, same altitude. YIKES! There was no telling if they saw us - I mean, we're a big bright yellow airplane. After that, salt in the wound was that though we followed him in the pattern at roughly 1/3 of his speed, we almost had to go around because he used the whole 4000 foot runway in the rollout!

TT: 1.2 (3.5 total)
Landings: 5 (16 total)

Lesson Five was this morning! It was a nice right crosswind. It was very warm here (mid 70s by 7am), and so we got to fly with the door open! It takes a little getting used to, but it's fantastic. So then - Wheel takeoff and then off to a small private airfield 20 minutes west called Olson (LL53). It's a 2400 foot narrow paved runway with improved edges and a separate 1000 foot grass runway. unfortunately they hadn't mowed and we remained on the hard surface. The hard surface is fun because although advertised as 70 foot wide, it's only paved for 28 of those feet.

On the way out there we did some spin training / awareness. Though I would be happy never doing it again, I had a lot of fun. We did 1 power off spin and 2 power on spins. This was my first experience playing in the incipient phases of spins - I have only previously let wings drop. The first one was wild and I had to tell the instructor to put in the pro-spin control as I was physically unable to do so. I'm also a giant chicken btw. This cub in power off condition enters a spin quite gracefully. Exits were easy, since the power was off you could theoretically just let go of everything. I wanted to continue being disciplined and thus applied anti-spin controls (PARE). Power on spins were about the same, except it's a much snappier entry. Again the instructor had to help me get into the spin - I just simply didn't want to do it. I did have a lot more fun this time - as it was my second, much less terrifying. On the third try I was able to do the whole thing without any instructor input - other than "ok full left rudder now". By this time I was starting to have fun. Each time we didn't quite get to a full rotation and only lost 400-600 feet of altitude.

Then onward to Olson. With the winds it was a direct crosswind from the right. My first landing was a wheel landing. Decent touchdown but I held the tail in the air a little long and didn't have the best aileron discipline - so it got squirrelly. Immediately bringing in full aileron and adding elevator to lower the tail, I was able to regain control. I never went into the grass, but it was close. The second landing was a 3 point landing which I managed fairly well. The rest of the lesson was uneventful - other than looking out the open door/window and enjoying life at 1000AGL. I buzzed my house (at altitude) and we came back in for a botched wheel - saved by changing over a 3 point landing.

TT: 1.2 (4.7 total)
Landings: 3 (19 total)

I haven’t flown a training wheel airplane in so long, it makes me uncomfortable to think how to land one. But then I haven’t done a three point in so long I’d have to really think about it.

The fourth lesson was a nice CAVU day with winds out of the north east, so we figured we'd try again to fly down to Clow (1C5) for a nice N/S runway and just to go somewhere new. We took off eastbound (left crosswind) and I got my first taste of some real zero tech navigation - "head south, look for two identical buildings, stay to the right, then look for x". We got to 1C5 with a few others in the pattern. Luckily our radio didn't work very well - everyone heard us but it was all garbled. As a result, we received lots of commentary on freq (must be that yellow cub... yellow cub we can't hear your transmission... everyone in the pattern there's a yellow cub with bad radio). Very amusing. What was even more amusing was how poorly my landings went (ok CFI thought they were OK, but I'm working on finesse here). My wheel landings were too hard, my 3-pointers were bouncy - I felt like I was hitting a learning plateau. Not much left but to leave back to the north toward home. Which is when things got really interesting.

:) Not all cubs have radios, but when they do, they're always only working sometimes well, if that makes any sense. Part of it is that the wind blowing around in all sorts of directions, assuming you're flying properly with the window open. Headset folks should test microphones in these planes for "noise cancellation".

Cool to read your reports, has me remembering my slow progress. There were definitely high and low spots. Wheel was always tough for me, 3 point easier. The key to 3 point is getting the speeds right, and I kinda think angle of attack (from looking outside, not a gauge) is at least as important as whatever the ASI says. Maybe just me. Maybe because past the numbers I don't think I look at the airspeed at all.

:) Not all cubs have radios, but when they do, they're always only working sometimes well, if that makes any sense. Part of it is that the wind blowing around in all sorts of directions, assuming you're flying properly with the window open. Headset folks should test microphones in these planes for "noise cancellation".

Cool to read your reports, has me remembering my slow progress. There were definitely high and low spots. Wheel was always tough for me, 3 point easier. The key to 3 point is getting the speeds right, and I kinda think angle of attack (from looking outside, not a gauge) is at least as important as whatever the ASI says. Maybe just me. Maybe because past the numbers I don't think I look at the airspeed at all.
Definitely learned that about the radio! I found with the door open that you have to crouch in a corner of the airplane and cover the much with the other hand - then at least you’re transmitting clearly. I’m flying with A20s (ANR) and found the headset works great with the door open. It’s the transmit part of communications that requires shielding from the wind noise. I find the ANR can keep up with the wind.

In this cub, the only gauge I spend any real time on is the tach. Tach + my outside view tells me everything I need to know for all phases of flight. On final I’ll verify speed especially on a wheel landing, but that’s about it.

Definitely learned that about the radio! I found with the door open that you have to crouch in a corner of the airplane and cover the much with the other hand - then at least you’re transmitting clearly. I’m flying with A20s (ANR) and found the headset works great with the door open. It’s the transmit part of communications that requires shielding from the wind noise. I find the ANR can keep up with the wind.

In this cub, the only gauge I spend any real time on is the tach. Tach + my outside view tells me everything I need to know for all phases of flight. On final I’ll verify speed especially on a wheel landing, but that’s about it.

With a fixed prop tach should be a good indication of airspeed anyway.

Sounds like you're getting it.

Ok. Today was a good one. Winds being light out of the north (4 kt crosswind) my instructor thought it was time for me to get endorsed!

For all of our pattern work, the instructor was silent. We did 3 landings and knowing I was about to solo, I opted for both 3 point and wheel landings. I was quite happy with all of them for the first time in training… probably because these were the lightest winds I’ve ever flown in! All of my take offs were wheel T/Os. I’ve done 3 point and short field but I’m not super comfortable in them yet. Something to work on next time. After the 3rd landing we did a power off 180. It wasn’t my greatest as my wings weren’t exactly level - but easy enough to save.

After that, instructor hopped out, signed my logbook and I went for 3 solo T/Os and Landings. The plane was a completely different animal. Wheel take off with a rolling start - I was in the air in a few hundred feet! All of my trim settings were wrong so I was messing with settings the whole time. As I roll out on final I focus on the basics - 3 point landing. With over 1/3 of my useful load now standing on the ground videoing me, the entire round out, flare, and touchdown was over controlled. I set it down nicely but I used most of the runway haha. I’ll probably post the video on YouTube and share here.

The next landing was much better. Knowing how the aircraft behaves so light, I hit my speeds better and hit my touchdown point as a 3 pointer. My last landing I wanted to challenge myself and wheel landed it. Approach and touchdown we’re nice, though on the rollout it felt to be slowing substantially, so I made the mistake of helping the tail down a bit much. I got a little squirrelly directionally, but nothing I couldn’t immediately correct.

Overall I was happy with 6 of 7 landings and now I’m officially a “real” pilot!

TT: 0.8 / 0.3 solo (5.5 total)
Landings: 7 (26 total)

2F90A77F-8F93-4B8E-B53C-92CFA2D27064.jpeg

Next - more cub time and we’ll start in the 170! :D

Ok… Here’s the video of my first solo landing. I don’t know why he didn’t wait for my second or third to record those - which were much better. You can tell I’m totally over controlling the plane and getting used to not having the extra weight and fwd CG.

Looks good! It is pretty cool how differently they fly with just one person out. When I fly cub, even short field, I don't think I hold the brakes...mostly because I learned on aircraft with the stock brakes, and they usually won't hold the plane anyway. But maybe because that little engine spins up fast, I don't think it makes much difference.

Ok… Here’s the video of my first solo landing. I don’t know why he didn’t wait for my second or third to record those - which were much better. You can tell I’m totally over controlling the plane and getting used to not having the extra weight and fwd CG.

Nicely done.

Some think the first solo is the most daunting. I think it's the second solo. This morning I made sure I didn't have any early meetings and ran over to the airport for some pattern work. Since the owners/managers weren't around, it was a really good test of doing this all truly solo. Winds were light and it was cold out. It has also been 8 days since flying a tailwheel - really my last post when i got endorsed last Saturday. This is top of mind for me.

After a thorough preflight and loading the handhold (incorrectly it turns out), I drug it over to the tiedown spot, tied the tail down, primed it and started it up. Given that it was cold, it still took a few throws to get it started - which makes it amusing. Again, I'm all by myself and it's always started the first time for me. After two attempts, I'm checking everything: primer-locked, throttle-set, mags-on. Ok everything looks good. Keep trying until it fires.

Once it's started up the rest is pretty straight forward. I ended up with 5 T/Os and landings today in about 1.1 hrs - all to a full stop and taxi back. Given the winds were NE, I was using runway 11 at 06C. Unfortunately, this pattern is a very long noise abatement flow as east of the field there are a lot of big expensive and squeaky houses. It's basically, side step to RR tracks, out to a more warehouse looking area (about 1nm from the KORD Bravo surface area), then crosswind and downwind over highways. All of my take offs were great: smooth, controlled, and on center line. They were also all wheel takeoffs. I think because my training started in gusty crosswinds and my first take offs were wheelies, I'm most comfortable with these. I'll be working on short field and 3 pt takeoffs with my CFI next. From my 5 landings, only the first two were really great. The 3rd was ok, I think i had a tiny bit of side load. Easily saved once the tail was locked down with elevator pressure. On the 4th I attempted a wheel landing, which had to be saved into a 3 pointer. In debriefing I think my approach was a little flat and slow. The save itself wasn't hairy, but to a bystander it probably looked amusing. On that note, once my landings got worse, I did check for an audience. I figure if enough people are videoing me, I should probably quit. My 5th landing was the best of the mediocre ones and it was nice to end on a medium note. My biggest issue on number 5 was that I got a wee bit slow and plopped it in a little. The nice thing about this cub is the 3 point attitude is basically at a stalled pitch at landing speed, so bounces or skips are very manageable.

I'm back to dual tomorrow morning before work. I might continue writing in here for a little bit, especially if there are lessons to be had.

TT: 1.1 (6.6 total)
Landings: 5 (31 total)

Just keep at it, you'll be fine.

When a bad landing is embarrassing is when you have thousands of tail wheel landings, and thousands of hours, and land worse than you did the very first time. Been there, done that, have the bruised ego from it.

was that a double-balloon, triple bounce tailwheel landing? I'm impressed! :happydance:

Back