Best airport for NYC?

pdonahue

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
pdonahue
I'm going to midtown Manhattan for a week in July. Where should I go if I want a GA-friendly airport that's close to some sort of public transportation? TEB? FRG? Something else that's further out but either friendlier or closer to a train station (so fewer transfers)?

(It seems like this would have been asked before but I only saw a thread from 2011.)

I used to use LDJ (Linden). There's a NJ Transit station not too far from the airport that will get you to NY Penn Station in about 35-40 minutes.

White Plains is ~10mins by Uber to a 30min Metro North train into Grand Central. Ramp fees are not small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have landed at Caldwell (CDW) and hopped a bus into NYC, not sure if its the closest but as I recall there were no ramp fees. It was a short walk from the FBO to the bus station.

BDR — in Stratford/Bridgeport, CT. Take an Uber to Bridgeport or Stratford Metro North Station — each a 10 minute ride. Train to Grand Central is less than an hour.

Nice airport.

Personally I like ISP, the destination of my first solo IFR flight back in 1992 (yes I've been there since :D).

Which FBO do you recommend at these airports? It looks like FRG and BDR and ISP all have multiple choices.

I hadn't considered CDW but, assuming the bus schedule is OK, that looks like a decent option.

Back