Is the phrase "rolling" useful?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
We all learned that "with you" is doubly redundant but what about "rolling". When talking to tower, is the declaration that you are "rolling" actually useful?

There are only 2 situations I use this. When the runway isn't visible to the tower or the "go" portion of stop n goes at night.

For example:
Twr: Bugsmasher 12A, runway 34, cleared for takeoff.
Bugsmasher: 12A, cleared for takeoff on runway 34.
(Tower can't see half the runway)
(A moment later)
Bugsmasher: 12A rolling

We all learned that "with you" is doubly redundant but what about "rolling". When talking to tower, is the declaration that you are "rolling" actually useful?

There are only 2 situations I use this. When the runway isn't visible to the tower or the "go" portion of stop n goes at night.

For example:
Twr: Bugsmasher 12A, runway 34, cleared for takeoff.
Bugsmasher: 12A, cleared for takeoff on runway 34.
(Tower can't see half the runway)
(A moment later)
Bugsmasher: 12A rolling
I’ve never heard anyone say “rolling” after a takeoff clearance. I have heard planes say they’re rolling after tower clears them for takeoff then makes another radio and say no delay. Your example doesn’t really make sense to say rolling. Cleared for take off is cleared for takeoff. No need to add anything special.

towered: nah
non twrd: eh, maybe, but mostly nah

No, it is not useful.

Reference the AIM (Chap 4) and the Pilot/Controller Glossary for best radio practices.

When I was getting my private pilot license back in the late 80s, and as a PPL in the 90s, it was very common phraseology after a takeoff clearance, at least where I was flying.

We did not do the readbacks the same way that they are being done today.

Fogerty beez "rollin' on the river!"

I report "rolling" when instructed to do so by the tower. Hasn't happened often, but now and then when cleared take-off early or lined up waiting for suitable weather.

When in icing conditions in larger jets, it is often necessary to do a run up in the 5-30 second range right before applying takeoff thrust. Sometimes pilots will make a “rolling” call to tower when this run up is completed, but I don’t unless requested. I doubt it is useful unless requested by tower. I think ive also heard it used during glider towing operations on takeoff.

I’ve made the rolling call when the tower has asked me to expedite on takeoff.

Same... Especially in a jet because it takes a few seconds for the engines to spool so they won't see you move right away, there are a bunch of pre-takeoff switches to flip and sometimes you do a static takeoff - all of that can add time which they don't want you to take in an expedited clearance. Saying "rolling" lets them know I understand the urgency, I've already moved the throttles, will deal with the switches on the roll and will do a rolling takeoff run.

If you are not ROLLING after you acknowledged the takeoff clearance, you're doing it wrong. About the only thing I do after being cleared for takeoff is turn on the strobes.

Years ago when Margy was a student pilot at IAD, we went up in the tower. The controller cleared a 172 for takeoff and then went on to check something else. He turned back a minute later to see the 172 still sitting on the piano keys. He made some disparaging comment about student pilots but then remembered who were were and apologized to my wife.

"on the roll" is something I've heard frequently enough to know that it's usually an assurance that you're not gonna clog things up for a guy on short final.

Just use the 90% rule: things you think sound cool in your head are 90% less cool uttered aloud. This rule applies typed internet content, also. Of that I am 100% certain.

I say it really don’t effin matter what is said. If I can’t be violated for it, it’s irrelevant what one pilot says vs another.

Fogerty wrote that one (see post # 10). Just for the trivia minded ...
I particularly like that cover of Proud Mary for the (ahem) visual and aural effects.

No

controllers appreciate rolling take offs but nobody is required or encouraged to actually say it

How about ‘on the go’? Said that a few times.

I had a departure control at an untowered airport ask me this.
He gave me a clearance without a void time. That hasn’t happened, so I called back and said, “for clarification ,am I cleared for departure?”
He replied, “are you rolling”.
My reply, (confused), “um I can be in 20 seconds”
Departure: “great, cleared, frequency change approved”

I thought it was a little strange but I went with it.

Well, I've been cleared for take-off before being ready several times and instead of canceling the take off clearance was told told to report rolling. One example beeing lined up and checking the departure sector with the weather radar before starting the take-off roll.

I report "rolling" when instructed to do so by the tower. Hasn't happened often, but now and then when cleared take-off early or lined up waiting for suitable weather.

What Spinka said.
If they ask me to say it, I say it.
Otherwise it's just a standard read back and a fare thee well.

BTW:
As long as I'm here, there is a lot of discussion about good radio language/usage.
I will say whatever I need to say to make my self completely understood.
Over the years, some tower jockeys have screwed up pretty badly while using the Marconi.
Some airplane jockeys have been even worse.
I would rather say what I think I need to say then to end up dead because someone didn't understand what was about to happen.
JMHO&H

I had a departure control at an untowered airport ask me this.
He gave me a clearance without a void time. That hasn’t happened, so I called back and said, “for clarification ,am I cleared for departure?”
He replied, “are you rolling”.
My reply, (confused), “um I can be in 20 seconds”
Departure: “great, cleared, frequency change approved”

I thought it was a little strange but I went with it.

I used to fly out of an uncontrolled airport that you did not get a void time and hated that. One day we called for our clearance but ATC would not release us because a trainer had been released. I contacted the trainer on Unicom and found out it would be a while until they were ready for takeoff. I later had a talk with the instructor about not getting a release until they were ready for takeoff.

Yes use it if appropriate…particularly if there are more than a few in the pattern and somebody calls a three mile final..

fwiw, on the .mil tac/trainer side, 'rolling' is a MAJCOM-recognized suffix to our "ready for takeoff" (or equivalent) call to tower, in order to signify intention not to perform a static takeoff. This is most often relevant in the context of formation work, where the process of static TO runway alignment is time consuming (we are training folks after all) and can mess up arrival flow for the tower. Four-ship static even more so. Even for singletons, tower will occasionally ask the #1 dude/dudette at the hammerhead (run up area) if they can "accept a roller". Tower recognizes the significant time delays a static often presents, so stating that intention is of consequence to them, hence the term officialized on our airfield ATC supplement docs.

The 'rolling' call allows us to "feed the fight" and get the airplanes airborne in time for the arrivals to meet their minimum alternate runway separation (.mil fields only). Sure, the neighbors then have to content with a 4x10sec afterburner passes, but hey: Lead, Follow or get the f--- out the way type of thing.

Now as to why the term would be used in .civ land? Dunno. Cultural appropriation is a thing it seems. Ask RV pilots about it sometime. :D

to signify intention not to perform a static takeoff.
In the .mil world is a static takeoff one where you stop somewhere on the runway centerline before takeoff? Me and my CFI once displeased a tower when we were cleared for takeoff and I stopped at the threshold in preparation for a short-field (the POH says to hold the brakes and run up the engine). The controller didn't say anything about an immediate, so I suspect they were being short-sighted (it doesn't take *that* long to run up a Skyhawk).
Even for singletons, tower will occasionally ask the #1 dude/dudette at the hammerhead (run up area) if they can "accept a roller".
I'm often asked if I can "accept an immediate". When I reply with an affirmative, I get "cleared for immediate takeoff". If I'm feeling cheeky, I might read back with "cleared for takeoff, rolling". But mostly I just do the boring "cleared for takeoff" readback.

This is silly imo. I don’t personally care for when someone says “rolling”, but it’s just an acknowledgment of the take off clearance.

Most of you guys that are so critical on exact verbiage, take longer to spit out your concise calls. I hear it constantly. Airline guys are lax on calls, but the cadence, and more importantly understanding with ATC, is superior.

Back