What should I buy? (Car edition)

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
The time has come to find a new owner for my Volkswagen GTI. Although it’s a lot of fun to drive, the German engineering has been less than impressive. Everything has been mostly positive up until the clock hit about 75,000 miles. I noticed an oil leak that progressively got worse, to the point of leaking 2-3inch in diameter puddles on the ground every time I parked. Put it on a lift and my dad and I couldn’t find the source of the leak. We initially thought it was coming from the drain plug or the bottom of the oil pan, but there wasn’t any signs of leaks. A week or so later I dropped it at the shop and they found a bad seal around the oil cooler. That got replaced and then shortly after, oil consumption went through the roof. It’s using about a quart every week and a half :eek:, not to mention the tranny will sporadically act up, so it’s to my best guess that it’s only a matter of time before the DSG needs big maintenance.

This leads me to being on the search for a new ride.

What I’m looking for:

Something economical. I don’t want frequent stops to the refueling station. One thing I really like about the GTI is the fuel economy, 30+ mpg is awesome!

I’d also like something with decent ‘get up and go’. I’ve been eyeing the Subaru Impreza and Crosstrek and while I like the appearance a lot, I’m not sure the performance will be as good as I’d like, but I still need to test drive them. I’m not sure they make either with a turbo-4cyl so my guess is that they’re under powered. While having something that’s fun-to-drive would be nice, I really don’t care, I just need wheels and also something that looks half-way presentable when I roll up to take the ladies on a date ;).

What cars are the best bang for the buck that I should look at?

Honda Civic 1.5T, not as fast as the GTI, but not a dog either. Mileage will be upper 30's to lower 40's. Honda build and reliability.

a lot of the gas-electric hybrids have good low-end acceleration.

and then there are always the "classics"

car to purchase.jpg gremlin.jpg pacer.jpg

a lot of the gas-electric hybrids have good low-end acceleration.
I was looking at a Prius, but decided against it after I found out it only has a measly 25mi range on battery.

I was going to say, if you're coming from a VW my vote would be the Focus ST, it's a decent and under appreciated "hot hatch". What about Kia Stinger? A buddy has one, it's a pretty nice, zippy little fast car. Or if you really want a true clutched manual then I think you're looking at a Civic Type R.. although I've never been a fan of the Civic look

PS - I love VW but after having owned a VW and BMW, and friends with Audis, it seems the German engineering pretty much gives up after 50K to 75K. No experience with Merc, never liked their look either. In (sort of, but not really) comparison, my somewhat abused (although occasionally detailed, 2X-3X per year) Toyota FJ has had no issues since I bought it new 2011. New alternator was the only "major" event. All else has been tires / brakes / oil. Typical wear/tear items. Plenty of sandy desert driving, trails, and the occasional Pismo dune driving (although I think that is a thing of the past now)

I rented an Altima the other week and I was really pleasantly surprised with it. With a full tank it had something like 550 miles to empty, I drove from Madison to Detroit on half a tank of gas. It had enough of get-up-and go that I didn't have to thrash the thing and it was pretty comfortable.

Might fit the bill of what you're looking for.

“New” used ride or “New” new ride? Personally, with the price of used cars I’d just go new myself.

Never heard any real positive stories about that German engineering. My A4 trans went bad at around 75K as well. Friend at work had a Jetta and it’s trans failed early. Parts are super expensive also. I’ll never get German again.

I think the BRZ is a good little sports car. New or used.

https://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/brz

I was going to recommend the new Mazda 3. Other lessor known fun cars are the Hyundai Kona N or the Turbo Kia Soul.

I have two Mazda3's. One's a 2015 and the other a 2018. The 2019 was the last generation change. Both of mine are the top GT trim level. I've been really impressed with both of them. Efficient, fun to drive, good tech, and both were a good value.

Of course, I don't drive either of them anymore. I drive my Model 3 LR. The M3 RWD is right at the average new car price at $46.990. Very nice car, even more fun, not nearly the value of the Mazda3, though. You plug it in every night at home and leave in the morning all "gassed up". No more stopping at gas stations for your daily driving.

I'd recommend either route, depending on what you want.

Mazda 3 or 6 are nice ones.
Toyota Supra is looking good.
BRZ and it’s clone are good choices.
Honda Civic SI has some get up and go.
Nissan lost its way with the Ghosn distraction but maybe they are back with the new Z.
Miata doesn’t fit tall people.

If you're trying to impress ladies and have a fun, economical driver, I'd suggest a gently used Miata. It worked for my husband. :D

Seems like a lot of trouble for you to get a decent car, but considering what you used to drive I guess you were pretty desperate....

:D

Reactions: Ted
Seems like a lot of trouble for you to get a decent car, but considering what you used to drive I guess you were pretty desperate....

:D

:rofl: :rofl: That is an awful way to read that. Quite frankly, the decent cars are a very minor plus when compared to all the other awesomeness!! :D

My last vehicle was a 2014 honda accord (first year of that body style). In warm wx, 38mpg on the highway was pretty regular and some trips was hitting 40mpg. That was for the Sport version (4cyl and one up from base model). The paddle shifters were cool but not much power behind it. However, that CVT transmission was smooth :) 155K miles in just under 7 years. Replaced tires once. Lots of miles were highway so never even did the brakes. Oil changes twice a year. No repairs or problems for total time of ownership. They look decent, not very exciting though. The heater was way to slow to warm up when its -25F. I'd buy another one if need of another sedan.

this is a good one
https://live.staticflickr.com/5509/12390022653_d29eb0d8ef_4k.jpg
...oh wait...you said economical, not easy to refuel...never mind.....

I hear you about the german engineering...but even with some challenges, I have been enjoying my Audi E-Tron. Fast, smooth as butter, I refuel at home in short time, Extremely economical, quiet, fun to drive,...and did I say fast?

You need a DeLorean. I think they're even producing "new" ones now.

Or have you not seen that movie either?

Back