Personal x-wind minimums, & how often do you divert?

Diverted twice, should of diverted twice(successful landing but that doesn’t mean it was wise), left a day earlier or later many, many times due to weather(wind, TS, icing). Most importantly, wife is still flying everywhere with me after 50yrs and most my decisions are based on her comfort level. PS she has never complained of turbulence, TS, AOG, bird strike, less than perfect landings. There is no reason to take any extra risk, general aviation flying is risky enough. PSS I wish she appreciated my driving as much.

I think it's important to seek out crosswinds when you're learning a new airplane and develop some comfort either by yourself or preferably with an instructor. In a training/practice situation it's easier to make the call to go around while you refine your technique. As a fairly low-time (60 hr) tailwheel pilot I did that in the citabria 7ECA a few days ago. Rwy heading was 038 degrees and METAR wind was 080@13G20 on a 3700 ft asphalt strip. Not too much wind, but a solid 13 knot crosswind component with the gust, 9 knots without. Out of 10 landings I went around twice, once when I floated a little bit too far and again when I caught a gust that weathervaned me to the point that I was rapidly heading to the upwind edge of the runway and I couldn't react with the downwind heel brake in time. Adding the power gave me enough rudder authority to straighten out before off-roading. That second go-around was probably as close as I've been to the edge of controllability in that airplane, and I kind of wanted to call it quits and head back to the home base (which had 5 knots straight down the pipe), but I kept going for 3 more, making sure I could react more quickly with brake if necessary by staying lighter on the heels. This airplane has a 17 knot max demonstrated crosswind too....so I was barely 75% of the way there.

In other words, keep practicing and build up your confidence and judgement so that if you are faced with a landing at max demonstrated, you can do it safely. Just keep in mind that there is no shame in a go around when you are dealing with that kind of wind. I can't recall ever having diverted due to crosswinds in my 11,000 hours, but at some point if you go around to the point that you've hit bingo fuel to the nearest suitable alternate and/or your nerves are too frayed to keep trying, definitely pull the plug and divert. 15 knots in a C172 should be no issue for someone proficient in that airplane.

I have not diverted due to cross winds, or weather, yet. But I flight plan pretty extensively when weather is not ideal and will cancel a flight, have done this many times. For wind, it's more about overall wind speed than crosswinds. Generally I take wind forecasts and observations with a grain of salt unless they are extreme. The absolute test for me is if I can maintain centerline in a slip. I like to kick into a slip about 50 feet over the runway, if I don't run out of rudder while maintaining centerline I'm good. I have no issues going around down to the runway.

I haven't needed to divert for a crosswind. That's not a macho or great pilot thing. I'm neither and I may have some kind of record for cross country diversions, but those have been for enroute weather. At least part if it is having been based at an airport where crosswinds were common. You get used to them.

I haven't thought in terms of a specific personal minimum number. At or exceeding the published demonstrated crosswind component makes me pay attention, especially with significant gusts. But beyond that, this one has too many variables for easy quantification. By me anyway. Recent experience, which airplane, and other factors all come into play. It's more of a try and go-around decision for me (and I have gone around plenty of times) than an advance diversion.

So, I'm sitting about 120 hours right now (in 172's only), just waiting for my Instrument checkride.. But I dont feel that my personal x-wind minimums are high enough? Anything around 8-10 kts x-wind, makes me extremely nervous, so my personal mins are 8 kts max x-wind..

Even if the wind is almost directly down the runway, I wont fly if its 15 kts, because even a 20 degree change in wind direction during my flight puts me out of my comfort zone..

And even when I do get a landing in close to my max minimums, its only 1 or 2, so I dont feel the skills/comfort progressing much.. Needless to say, this impacts the number of days I get to fly, especially in spring.. Am I just being a wuss?

Also, how often have you had to divert (in a light ASEL) because of winds?
My experience has been that people who shy away from crosswinds do so because of the sense of lack of controllability on the ground. One thing I've noticed as both a once low-time pilot and now flight instructor is that people flub crosswind landings by neutralizing aileron once both mains settle on the runway. Once you neutralize the ailerons, the crosswind will try to blow you off centerline, and the rudder input that was necessary to maintain runway alignment will steer you off of the runway. The key to good crosswind landings is INCREASING aileron deflection once you touchdown and easing up on rudder before the nose gear settles down to provide directional control. Ideally you should transition to full deflection on rollout, just like you were taught when taxiing in the wind.

My caution zone is when the gust factor is 10-15 knots or higher

Crosswind by itself, let's call it 30

I prefer slipping, but understand crabbing is convention

Twins seem far more tolerant of winds, limited weathervaning, etc

You won’t really know your limit until you meet it. Do not let other pilots influence your personal limits. I can tell you, after 1800 hrs, that my limits vary based on terrain. I fly to central IL frequently, and I am entirely comfortable with crosswinds twice what I would consider at home. Why? There are no terrain features in central IL Wind is what it is. At home, thanks to the foothills of the Appalachians, winds get much more swirly. A piece of cake 25g35 crosswind at CMI (yes there is a crosswind runway but the wind seems to know that and adjusts accordingly) can be an adventure (not a fun one) at LOM.

My caution zone is when the gust factor is 10-15 knots or higher

Crosswind by itself, let's call it 30

I prefer slipping, but understand crabbing is convention

My tolerance is different depending on many factors of which terrain is one as flyersfan31 referenced. But it's also different between something like a nose wheel 172 Cessna and my light sport compliant experimental tail wheel airplane. I've never had to divert and I've had some interesting landing (haven't had to buy any parts ... yet) but I play on the conservative side.

Seems lately if you want some crosswind landing practice, Carolina is the place to be.

They are, and the bigger you get, the easier it gets. My first landing in a King Air was gusting 25 directly across the runway at Destin. I was nervous, but it was a non event.

Ownership is best.

My previous Tiger I had landed a 32G35 direct crosswind. My maxium was 55 knots directly down the runway. There was basically zero wind at altitude heaving to Carlsbad NM but winds were 50 knots on the ground, steady and actually fun landing (felt like walking and roll out was basically nothing).

The RV I fly now has the same tail as the Tiger, but am guessing because of weight it seems I have no rudder authority at 23-25 knots direct.

Deviated to Las Cruces NM once for unforecast winds that hit 35 knots direct, but had HUGE windshear. All of my windy landings are "just an approach to go around" ... If I can stay aligned with the runway and gusts aren't threatening damage, then I'll pull power and let it land ... I always have a "Plan B" field and spent the night in Las Cruces on that one evening ...

Back