Vmc Roll

Would a twin rudder twin engine have more rudder available - as a rudder would be in the slip stream of the good engine ?

Would a twin rudder be safer?

Would a twin rudder twin engine have more rudder available - as a rudder would be in the slip stream of the good engine ?

Depends (doesn’t it always?)

Did the designer compensate for the fact that there are two vertical stabilizers by making them smaller, so both are necessary to recover, or did s/he just use the dimensions “usual and normal” for singles of that size/horsepower?

I've often thought about this myself. My counter argument (thought exercise only) is at full rudder you're also going to have one of those twin rudders generating drag on the wrong side.. but maybe it's a net positive from the good engine slipstream?

I guess a good test would be going through some single engine exercise in a Beech 18! The Lochkeed Lodestar had twin rudders as well.. though I always thought that was for hangar clearance purposes.

How much altitude does the PTS allow?
Now? Zero. I don't remember what they actually did allow, and the ACS is more about starting at an altitude where you can recover above 3,000 AGL. But if you have to explain a joke, it means you didn't make a very good joke. Sorry about my failed humor. :)

Now? Zero. I don't remember what they actually did allow, and the ACS is more about starting at an altitude where you can recover above 3,000 AGL. But if you have to explain a joke, it means you didn't make a very good joke. Sorry about my failed humor. :)
It’s not zero now, it’s technically “no limit”.
But I did see the humor, especially after my Dad had roughly the same experience that I posted earlier. ;)

I’m getting a new sense that a GA twin aircraft wants to kill you while making you poor…..

And twins do it twice as fast.

Back