CBD??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I'm getting some shots to ease the pain of a bad knee. They gave me a small packet of CBD ointment to try.
Is this allowed? I'm leery of anything related to cannabis, but heard that it does work to reduce pain.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Voltaren gel OTC will work just as well and not place you under any limelight.

I recommend a test dose, someone close to me applies it and I have to move out of the house during that time.
Sort of a visceral repulsion to the odor.

Voltaren is amazing stuff. Haven’t noticed any odor, other than a little alcohol aroma as it goes on…. Dissipates quickly.

I'm getting some shots to ease the pain of a bad knee. They gave me a small packet of CBD ointment to try.
Is this allowed? I'm leery of anything related to cannabis, but heard that it does work to reduce pain.

Paul
Salome, AZ

There is a remote possibility that you could pop positive for cannabis on a drug test. If you are drug tested for employment, I would recommend avoiding CBD, but everyone that I know that has used it has had very good things to say about it.

Walk through the DC metro anywhere near the Pentagon sometime and you will be bombarded with reminders for anyone with a Clearence about using CBD. If they will yank someone’s security clearance for using it, they can yank your medical.

Walk through the DC metro anywhere near the Pentagon sometime and you will be bombarded with reminders for anyone with a Clearence about using CBD. If they will yank someone’s security clearance for using it, they can yank your medical.

That is so ridiculous.

Rgbeard:
Gel is exactly what we're doing. https://arthritiskneepain.com/locations/phoenix/ My wife has had one knee replaced and is not eager to have the other one done.
I, at 84, absolutely do NOT want to go through knee replacement. We're scheduled for one shot a week for 5 weeks.
I had an injection in the knee (hydroleuronic?) and it did nothing. Possibly a different gel and over multiple weeks is the way to go, I dunno.
After having my TKR, the surgeon prescribed diclofenac for a couple weeks to reduce inflammation. Had to get it from a compounding pharmacy, $125 for a tiny tube. 3 years later, Volataren OTC for $10 for a big tube!

That is so ridiculous.

No, it’s the consequence of zero tolerance for cannabis, because zero means zero.

CBD is also not regulated. You can never be sure there isn’t trace THC in it, enough to trip a test. Yes, it isn’t SUPPOSED to have it, but do you believe that would be a defense? Lol.

we have discussed this before - many threads in search. Recommendation, seek other treatments compatible with FAA certifications.

we have discussed this before - many threads in search. Recommendation, seek other treatments compatible with FAA certifications.

There's always the other option - do what you believe is best for your health and give up flying (or switch to LSA/gliders).

No, it’s the consequence of zero tolerance for cannabis, because zero means zero.

CBD is also not regulated. You can never be sure there isn’t trace THC in it, enough to trip a test. Yes, it isn’t SUPPOSED to have it, but do you believe that would be a defense? Lol.

I'm sure drinking 12 martini's a night is fine though.....

The guys with clearances are probably drug tested. If you're Joe Private Pilot, you're not drug tested unless its for work. You'll be fine to use CBD.

I'm sure drinking 12 martini's a night is fine though.....

The guys with clearances are probably drug tested. If you're Joe Private Pilot, you're not drug tested unless its for work. You'll be fine to use CBD.
Absolutely. No problem. Just call the local FSDO or Dr Chien to confirm Groundpounder's statement.

Absolutely. No problem. Just call the local FSDO or Dr Chien to confirm Groundpounder's statement.

The only way you'd get in trouble is if you are drug tested and there happened to be THC in your bloodstream. The FAA doesn't require drug tests unless you work for an air carrier.

How do you know the CBD cream doesn't have any THC?

You may not be drug tested for work there's plenty of other ways you get a drug test. Have a runway excursion during landing and the FAA asks for a test? Get pulled over and the officer thinks you're under the influence? etc... Do yourself a favor, don't tempt fate.

+1!

But read the directions. Voltaren Gel takes
three or four days to build up any meaningful effect.

-Skip

Thanks to this thread, I tried the Voltaren gel on my knee that gets tendinitis and it seemed to work great (only one test so far, but I'll be using it again this weekend). It takes several days to build up for arthritis but many of the reviewers mention that is works quickly for acute pains.

In going with this thread - I haven't read anything in the scientific literature that CBD does anything but make your wallet lighter. I've read lots of claims in non-scientific literature and anecdotes that it cures everything from cancer to heart palpitations to bad skin to whatever ails you. IME the more something claims to do, the less it actually does. If it really does anything, it's either the placebo effect or there was THC in it.

Thanks to this thread, I tried the Voltaren gel on my knee that gets tendinitis and it seemed to work great (only one test so far, but I'll be using it again this weekend). It takes several days to build up for arthritis but many of the reviewers mention that is works quickly for acute pains.

In going with this thread - I haven't read anything in the scientific literature that CBD does anything but make your wallet lighter. I've read lots of claims in non-scientific literature and anecdotes that it cures everything from cancer to heart palpitations to bad skin to whatever ails you. IME the more something claims to do, the less it actually does. If it really does anything, it's either the placebo effect or there was THC in it.
I had a problem with one of my pinky fingers getting "stuck" in the curled position, and it eventually got to the point where I had to manually straighten it out with my other hand. Quite annoying and uncomfortable. My doc said it was probably an inflamed tendon and suggested Voltaren. Sure enough, a few days of applying it as directed made the problem go away, permanently. Since then I've used it occasionally for joint pain in a couple of other locations. It's not magic, but it does work quite well and I make sure we don't run out.

I've never tried CBD or Blue Emu or some of the other things people swear by, so I can't say whether they are effective or not. I suspect a lot of them get most of their effect from the fact that they need to be massaged in well -- that alone can help with a lot of pain. I've used various other liniments and stuff over the years, like Aspercreme and the various sports creams like Ben-Gay. Voltaren works much better for joint pain than those, and I don't have to be extremely careful not to touch sensitive areas for a few hours afterward.

I found it very interesting that diclofenac sodium (active ingredient in Voltaren) is also prescribed for migraines.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back