PMA-450B Audio Panel and iPad connection Issue

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
My new Navion panel has a PMA-450B audio panel and a GNX 375 and Aspen 2000 Pro Max PFD/MFD. I use a Bose A20 headset. I also run Foreflight on an iPad mini. Before engine start I have the iPad BT’d to the A20 so I can hear the FF checklists. After engine start and I turn on all the avionics the iPad shows it’s BT connected to the A20, the 375 and to the BT2 module of the 450B. However I can no longer hear any audio alerts or the checklists from FF on the iPad. I can see the checklists going through the items but I hear nothing. Any ideas what the problem may be? It’s probably some configuration setting. I have my iPhone connected to the BT1 module of the 450B. Does anyone else have this audio panel and use it in a similar way? I do hear all the audio warnings from the Aspens and the trim alerts from my 55X AP. Any suggestions, recommendations?

thx
Leo Langston

The A20 and 450B are in a dual. Disconnect the A20 and report back.

I connect the headset to the iPad at first because the 450B isn’t powered until after I get the engine started. I wanted to hear those prestart checklists. But I figured it out today at the plane. You have to be sure that the pilot has BT2 listed in the Entertainment/Music Distribution menu settings. Apparently I had modified that setting to have Music 1 and BT1 on the pilot position. So without BT2 you can hear the iPad at all. I guess you can only have 2 connections at one time. I cycled through all the possible settings and you can’t have 3 items at once. Once I added back BT2 the iPad checklists were easily heard in my headset. I guess I should disconnect BT1 (my iPhone) during flight and reconnect after landing if I need to make a call.

Leo, I really appreciated getting your email this morning, I'm glad to know that after our email exchange, the ability to select Music 1 and BT1 solves your particular situation.
Thanks for being our customer.
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Another thing I have decided to do is just listen to the iPad prestart checklists without the headset and then listen to the rest after engine start through the headset. That seems to work fine.

Back