The History (and Future) of PoA Fly-Ins

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
When I joined PoA about 15 years ago there were a good number of annual fly-ins. Wings, Gaston's, generally a big Oshkosh gathering, and of course 6Y9. Generally you had someone championing the gatherings. However times change, members of the community change, and as such things have shifted. AdamZ made Wings what it was, when Diana stepped down from Gaston's that was sort of the start of its decline (although it's not dead).

Winwood (WV62) was another gathering that had promise, but that one fizzled out after a year or two.

To @SixPapaCharlie 's point, it would be nice to have some more fly-ins. @eman1200 and others will be happy to know that I probably won't attend them. But, that doesn't change the fact that some of my best memories include those PoA fly-ins and as the current group of most active community members has changed, I'd hope that the same memories are made for them.

I think if you look at it, there are a few keys to a successful fly-in that stands the test of time.

1) Someone needs to "own" the fly-in. This is really the biggest one. It helps if this person is local to the airport where it gets held.

2) An airport that is otherwise sleepy and becomes more or less dedicated to event is a real positive. This was a negative of Wings. KLOM is a pretty busy field with a lot of other activity, and the FBO there really wasn't that great to deal with (at least in my opinion). Contrast that with 6Y9 (in my opinion the best of the fly-ins), and it's nice to be able to just enjoy the flying and the company.

3) It does help if the airport will allow on-field camping of some sort. This was always a negative of Gaston's. They never allowed camping, and for those of us who travel by motorhome, it's really a positive to be able to camp at the airport.

4) It does help get attention if the sub-forums in Cool Places to Fly have the annual gatherings since a lot of times people need/want to plan them far out in advance. Thanks to @RyanB and the new MC for updating these, getting rid of some of the dead ones and adding in Rough River. As more become traditions, hopefully more will get added and that it's kept up to date. It had gotten fairly stale.

I do hope that some more annual fly-ins can happen.

One fly-in conspicuously absent is one on the left coast. I don't think I'd make it there more than once, but would be good to see one opposite Rough River or similar.

For Gaston's, I think the camping fee is $110 per night Lol.

Good advice and much appreciated. Happy to hear some other things people like and don't like in their fly-ins. I know you will never make everyone happy, nor get everyone to agree on a weekend, but all ideas are welcome and will also give some pointers to make each fly-in unique too.

One fly-in conspicuously absent is one on the left coast. I don't think I'd make it there more than once, but would be good to see one opposite Rough River or similar.

For Gaston's, I think the camping fee is $110 per night Lol.

Good advice and much appreciated. Happy to hear some other things people like and don't like in their fly-ins. I know you will never make everyone happy, nor get everyone to agree on a weekend, but all ideas are welcome and will also give some pointers to make each fly-in unique too.

They'll definitely all have their unique feel to them. Something that keeps the actual attendance affordable I think is a benefit.

A little related to the camping question - I have an unverified .kml file of airports which allow camping, there are a large number of airports on the list.

On an iPad, you download this, go to Files and then send it to ForeFlight as a custom layer. You can open it as an overlay and see the locations.

I cannot upload it for some reason. The zip file is only 15k, seems like it should be easy.

Good thread. I wish we had more fly in activities here in the SW. I think one to monument valley would be nice. Havasu is a good one and Sedona runs a close third. To my knowledge we’ve never done a weekend but I’d be up for that too.

edit: Laughlin/Bullhead City is a good one too.

Last edited:
A little related to the camping question - I have an unverified .kml file of airports which allow camping, there are a large number of airports on the list.

On an iPad, you download this, go to Files and then send it to ForeFlight as a custom layer. You can open it as an overlay and see the locations.

I cannot upload it for some reason. The zip file is only 15k, seems like it should be easy.
Should be able to upload it to Dropbox

For the record if there was a good place to stay a few days for a west coast fly-in, I would be up for incorporating it into a GA vacation, depending on time of year.
Same here.

And what about a digital magazine? I'm pretty sure you guys have tons of stories to tell and knowledge to share. It can start as a simple newsletter, and then see if it can grow into a magazine. That can bring some sponsors in that could partially pay for fly-ins.

Also "Pilots of America" is a great name for a magazine.

Good thread. I wish we had more fly in activities here in the SW. I think one to monument valley would be nice. Havasu is a good one and Sedona runs a close third. To my knowledge we’ve never done a weekend but I’d be up for that too.

Love monument valley, and we love RVing in the 4 corners states. Might get us out there.

That gets brought up occasionally, and then you see that it's 37% further from Denver to San Francisco that it is from Denver to Gaston's, and almost as far to Lake Havasu from Denver as it is to Gaston's. Airport and population density decrease dramatically west of Kansas City.
Perhaps the Rockies and Sierras might have something to do with it too.

2) An airport that is otherwise sleepy and becomes more or less dedicated to event is a real positive. This was a negative of Wings. KLOM is a pretty busy field with a lot of other activity, and the FBO there really wasn't that great to deal with (at least in my opinion). Contrast that with 6Y9 (in my opinion the best of the fly-ins), and it's nice to be able to just enjoy the flying and the company.

3) It does help if the airport will allow on-field camping of some sort. This was always a negative of Gaston's. They never allowed camping, and for those of us who travel by motorhome, it's really a positive to be able to camp at the airport.

MPJ is in the general vicinity of Gaston's, has a paved runway, has tent camping (with raised tent pads) and a bath house next to the runway, is at a State Park and has associated amenities (hotel-style lodge, restaurant, hiking trails, etc.) and I would assume has (low-flying) RV hookups nearby as well.

Del Norte (RCV - Rominger the Astronaut) & Salida (ANK) in Colorado - paved runway, camping, access to running water (e.g. bathrooms with hot water). Crew car at both locations for quick trip into town for groceries, restaurants, etc. Salida - quick flight to Leadville for your certificate.

Ted is right about a number of things:

1) Someone needs to own the flyin. Which basically means someone needs to get the ball rolling. To that end the very best way to start a flyin is to start a flyin. If you want one in CA then find a suitable airport, talk to the FBO and set it up.

2) The right airport helps a lot. A place like Windwood and Rough River are great. Cheap motel rooms walking distance to the airport and community gathering spots ie game room or fire pit. Cooking facilities etc. I really want to start Windwood back up so I hope they call me back. Ted I’d disagree about the cooperation of the FBO at Wings when I did the FlyBQ. They did a lot and offered good fuel discounts. The current situation is however not the same.

3) The camping option is great but a walking distance motel is important. Bathroom facilities & Wx at certain times of year can make camping a tad challenging.

4) Time of year is important. The reason I started Windwood in Oct. was Gastons in June had humidity and heat rates that were through the roof. Rough River bing in April has meant that BrYan ( and lets admit it “ Its all about BrYan”) has had two out of three trips where the turb & winds were so bad that he felt like he was in a Martini Shaker.

5) I do think the best ones are the ones where everyone chips in and owns a particular meal or event

Tailwinds.

I just want to add one more thing. None of these fly ins are" POA fly ins" meaning that they are not, nor have they ever been sponsored by POA. Pilots who participate in POA organize the fly ins and POA provides a space to post about them because they are a benefit to those who participate on the POA board but nothing prevents them from being posted on other aviation forums.

Anyone down for a weekend at DTS and splitting a beach house once the summer beach season cools down a little? There are some massive ones, so we could get a good group together.

Anyone down for a weekend at DTS and splitting a beach house once the summer beach season cools down a little? There are some massive ones, so we could get a good group together.
DTS has been on my list for a while

#metoo

I went to AAF to knockout my Commercial XC and it was nice, but the beachfront wasn’t as nice as it is a little further up the panhandle. Destin or Panama City would be nice.

It’s only about an hour drive for me so I would probably just drive/ fly for the day depending on weather. After Labor Day things normally slow down some but it never really dies down completely anymore it seems. I’ve actually never landed at DTS but is a beautiful area to fly over for sure. Lots of military jets, commercial, GA and helicopters around constantly so head on a swivel. Controllers are used to it and great though. I’ve gotten pretty close to T-38s and F-35s a couple times which was cool.

I’ve flown in there 2 or 3 times and been to Destin 10-15 times. Read the course on the FAA site and it’s a breeze. It’s my favorite beach spot on the coast.
669D21DA-66F7-4EA8-B1E2-58DE0B175D56.jpeg

I'm very very new, but did run across two great airports on my way home. One is Hawthorne Nevada (KHTH). Field is freshly resurfaced, fuel prices are really reasonable and they absolutely love GA. They had two gentlemen that are retired who serve as volunteer attendants and they are very friendly. Two nice crew cars, willing to let people camp on the field and sounds like they roll out the welcome wagon when a group comes through town.

The other is KLKV lake county in Oregon. Currently resurfacing their taxiways, fair fuel pricing and think they'd be open to camping on the field. Lots of back country flying around there, the guy who runs the FBO is a avid back country pilot.

Just offering some info to the discussion, I know someone earlier in the thread suggested a west coast location.

I just want to add one more thing. None of these fly ins are" POA fly ins" meaning that they are not, nor have they ever been sponsored by POA. Pilots who participate in POA organize the fly ins and POA provides a space to post about them because they are a benefit to those who participate on the POA board but nothing prevents them from being posted on other aviation forums.

Thanks, gave me a big chuckle reading this comment in light of your link to work...which I checked cause I used to live in Philly and New Hope.

I own a 3BR/3BA place at Amalfi Coast Resort in Mirimar. My wife and I planned on flying there sometime this fall celebrating our newly acquired empty nester status. I know other owners and could probably arrange a discount. When I rent to other owners I knock 20% off the price (the management company fee).

I own a 3BR/3BA place at Amalfi Coast Resort in Mirimar. My wife and I planned on flying there sometime this fall celebrating our newly acquired empty nester status. I know other owners and could probably arrange a discount. When I rent to other owners I knock 20% off the price (the management company fee).

are you suggesting an impromptu fly in there? I think I can make it that weekend.....

The AZ POA group sort of fizzled out with Covid.

This and Covid made Sedona insufferable as their restaurant, once a rather well-kept-secret, became well known and now has an hour+ wait at all times.
Is that the only good place to go in AZ? Or are you trying to do a better job at keeping the next place secret? ;)

sigh…. I wish there was a convenient better place.

My biz partner lives in Payson and I even like their greasy-spoon diner there.

DA, winds, and terrain might be a pita for smaller planes though.

Back