Color matched wing walk

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
I'm riding in the car, and I'm bored. There aren't enough new threads to keep me entertained so I'm starting one. This probably belongs in the "not worthy of its own thread" thread.

Browsing faceballs and saw this ad for a garmin watch. What caught my eye was the lack of a black wing walk under the model. Looked a little closer and can see that they color matched it. Looks nice. Makes it a bit harder to tell people where not to step.

Thought it was cool, and haven't seen it before.

Screenshot_20220506-081143_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Thought it was cool, and haven't seen it before.
Been used where exterior aesthetics are important. You can make your own or buy custom colored cans. I believe Boeing offers a complete color list. You can also get wing-walk with different type grit other than sand like rubber, crushed walnut, etc. Or no grit at all called Type 1 which provides a "rubbery" surface.

How will you tell the brain dead where to step? Don't step on the words "No Step" doesn't seem to work, but most people can figure out "Only step on the black or you will fall through and die".

I have enough problems with people staying on the black with a white wing

How will you tell the brain dead where to step? Don't step on the words "No Step" doesn't seem to work, but most people can figure out "Only step on the black or you will fall through and die".
Don't give rides to people with IQ's below 85?

Don't give rides to people with IQ's below 85?
Last person that did it with me has a master's degree. I think that's an indictment on our education system though.

Last person that did it with me has a master's degree. I think that's an indictment on our education system though.
Intelligent ≠ educated

That seems to be 95% of the population.
I've said it before... one of the things I love about aviation is the general lack of idiots. The other two hobbies I've been deeply immersed in...guns & motorcycles....have some great people in them.... and some real dummies. The ppl seems to be high enough of a bar to exclude the mouth breathers.

Don't step on the words "No Step" doesn't seem to work

Just amazing to me when I point and say ''Do not step where it says NO STEP'' and that is the first place they put their foot....

Just amazing to me when I point and say ''Do not step where it says NO STEP'' and that is the first place they put their foot....
I know. I can’t comprehend it.

In some cases the people are probably "taking it all in" and distracted. It's easy to avoid stepping on the "no step" area when the other aspects of climbing up on to a wing and getting into a new type of vehicle are automatic and the view around you isn't surprising. Being dumb could actually be an advantage in that case. The dumb person isn't stopping to think about "hm, how does this door latch shut and might it pop open" or "wait, am I within arm's reach of the propeller right now?" as they approach the door and get ready to climb in. They're the ones you hear about who did something REALLY dumb though.

Interesting side note. When Mooney added the pilot side door the additional wing walk and step scrubbed about two knots off the top end.

Back