Tuba City - T03

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
I have a flight tomorrow to T03.

I read on airnav that there are 6" to 10" pavement heaves 1500' from the threshold of Rwy 15.

That's reasonably scary.

Any real world experience on this? It's reasonable to believe I'll be landing Rwy 15.

Just skip the first 2,000 feet? Any input?

Try to find some pics on the internet? Call the FBO and/or airport? Definitely requires some inquiries. Can't find the airport on Airnav. Tried TO3, and T zero 3, no joy/ WHat's the name?

The A/FD says to call anyhow. So definitely call. Any reason you have to land at Tuba City instead of any airport that doesn’t spend so much of its time warning about 10-inch speed bumps on the runway? Yikes.

It’s T<zero>3. Check the “Comment” (not “Remarks”) on it in Foreflight. It says the air ambulance pilots generally land 33 unless a strong wind dictates 15; and at night, only about the first 4600’ of 33 is lighted, ending about where the bump is.

On a related note, it’s commonly known that Arizona does not recognize Daylight Savings Time. However, Tuba City is in the Navajo Reservation, which does observe DST. Then go a few miles east from Tuba City and you’re in the Hopi Reservation, which though completely encircled by Navajo, does not observe DST.

What time do you have to be there? Are you sure?

:D

You've got a lot of brass attempting a flight to Tuba City.

On a related note, it’s commonly known that Arizona does not recognize Daylight Savings Time. However, Tuba City is in the Navajo Reservation, which does observe DST. Then go a few miles east from Tuba City and you’re in the Hopi Reservation, which though completely encircled by Navajo, does not observe DST.

In ND we have a couple of small counties that fall into two separate timezones. To make it more exciting, the dividing line is east-west in orientation and doesn't follow any easily recognizable geographical feature.

Time_zone_o_rama.jpg

That's why we usually say we will be there in an hour instead of saying we will be there at 2pm. It can be totally confusing. Do I eat lunch now or wait an hour..??:confused:

Try to find some pics on the internet? Call the FBO and/or airport? Definitely requires some inquiries. Can't find the airport on Airnav. Tried TO3, and T zero 3, no joy/ WHat's the name?

Call the FBO.....hee hee hee:lol:........ nothing there except an old building that is marked men/women but it is chained and locked. I never knew it was called anything but Tuba City.

Call the FBO.....hee hee hee:lol:........ nothing there except an old building that is marked men/women but it is chained and locked. I never knew it was called anything but Tuba City.

Oh.... :(;)

Similar problems arise near Page AZ, which like most of AZ does not observe DST, but is sandwiched tightly between the Navajo reservation and Utah, which both do.

Using cellular phones to tell time causes mixups depending on the location of the cell tower you are receiving.

Airnav has the note:
- LIVESTOCK ON ARPT.
- AIRPORT ACCESS BY CALLING INDIAN HEALTH SERVICES SECURITY DEPARTMENT AT 928-283-2501.
I always love seeing notes like that.

Sounds like an interesting place to land. Not much around it though.

Airnav has the note:
- LIVESTOCK ON ARPT.
- AIRPORT ACCESS BY CALLING INDIAN HEALTH SERVICES SECURITY DEPARTMENT AT 928-283-2501.
I always love seeing notes like that.

Sounds like an interesting place to land. Not much around it though.
Yup, when flying to Tuba City pay attention to the notes. Also, watch for the woodwind to bass turn. It could get you in treble.

Take off at night at Tuba is fun. Even with the lights on low, once beyond the runway lights it is a dive into a black hole. Need to be on instruments before leaving the lit area.

Landing at night is fun as well. There is nothing to help depth perception, and the runway appears as if it is floating. It is just a dark hole with some runway lights working.

I never found out why the town is so far away from the airport.

It used to be in the middle of town until a med flight hit a horse on landing. I never experienced it but heard it was sporting dodging the inebriated locals.

Landing at night is fun as well. There is nothing to help depth perception, and the runway appears as if it is floating. It is just a dark hole with some runway lights working.

So Navy flyers will feel right at home then. ;):D

I spoke to airport management today, and was told that the runway has been repaved, and is nice and flat.

Once I confirm this, I'll put an update on Airnav and also circle-back here with the info.

Are there any amenities? Avgas, courtesy car, running water, ...?

Were you dumping a body..???:lol::lol:
Drug Flight. It’s a new charitable organization which parallels the Angel Flight mission. It’s goal is to assist those in need obtain [deleted] when it may not be locally available at affordable rates.

That or it was a chemtrail New Vectors flight to deliver special Cheerios for the local schools.

Absolutely nothing. Asphalt surrounded by dirt.
A beacon, a windsock, a small parking area, and a crappy little building.

Not an uncommon arrangement in New Mexico...except the little building part, crappy or otherwise, and the beacon.

I see that mscard doesn't have an 'ejection handle pulled' stamp on his avatar......

Back when I flew out of Window Rock regularly, going to Tuba City was visiting the "big city."

AirNav might be on to something...
upload_2022-5-6_12-14-6.png

"newly" displaced threshold?

Back