That awful time of the year....

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Once again it's lovebug season in central Florida. These ugly, vile insects have only one natural predator: the motor vehicle. What a freakin' mess they're making of our car and trucks. I've suspended all motorcycle operations until this plague has passed.

Grumble grumble grumble......

Once again it's lovebug season in central Florida. These ugly, vile insects have only one natural predator: the motor vehicle. What a freakin' mess they're making of our car and trucks. I've suspended all motorcycle operations until this plague has passed.

My first introduction to those bugs was driving from Orlando to Melbourne.... it sounded like it was raining, but it was a bright sunny day. huh?

blech.

My first introduction to those bugs was driving from Orlando to Melbourne.... it sounded like it was raining, but it was a bright sunny day. huh?

blech.

Wikipedia:
Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die in large numbers on automobilewindshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[2] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[9]

I thought you were a couple weeks late... April 15th. But while I haven't directly witnessed lovebug season I have heard of how nasty it is.

I hear Illinois is nice. It was gloomy and barely 50 today. In May!

Bounce dryer sheets work great to remove them. Wet the car, wipe/scrub the lovebug carcasses with a Bounce sheet, hose off.

Actually, just soaking for 10-15 minutes with a wet towel will get them off IF they haven't already eaten into the paint. Unfortunately, that only takes a few hours, so if you're out running errands by the time you get home the acid in the suckers has already done damage.

Actually, just soaking for 10-15 minutes with a wet towel will get them off IF they haven't already eaten into the paint. Unfortunately, that only takes a few hours, so if you're out running errands by the time you get home the acid in the suckers has already done damage.
How does ceramic coating hold up against these things. I catch my share of Arizona bugs and they tend to just rinse off with little effort. No scrubbing needed

You need to add this into your "don't come live in Florida" rant.

Not just Florida. They’re bad in lower Alabama. Cleaning my car everyday this time of year isn’t one of the things I miss about being stationed at Ft Rucker.

Up here Carpenter Bees are out in force right now. Not a threat to your car but they sure tear up homes.

Back