QUICK POLL FOR EVERYONE: Which are you?

Are you instrument rated?

• Total voters
Look up the stats on the FAA database. Airline pilots are ATPs and don't have an instrument rating. (it's "built in" to the ATP)
What about those of us who had an IFR rating first before the ATP?

Rated - yes

Current (legal per regs) - yes

Proficient (safe to fly precious people) - in glass, yes, flew 2 times in actual yesterday; steam gauge, prolly not this week, working more on that tomorrow.

Rated, current and proficient...we had 1000 foot ceilings and 6 miles visibility last Sunday, so I did 5 approaches and a hold for fun...I only needed 1 approach and a hold to remain legally current until September, but I've learned to "get while the gettin's good".

Rated, yes. Current, yes. Proficient, well, enough to fly single engine approaches last Friday & Saturday.

If we get some nice 1000' ceilings I'll go practice.

I'm rated, but not current nor proficient at this point. My current aircraft is non-IFR, my job limits my opportunities to fly these days, and I just haven't had enough need to fly to travel or use my ticket. Sure I could have kept legal using a sim, but that was far from proficient and safe so what was the real purpose?

I’m instrument rated but don’t have anything witty to add.

OP, what are you working on?

I’m instrument rated but don’t have anything witty to add.

OP, what are you working on?

He's taking a non-scientific survey to find out how many pilots are IR, when the stats are readily available.

This is combating a moron CFI that told him it's only a single-digit percentage.

@kicktireslightfires - did I characterize this correctly?

I'm a currently unemployed former corporate pilot but soon to be airline pilot. Am I allowed to answer?

I have an ATP but am not an airline pilot, how should I answer?
I would answer yes. You are instrument rated although you don't have an instrument rating.

I find it fascinating that 2/3 of poa are (or at least claim to be) instrument rated. I suppose it makes sense that people who love flying enough to seek out and participate in a forum would also be the ones to pursue "advanced" ratings.

I find it fascinating that 2/3 of poa are (or at least claim to be) instrument rated. I suppose it makes sense that people who love flying enough to seek out and participate in a forum would also be the ones to pursue "advanced" ratings.
It could also be a case of a self-selecting dataset.

Leave it to the lawyer to catch that.
I think the distinction in English between something printed on a a piece of paper and privileges is pretty obvious to the literate. But (more lawyerly answer) the "yes" applies either way, unless one is also saying ATPs are not subject to the rules of instrument currency.

I’m just struggling between the title and the instructions…

QUICK POLL FOR EVERYONE:
Please don't answer this if you're an airline pilot.

Well, duh. Airline pilots are such a special breed, they fall under "Homo Rex Volans" - and sometimes "Homo Primis Praefectus"; as opposed to "everyone", which implies a member of the "Homo Sapiens" speicies. :D

Rated: yes. Current: no. Proficient: no.

I am, however, scheduling sessions and an IPC with my CFII.

agree - still a useful poll to give some magnitude of people on this board vs the GA PPL population.

Which means we are all a select crowd of a select crowd. But we all knew that anyway. Excelling in everything, especially ego and humility.

agree - still a useful poll to give some magnitude of people on this board vs the GA PPL population.

Which means we are all a select crowd of a select crowd. But we all knew that anyway. Excelling in everything, especially ego and humility.

You forgot good looking as well :)

I'm more curious as to how many airline pilots that don't have instrument ratings. You know, they skipped that day, nobody noticed they didn't have it, they started flying for pan am in the 1930s before there were instrument ratings, live in a country that can't afford instruments, etc., etc.

How many commercial rates pilots don’t have it? It’s legal to get that rating without instrument - it can’t believe more than a handful do.

How many commercial rates pilots don’t have it? It’s legal to get that rating without instrument - it can’t believe more than a handful do.
I know of several that did it this way, me included.
@Greg Bockelman and @Everskyward as well as my CFII all did commercial before IR.

I know of several that did it this way, me included.
@Greg Bockelman and @Everskyward as well as my CFII all did commercial before IR.
But however you got there, you have a commercial and IR. I wonder how many have a commercial and not IR - and aren’t getting an IR. That’s their end state.

I’ve used my instrument skills at night when I was flying VFR on occasions where there are no ground lights and high clouds.

I believe there are a higher percentage of pilots with an IR today than prior to 1995. GPS, EFBs, and some lowering of the test standards encouraged more pilots to get IR.

Back