Garmin 480 Waas

Dan Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dgplo
I’m looking at buying a GPS. I’m a VFR pilot who may eventually go for instrument training. Can anyone tell me how the Garmin 480 Waas compares to the 430 Waas? The 480 seems to be a good gps and goes for about 2-3k less than the 430w.

I’m looking at buying a GPS. I’m a VFR pilot who may eventually go for instrument training. Can anyone tell me how the Garmin 480 Waas compares to the 430 Waas? The 480 seems to be a good gps and goes for about 2-3k less than the 430w.
Our flying club has a CNX80 (the same unit, but sold by Apollo before Garmin acquired the asset) for sale.

In my opinion, the 480 is a nice step up from the 430/530 design.

• Navigation through the software is more logical.
  • The soft keys make things easier to find.
  • Larger screen than the 430
  • Can do impromptu holds
  • Can do Victor airways without requiring each and every intersection to be inputted
…and more.

Is 480 support any worse than 430 support? My impression is that Garmin will drop whatever support they do sooner. I realize the 430 is getting close to that point as well.

If you’re only flying VFR, just buy a handheld or, preferably, just use ForeFlight. You’ll get better functionality at a tiny fraction of the cost. Save your money for something more modern if you do go for the IR.

The 480 has zero repair support from Garmin at this point. You can still get database subscriptions for them, but Garmin ended any sort of repair support several years ago. People who are really passionate about their 480s have been buying up spares. The 430/530 W and non-W units generally still have repair support for now, though I’d expect that to end in the next couple years.

The non-W 430/530 aren't supported either.

The "support" for most Garmin avionics is largely illusory.

Indeed. Given they cost the equivalent of an economy class new car (pre-2021 inflation), I'm actually put off that they don't come with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty...

All 14/28 and 28v with 16W comm GNS non-WAAS units are still supported for repair. They won’t do the WAAS upgrade anymore however.

Garmin doesn't even support their CURRENT products.......like the Aera 660
You know there's a massive difference in support between certified products and portable products, right? The cost to repair ANYTHING on the certified stuff is greater than the purchase price of a 660

The only thing I don’t like about the 480 is I can’t connect to a flightstream unit. At least the 480 does Victor airways and super easy random holds.

If you already have the Nav/comm side covered, I'd just go with the cheapest current production waas navigator. /G filing capability (with WAAS alternate filing) is the thing I make the most use of. I relegate secondary comms and localizer receiver as distant second and third. Given most cockpits currently have some form or localizer, the expense of an all in one nav/comm/gps box seldom pencils out for me. I say that as someone who flies behind a 430w mind you, but I didn't pay to install it. When it bricks I'll obviously slap another one in there in order to keep my IFR travel capes, but I'd never incur an initial installation in anything orphaned at this point.
Good luck.

If you already have the Nav/comm side covered, I'd just go with the cheapest current production waas navigator. /G filing capability (with WAAS alternate filing) is the thing I make the most use of. I relegate secondary comms and localizer receiver as distant second and third. Given most cockpits currently have some form or localizer, the expense of an all in one nav/comm/gps box seldom pencils out for me.
Yup, and I'd take it even a step further to say that the existing NAV is the starting point. Adding a missing COM is relatively easy.

Last time I looked, a GNS480 was in the $4000-$4500 range while a GPS175 is in the $4500-$5000 range.

[QUOTE="asicer, post: 3247526, member: 24262"
Last time I looked, a GNS480 was in the $4000-$4500 range while a GPS175 is in the $4500-$5000 range.[/QUOTE]
We have been trying to sell ours for a year at $2000 and not getting any serious inquiries.

If you’re only flying VFR, just buy a handheld or, preferably, just use ForeFlight. You’ll get better functionality at a tiny fraction of the cost. Save your money for something more modern if you do go for the IR.

I second this opinion. Sentry+iPad+Foreflight subscription will give you all the functionality you could need as a VFR pilot, and it'll be much easier to use, all for much less money. I see really no advantages to owning a built-in GPS unit (esp a basic/dated GPS unit) as a VFR pilot.
For example, I have two dated VFR GPS units in my plane that I've never used simply b/c there's no point when I have a big iPad screen in front of me and a Sentry with a battery that lasts forever.

My advice, for what it is worth, echoes hindsight2020and asicer. It can get pretty expensive adding panel mounted units. For VFR -- not worth the expense. If you get serious about an instrument rating, do something like a 175. If a few years goes by before you start the IR, there will probably be other units that may even be less expensive.

Thanks for all your advice. I'm going to mount an aera 660 in the plane, utilizing my GDL 50. Will also fly with Foreflight. I have a nav/comm now with King VOR/Glideslope indicators...the plane is IFR capable...but I'm not an IFR flyer. You just saved me all sorts of $$'s.

At some point I will swap out my audio panel...old KMA 20, for a PSE 8000BT. When the work is being done, I may go for the Garmin 175 and remove the vacuum system for either the Aspen E5 or the Garmin G5's...

Another member of our group has the responsibility of selling the 480 and other items pulled when we upgraded. I’ll ask him about eBay.

Send me a message and will give my contact info. I might be a buyer for a good working unit for a back up.

Send me a message and will give my contact info. I might be a buyer for a good working unit for a back up.
Just supply your details and I’ll pass on

When you're doing the math that you need to consider when making your decision... a big chunk of the cost is related to the installation and any cutting of the panel that might be needed. A 430 is the same size as a GTN650 but a 480 is kind of unique in size and doesn't allow you to use the same spot for something different in the future.

I had a 480 and they are excellent units, but I wouldn't invest in a fresh install of one. They are a great deal if you already have a 480 and need to get a used replacement that would essentially be plug and play.

The 480 far outclasses the 430- airway input, hold programming, and form factor alone are reasons to get it instead of a 430. Do you want to cut a hole in your panel and pay for the IFR certified installation of a 20 year old box?

If you are trying to be economical and want to get your instrument rating I would suggest getting it with whatever avionics you have (ie no GPS). Maintaining situational awareness without a magenta line in the clouds is a skill worth having. Then when you are rated and decide you really need to "go places" IFR you can figure out the best box to get to gain access to RNAV approaches.

Back