New

NicoleW

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mrs Nicole
New to Pilots of America. Fairly new to flying, as I've only been flying for about 9months. I could not love something more. The beauty and freedom. Any general advice would be welcomed. Looking to buy a Mooney, so anyone know where the decent mechanics/service is (for the future).
Nicole

Bonanza

also - welcome to PoA!

Howdy. Mooneyspace is a great resource to learn of the preferred Mooney shops.

Welcome, Nicole! The Moonies will be along momentarily, I’m sure. Meanwhile, grab a donut and pull up a keyboard.

What part of the country are you in?

Hey Nicole.

Can't answer your question.

Just beware you need to have a thick skin over any post or question on this board....
I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully I can handle it. I've had to a lot in my life from the Navy to being a surgeon, they all seem to go hand in hand.

I've never said oops in front of pax, but I have said "oh [feces]" while on the take off roll. That made them feel real comfortable while the trees got bigger in the windscreen.
I would do that to a few people. Or intentionally stall the plane and act like I didn't know what was happening.

Ignore the "Mooneys are hot" crap and manage your speed on final. 1.3 Vs works just fine. Depends on your mission which model works best. I did a 570 mile each way commute weekly for several years and the 252 was perfect for me. Less than that I wouldn't consider a turbo. They are fabulous airplanes. I miss mine, just didn't have a use for it. Try for one with speed brakes, they are great.

Welcome, Nicole! The Moonies will be along momentarily, I’m sure. Meanwhile, grab a donut and pull up a keyboard.

What part of the country are you in?
I travel a lot for work. Story of many of our lives. So half in TN and half in NY/CT. Hence the flying. Might as well enjoy it!

I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully I can handle it. I've had to a lot in my life from the Navy to being a surgeon, they all seem to go hand in hand.
Alrighty then. You probably needed no warning from me!

Strive to work within your limits.
Strive to reduce your limitations.

Anytime you hear a pilot say, "Oops," it means that said pilot has just pushed (or exceeded) his limits.
If you hear, "Whew", it means he got away with it.

I travel a lot for work. Story of many of our lives. So half in TN and half in NY/CT. Hence the flying. Might as well enjoy it!
Sounds like you need a good mechanic both north and south

New to Pilots of America. Fairly new to flying, as I've only been flying for about 9months. I could not love something more. The beauty and freedom. Any general advice would be welcomed. Looking to buy a Mooney, so anyone know where the decent mechanics/service is (for the future).
Nicole
Welcome to POA.

I've never said oops in front of pax, but I have said "oh [feces]" while on the take off roll. That made them feel real comfortable while the trees got bigger in the windscreen.

In a galaxy far far far away, I was flying with the Company pilot in our B55 Barron. We were over the mountains and with very smooth air we were starting to nod off. To stay alert we used to play a game picking out emergency landing spots just in case the fans stopped working. My coworker, the Architect, was sound asleep and woke to us saying things like, "I think I could get it into the pasture", and "I think landing along that stream would be better". Needless to say he awoke rather excited at our comments.

This was at 6Y9 and I was taking 2 girls up for their first flights. I had left the pitot cover on, and was at about the hump when I said "oh ****." I just used GS on the GPS, and when to Land O Lakes for a longer runway to remove it. They were much less worried, after I cleaned up the plane, and told them the details.

So you left the cover on before the hump, very interesting.

I have caught myself a few times saying ‘oh crap’ or something along those lines- usually on takeoff roll. It’s always (so far) been that I forgot to grab something, call somebody or some other non flying related issue. That doesn’t matter to the people riding with you. I’m working on that! I’ve only been flying 29 years this year; I’ll get it one day!

oh, and welcome to POA!

So there I was in the cockpit...

My palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms were heavy
There's vomit on my flight jacket already, mom's spaghetti
I'm nervous, but on the surface I looks calm and ready
To drop landings, but I keep on forgettin'
What my CFI wrote down, the ATC crowd goes so loud
I key the mic and open my mouth, but the words won't come out
I'm chokin', how, everybody's jokin' now
The clocks run out, times was up, over,
Snap back to reality, there goes gravity
There goes Rabbit, I choked
I was so mad, but I won't give up that easy? No

So I gathered myself, and calmly spoke in to the mic. "Uh, tower, this is Arrow, um.. something. I'm West. Or East. Well I can see mountains, the ocean is behind me. Yeah that's where I am. I would uh... like to land."

"Welcome back Arrow. Hang in there, one of these days you will get it right. You are cleared to push the 'land' button."

I have caught myself a few times saying ‘oh crap’ or something along those lines- usually on takeoff roll. It’s always (so far) been that I forgot to grab something, call somebody or some other non flying related issue. That doesn’t matter to the people riding with you. I’m working on that! I’ve only been flying 29 years this year; I’ll get it one day!

oh, and welcome to POA!

Hello Nicole,
Welcome to POA,

most of my Oh Crap moments are like...
...I left keys in ___________ (Home, car, office, baggage compartment, pocket, etc)
...I forgot to remove the Chocks
... There went the Cowl Plugs
... I just about swallowed my Microphone muff
... I just stuck Twinkie Cream filling all over my microphone
... How did that just fall into the gas tank (just spent the afternoon fishing a gas cap out of a gas tank)

I am sure there are plenty more.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Howdy Nicole. Welcome.

Back