Envoy Embraer 175 Loses Winglet

It was Envoy 3729 if anyone needs that. Someone posted a pic of it on Facebook at the gate sans winglet.

Many aircraft with winglets can be dispatched with one removed. Not a big deal. Slight fuel burn penalty and you take a hit in climb weight limits.

Many aircraft with winglets can be dispatched with one removed. Not a big deal. Slight fuel burn penalty and you take a hit in climb weight limits.

This particular flight dispatched with both. One came from together in flight apparently after a mod/sever CAT encounter.

That pirep is hilarious knowing that they landed safely. I imagine it was terrifying if you were on board though.

I hope the pax got 10% off their next flight. Nothing like seeing metal disappear in flight to give you that warm fuzzy feeling.

Looks like they flew pretty close to a storm cell.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f84e603&opt=0 has it up too now

From the article
"
An Envoy Embraer ERJ-175, registration N233NN performing flight MQ-3729/AA-3729 from Charleston,SC to Dallas Ft. Worth,TX (USA), was enroute at FL360 almost overhead Birmingham,AL (USA) when the aircraft encountered moderate to severe turbulence, the crew subsequently issued a pilot's report and advised ATC they had lost part of a wing. The crew decided to divert to Birmingham for a safe landing on runway 24 about 35 minutes after leaving FL360.

A replacement Embraer ERJ-175 registration N246NN reached Dallas with a delay of about 4 hours.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Birmingham about 18 hours after landing.

On May 4th 2022 the FAA reported: "AIRCRAFT ENCOUNTERED MODERATE TO SEVERE TURBULENCE AND POST FLIGHT INSPECTION REVEALED A PIECE OF RIGHT WINGLET MISSING, BIRMINGHAM, AL.", there were no injuries, the damage is unknown.

No right hand winglet seen after landing:
envoy_e175_n233nn_birmingham_220503_1.jpg

"

https://avherald.com/h?article=4f84e603&opt=0 has it up too now

From the article
"
An Envoy Embraer ERJ-175, registration N233NN performing flight MQ-3729/AA-3729 from Charleston,SC to Dallas Ft. Worth,TX (USA), was enroute at FL360 almost overhead Birmingham,AL (USA) when the aircraft encountered moderate to severe turbulence, the crew subsequently issued a pilot's report and advised ATC they had lost part of a wing. The crew decided to divert to Birmingham for a safe landing on runway 24 about 35 minutes after leaving FL360.

A replacement Embraer ERJ-175 registration N246NN reached Dallas with a delay of about 4 hours.

The occurrence aircraft is still on the ground in Birmingham about 18 hours after landing.

On May 4th 2022 the FAA reported: "AIRCRAFT ENCOUNTERED MODERATE TO SEVERE TURBULENCE AND POST FLIGHT INSPECTION REVEALED A PIECE OF RIGHT WINGLET MISSING, BIRMINGHAM, AL.", there were no injuries, the damage is unknown.

No right hand winglet seen after landing:
envoy_e175_n233nn_birmingham_220503_1.jpg

"

wow

edit: I’d forgo part of my wing to not have to go to birmingham too

Yes.

The last time I was there I asked the security guard at the FBO how his day was “Another day in hell…thats birmingham.” was my answer
Fair enough. Just curious. I’ve been there a few time and enjoyed it… of course I ventured off airport. I like Huntsville better for a northern AL city though.

Not sure asking a singular local would define an area for me. I’ve met people in Alaska that thought they live in heaven and some who thought it was hell.

To each their own. My village born/primarily city raised Athabaskan wife and I like both Alabama, Alaska and many places in between. We are looking forward to retiring in Southern Appalachia and visiting Alaska semi-regularly.

Fair enough. Just curious. I’ve been there a few time and enjoyed it… of course I ventured off airport. I like Huntsville better for a northern AL city though.

Not sure asking a singular local would define an area for me. I’ve met people in Alaska that thought they live in heaven and some who thought it was hell.

To each their own. My village born/primarily city raised Athabaskan wife and I like both Alabama, Alaska and many places in between. We are looking forward to retiring in Southern Appalachia and visiting Alaska semi-regularly.
Come on down!

Back