Chances the FAA will deny me for these yeses in 17a and 18 after approval from doc?

S

Screw(ed) ball?

This may get long since I get into detail and disclose too much and get into what I’m trying to do proactively and and and and and…

I’m pretty healthy and avoid doctors unless absolutely necessary. It’s been more than three years. I even had my daughter in a homebirth in 2009. No, I’m not of the ivermectin-cures-covid/lavender-essential-oil-cures-ebola people. I just think that people are too quick to run to the doctor for sniffles and sneezes.

But I have some yeses anyway:

17a—Claritin 10mg, as needed
18e—pollen
18u—gall bladder in 2010, hit by a car leaving to a gut issue in the 1990’s
18x—tonsils out in 1989, nipping/tucking after a lot of weight loss in 2013 and 2015

That typo in 18u is deliberate here since I made the same spelling mistake on my MedXpress form. My parents decided on the tonsils, the nipping/tucking was because 270 pounds of weight loss leads to a lot of excess skin that can get raw and infected, and the other things were emergencies, and my goal was to not die.

However, my exam with the AME went fine. I left the office last week with a 3rd class cert.

But now I wouldn’t even worry about if the FAA will deny me, except that I logged into the website to print off a copy of the form since I keep everything in hard-copy, and saw the application status tab when I did so. Fantastic…. Something to refresh 50 times a day. Got my cert a week ago, and the status is still at “imported.” I know docs have 14 days to get those in.

Then I started to worry about if those yeses above are going to screw me, and started trying to find out the odds I’m going to end up crushed. I don’t remember the names of my doctors from the stuff in 2010 and back. I never thought that those were things to bother with remembering. At least I remember where the nipping/tucking was done, though not the doctor’s name, though that office would have that on file, of course. If more info is needed, this is all I’ve got to hand over. (Funny thing, though, is that I have my very original vaccine record, the physical record, from early childhood. Go figure.) If it matters here, I had a rupture when I was in that accident, lost some intestine. No bag or anything. No issues in well over 20 years.

Now I’m trying to find an AME within 100 miles, or farther if need be, tbh, to establish a primary care relationship. I figured that would also be handy if I were to want to do something like get Botox. Someone who knows what’s allowed and what’s not, to directly consult before doing a damned thing, because I’m now wondering if I should have said no to the medication since I haven’t taken any in a couple months (but I checked yes because it never crossed my mind to not take if it needed), or if 18x should have been in 18u, though 18u was about hospitalizations, which those ones were, and 18x was about “other illness, disability, or surgery,” and those ones were surgeries that were outpatient.

I start flight school the second week in May, am already doing flights with my instructor, and for good measure, am researching aviation mechanics and brushing up on physics because I want to know more detail than the Jeppesen Private Pilot book goes into. I don’t just want to know what to do, but why, and how it works (fun watching NASA and Scientific American disagree with each other). I’m trying to prepare myself for heartbreak, but am I doing that for no reason, or is there a chance I’ll be denied for not being of 100% perfect health my entire life.

WHAT TO DO, INTERNET PEOPLE. What. To. Do?

Relax.

I’m not a doctor, but none of those things sound like FAA alarm bells to me.
Your AME issued the 3rd class.
The computers will catch up eventually.

Go train!

Relax.

I’m not a doctor, but none of those things sound like FAA alarm bells to me.
Your AME issued the 3rd class.
The computers will catch up eventually.

Go train!

Thank you. Hopefully you’re right, and you’re probably right and I’m worrying for nothing. Does the FAA in OKC sit there reviewing all medical certs with fine-toothed combs, or is that really just deferred ones? Do the certs issued by AMEs generally go right through? Admittedly, I may be crossing appointments resulting in issued certs with appointments resulting in deferrals.

I got the medical done before enrolling in anything, doing any flights, anything, and thought that what was issued in the office was it. Quite surprising to find out about another layer, and then researching to find out the probability of getting denials.

This is just something I’ve wanted to do for as long as I can remember. My dad was in the Airforce, my grandparents were both in the Airforce and met on a base, I wanted to go into the Airforce, but couldn’t (I was forced to drop out of high school, no one brought up a GED, which I found out about years later and got, but too late), have so many happy memories of the base and flight shows, my grandfather taught pilots to fly….

The expense always put me off, but my husband’s company’s CEO inspired me to go for it with what happened to her fiance who died 15 years ago, and I’d be crushed to be forced to stop. It’s so important to me that I told no one at all, even my husband, before I did the medical and took my first flight, because I didn’t want to jinx anything. (Husband is entirely supportive and excited about this, and he cares less about the expense than I do because he knows it’ll make my heart happy, but not as happy as he does.)

And already flying. First flight was a couple days ago. :) Tomorrow, weather permitting (the Pacific Northwest…rain…lots sometimes), I’ve got a discovery flight scheduled with my 12-year-old daughter so that she can go up. It’s one of her dreams, and she won’t know until I pick her up from school at lunch. Next flight time for me is Thursday. I’ll only have about 6 hours logged before ground starts, but here’s hoping there’ll be champagne in the near future. :) (But no, not before flying.)

Thank you again. <3

Gallbladder removed or stones you still might have? If it's out, that's good, and will not be an issue. "Manifest recovery, no issues." If it's still there with possible stones that might be more complicated. None of the rest should be a concern at all.

Gallbladder removed or stones you still might have? If it's out, that's good, and will not be an issue. "Manifest recovery, no issues." If it's still there with possible stones that might be more complicated. None of the rest should be a concern at all.

Stones are in a jar somewhere downstairs, and my gall bladder itself presumably ended up in an incinerator on 2010. My AME didn’t ask about this. I just told him gall bladder out, and otherwise we moved on. I’ve got a 4” scar from it that’s documented. Is that enough? Or will I need to try to remember where on earth I had emergency surgery done when it’s a place I’ve otherwise never been to? Should I expect to have to go get a scope shoved in me to show it’s not there? I’ve never even heard of dealing with gall stones without just taking the whole thing out the way kidney stones are blasted.

If it's out, it's out. Just put the approximate date. No one will check, no one will care beyond that. AME is correct, that is a non-issue after you've recovered from the immediate effects of the surgery.

Congrats on the weight loss, congrats on getting the 3rd class and setting this goal.

Go find a school and CFI that you like and go fly.

Thank you, dolls. :)

@Jess Oslick I actually remember the exact date. I never experienced an “oh god I want to literally die” moment before then. The pain was worse than three dry sockets after the anesthesia wore off halfway through my wisdom teeth removal.

@WWD and @NightSkyReader (as an astrology-lover and astrophotographer, I love your username), I already have. :D Went with my gut on which school, and am very, very happy with my choice. :) I’ve got a goal of flying solo to Sweetwater in October. So, we shall see. :D

I've been reporting allergies and non-sedating antihistimine use for 40 years. It has never been a problem.
My wife used to have debilitating gall bladder attacks that stopped when hers was removed. Not a problem for her.
Tonsils and cosmetic surgery are non-issues unless the latter was for gender dysphoric issues. The FAA has an irrational (and potentially illegal) bent against the transgendered (though I do know several pilots who ahve worked though that issue as well).

Remember that therapy is not reportable unless it relates to a psychological condition. That would include an anxiety disorder but not just being highstrung. I don't know what made me think of that just now.

Meant to follow up! This was me! On Thursday morning, it was still at imported. While out droning (‘cause yeah, I do that), I checked again, and it had gone to certified! I was so surprised it was that fast that I nearly cried. And then called my husband to tell him what I was already up to. :D I started flying last week. So I’m so, so happy!! Thank you for your words, all!

Now I’m trying to find an AME within 100 miles, or farther if need be, tbh, to establish a primary care relationship.

You mentioned you wanted to have an AME for your primary care doctor I have read here that's not a good idea maybe some others can reply to that.

You mentioned you wanted to have an AME for your primary care doctor I have read here that's not a good idea maybe some others can reply to that.

What I read is that it’s a conflict of interest to have the AME who does your exams be your primary care. The conflict of interest makes sense. I guess a better way to phrase it is that I’d like to find a PCP who is also an AME, but have actual cert exams by someone else.

What I read is that it’s a conflict of interest to have the AME who does your exams be your primary care.

True. The AME is representing the FAA’s interests. So you want to tell the AME what’s required and not more.

Basic Med is different - I believe there’s no conflict using your primary care physician to do the check-up for Basic Med, as the physician is not acting on behalf of the FAA. One of the many reasons that Basic Med is best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back