Airplane shot at on short final

Wild.

I think about getting shot every time I fly the Chicago skyline tour, which includes a transition under the bravo at 1600-1800 MSL following I-290 (the “Eisenhower transition”).

Wild.

I think about getting shot every time I fly the Chicago skyline tour, which includes a transition under the bravo at 1600-1800 MSL following I-290 (the “Eisenhower transition”).
Shot, but not shot at. A stray bullet. One of the many reasons I avoid the city

The other day, I saw, on a FB, a post about an airport managers plea to the pilot community to observe the local noise abatement procedures. Judging from the comments, I wonder how it is that more planes aren't shot at.

The other day, I saw, on a FB, a post about an airport managers plea to the pilot community to observe the local noise abatement procedures. Judging from the comments, I wonder how it is that more planes aren't shot at.

Probably because most of the wimps complaining about airplanes flying into airports are also the wimps who don't believe in regular citizens having guns... :D

Probably most of the wimps complaining about airplanes flying into airports are also the wimps who don't believe in regular citizens having guns... :D

What they really are? Wimps who buy a house close to an airport because the price is better than comparables away from the airport and then b*t*h about the noise.

Wild.

Ha try driving down the Eisenhower in Chicago, I would be better off up high in a plane

Our legal system is broken.
I thought so until I read some details. Seems the course was set up so that many were tempted to shoot directly over their property to make a hole. That's not cool.

But the hyperbolic "651 dimpled spheres", if you do the math over the 4 years is only 3 a week. Not really that bad. But I still agree the course should not have been designed so that the property was directly in play. They should have won.

This would be comparable to me landing and taking off in the guys driveway in the neighborhood next door. But only 3 times a week. ;)

Seems like the FBI and not the FAA should be investigating something that was obviously criminal. What's the FAA going to do, suspend the shooters pilot certificate?

I thought so until I read some details. Seems the course was set up so that many were tempted to shoot directly over their property to make a hole. That's not cool.

But the hyperbolic "651 dimpled spheres", if you do the math over the 4 years is only 3 a week. Not really that bad. But I still agree the course should not have been designed so that the property was directly in play. They should have won.

This would be comparable to me landing and taking off in the guys driveway in the neighborhood next door. But only 3 times a week. ;)

I don't know, call me crazy, but if you buy a house on a golf course, errant golf balls are going to be a fact of life. Deal, don't whine.

Seems like the FBI and not the FAA should be investigating something that was obviously criminal. What's the FAA going to do, suspend the shooters pilot certificate?
I suspect this perp will get caught, sounds like the plane was hit between base and final, it is over a sand pit, I don't know the pit, but I imagine people shoot there. Massachusetts has crazy azz DAs who hate guns in legal hands, I imagine they will throw the book at this guy if he is caught. From the tv reports and pics I've seen, about 10 inches more toward the fuselage and the pilot would have had a hole in him.

Not convinced noise abatement non-compliance is a good reason to get a bullet through an airplane.

In the last 10 years I have become a lot more careful about where I fly below 1000'. Any structures or human activity is a no-fly zone for me (down low that is). I get really creeped out about flying low along the southern border, Juarez comes to mind, I fly 1/2mi from that border regularly... I try to stay high.

I don't know, call me crazy, but if you buy a house on a golf course, errant golf balls are going to be a fact of life. Deal, don't whine.
True story.
A husband and wife, out enjoying a round of golf, were about to tee off on the third hole, which was lined with beautiful homes. The wife hit her shot and the ball began to slice – her shot was headed directly at a very large plate glass window. Much to her surprise, the ball smashed through the window and shattered it into a million pieces.
They felt compelled to see what damage was done and drove off to see what happened. When they peeked inside the house, they found no one there. The husband called out and no one answered. Upon further investigation, they saw a small gentleman sitting on the couch with a turban on his head.
The wife asked the man, “Do you live here?”
“No, someone just hit a ball through the window, knocked over the vase you see there, freeing me from that little bottle. I am so grateful!” he answered.
The husband asked, “Are you a genie?”
“Oh, why, yes I am. In fact, I am so grateful I will grant you two wishes, and the third I will keep for myself,” the man replied.
The husband and wife agreed on two wishes – one was for a scratch handicap for the husband, to which the wife readily agreed. The other was for an income of $1,000,000 per year forever.
The genie nodded his head and said, “Done!”
The genie now said, “For my wish, I would like to have my way with your wife. I have not been with a woman for many years, and after all, I made you a scratch golfer and a millionaire.”
The husband and wife agreed.
After the genie and wife were finished, the genie asked the wife, “How long have you been married?”
To which she responded, “Three years.”
The genie then asked, “How old is your husband?”
To which she replied, “31 years old.”
The genie then asked, “And how long has he believed in this genie crap?”

Disagree. I golf. If you don't golf, and don't understand what goes on at a golf course, then don't by adjacent to one. You look at the hole layout and see a dogleg, you don't buy there. Guys always cut the dogleg, always. Just like you don't buy property at the end of dogleg, or near a green, or any landing area, or, well, any hole that a driver may be used. And if you do, then you put up one of the driving range nets along your property line.
Per the lawyer "It was apparent to anyone that this house was going to be struck as repeatedly as this one was, they would have never bought this property."

Course was built. Then builders built the house and these people bought it. Their own lawyer basically called them idiots.

Hole 15.Not what I'd call a "severe" curve.
masterplanwithgolfandlots8x10.jpg

Last edited:
Golf courses are not all that bad to live near.

Now living near an Indian reservation can be a little hazardous....

pipe-plane.jpeg

Ok, not real. From what I understood this is, or was, an art project...:lol:

There was (probably still is) a skeet range under downwind at FDK. When my wife was flying a bit too low, the instructor says they're holding up signs saying, "Fly Lower".

What the hell. I fly in this area relatively often though it's been a while since I've landed at GDM... Need to upgrade the club cherokee to a stealth aircraft apparently. Lot of nutjobs out there.

pipe-plane.jpeg

Wow, some Native Americans were really offended by Piper’s naming conventions. :)

pipe-plane.jpeg

Looks like that airplane tried to bring jesus to a small island in the bay of bengal

Per the lawyer "It was apparent to anyone that this house was going to be struck as repeatedly as this one was, they would have never bought this property."

Course was built. Then builders built the house and these people bought it. Their own lawyer basically called them idiots.

Hole 15.Not what I'd call a "severe" curve.
View attachment 106403
I'm amused by this story (and a little envious, 'cause I could use $5 mill). We have a house by a golf course in Arizona, and regularly have golf balls in our back yard, pool, hot tub, etc. The worst damage so far (6 years) is dimples in the stucco walls. Our HOA covenants were up front about the realities of living by the course, and make it clear that you accept the risk, and cannot put up any special fencing to block errant balls. I collect them in two giant glass jugs by the back door, and have at least a couple hundred so far.

$5mill probably didn't cover the cost of the house.

In the article it says they hope the problem is solved as the teebox has been moved. Surprised it took 5 years and a lawsuit for that to happen.

pipe-plane.jpeg
If you fly a low wing, probably never know you were hit until landing. Hopefully the tires would be intact.

Back