Tesla Autopilot vs. Cirrus Jet

Apparently the back end of an SF50 is too high to be considered an obstacle, until it is.

When Tesla used Lidar, did it recognize an obstacle, even if it was something uncommon?

I’m sure the Tesla lawyers would be able to win without irrefutable proof that you stopped summoning and the car ran amok on its own, even if that actually happened, how would you prove it?

DQYZizUVAAEH74k

I’m sure the Tesla lawyers would be able to win without irrefutable proof that you stopped summoning and the car ran amok on its own, even if that actually happened, how would you prove it?
Tesla’s lawyers probably already convinced the engineers to keep detailed logs of user input for precisely this reason.

Tesla’s lawyers probably already convinced the engineers to keep detailed logs of user input for precisely this reason.
You're saying the opposite I am. If I am the user and use summon and let go of the button, but the car keeps going, there's virtually no way I could prove that I let go of the button. Logs could only work against Tesla. And there aren't going to be logs that prove the phone didn't glitch and give the app bad data.

Frankly, the technology isn't there yet. There's a reason why most of this type of thing is done with locked down devices not iOS apps.

As a user, you really are taking a lot of risk using summon. Tesla has very little liability, whether or not it was their fault. The user agreements make that pretty clear. Unless there's a huge rash of Tesla's crashing into stuff on summon, they ain't gonna be paying.

Felts Field, Spokane.

"Self crashing vehicle" lol

The time data that records when and for how long the summons was active, overlaid on the GPS and accelerometer indications of when the impact occurred. Tesla knew that info not long after the robot car assault happened.

The time data that records when and for how long the summons was active, overlaid on the GPS and accelerometer indications of when the impact occurred. Tesla knew that info not long after the robot car assault happened.
That does not prove when you lifted your finger off your phone.

That does not prove when you lifted your finger off your phone.

Perhaps you didn't read my response correctly. The vehicle's data log records when and for long the summons was active. That information is available to Tesla via data link to their cars. The impact was similarly recorded. A time log makes coincidence of the summons and impact quite simple to interpret.

I took the liberty of doing an edit on one in particular:

Warning
Smart Summon may not stop for all objects (especially very low objects such as some curbs, or very high dollar objects such as a multi-million dollar private jet) and may not react to all traffic. Smart Summon does not recognize the direction of traffic, does not navigate around empty parking spaces, and may not anticipate crossing traffic.

Perhaps you didn't read my response correctly. The vehicle's data log records when and for long the summons was active. That information is available to Tesla via data link to their cars. The impact was similarly recorded. A time log makes coincidence of the summons and impact quite simple to interpret.
You’re missing something. It’s the users fault if he’s still holding the summon button. It’s teslas fault if the user is not holding the button. In either case the summon would be active from the cars logs. Tesla never claims to assure avoiding striking an obstruction. Quite the contrary. They make it clear the cameras can’t see everything and that you are responsible and must be in line of sight.

You're assuming that the logs are telling the truth, which may or may not be the case.

Was the Tesla owner and vision jet owner one in the same??

I'm thinking it's Tesla's fault, unless proven otherwise. To mis-quote Cartman, if it's so d**n safe, why does it keep getting caught in fishing nets all the time?

You’re missing something. It’s the users fault if he’s still holding the summon button. It’s teslas fault if the user is not holding the button. In either case the summon would be active from the cars logs. Tesla never claims to assure avoiding striking an obstruction. Quite the contrary. They make it clear the cameras can’t see everything and that you are responsible and must be in line of sight.

It is interesting that the aircraft fuselage is mostly white, just like the multiple eighteen wheeler trailers that Teslas have struck while on autopilot.

Last edited:
You're assuming that the logs are telling the truth, which may or may not be the case.

:D

I didn't know AI has progressed to the point where computers can decide to tell lies. That Elon guy is almost like Jesus.

just like the multiple eighteen wheeler trailers that Teslas have struck while on autopilot.
Multiple? I only know of one which involved an older Model S. That bug was fixed many years ago. What were the others?

In my view, the fault lies with the details of the incident. If the Summon feature was working as designed then it was the operator, who was holding the summon button on the app, who is at fault. If the operator released the summon button, but the car continued to move into the airplane, then it's Tesla's fault.

Multiple? I only know of one which involved an older Model S. That bug was fixed many years ago. What were the others?

In my view, the fault lies with the details of the incident. If the Summon feature was working as designed then it was the operator, who was holding the summon button on the app, who is at fault. If the operator released the summon button, but the car continued to move into the airplane, then it's Tesla's fault.
Except that there is no way for a user to prove when they released the button, so no way to prove its Teslas fault. This is what I’ve been trying to say.

...It’s the users fault if he’s still holding the summon button. It’s teslas fault if the user is not holding the button. In either case the summon would be active from the cars logs...

Except that there is no way for a user to prove when they released the button, so no way to prove its Teslas fault.
Is the summon button state recorded in the logs or is it not?

Nauga,
and a little onboard data

You're saying the opposite I am. If I am the user and use summon and let go of the button, but the car keeps going, there's virtually no way I could prove that I let go of the button. Logs could only work against Tesla. And there aren't going to be logs that prove the phone didn't glitch and give the app bad data.

Frankly, the technology isn't there yet. There's a reason why most of this type of thing is done with locked down devices not iOS apps.

As a user, you really are taking a lot of risk using summon. Tesla has very little liability, whether or not it was their fault. The user agreements make that pretty clear. Unless there's a huge rash of Tesla's crashing into stuff on summon, they ain't gonna be paying.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the highlighted comment in light of how Smart Summon purportedly works.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/is_is/GUID-6B9A1AEA-579C-400E-A7A6-E4916BCD5DED.html
Smart Summon works with the Tesla mobile app when your phone is located within approximately 6 meters of Model Y.
This seems to imply that a phone app is actually used (iOS or Android not specified).

Except that there is no way for a user to prove when they released the button, so no way to prove its Teslas fault. This is what I’ve been trying to say.
Reading through your posts, I think I understand what you are trying to say- that the car logs can only record when it receives the "push" or "release", not whether the phone actually sent the commands in a timely fashion.

You are making assumptions in what is or isn't logged. For example, there's no reason that the button press and release commands can't also include a time stamp that can be logged with the time the car actually received and acted on the commands. There's no reason the app itself doesn't have a log file. As the citation above indicates the feature is still in beta testing, it wouldn't surprise me the app keeps a log as well, which is compared to the car's log.

Quoted for the citation above, this may well be what happened:
Always anticipate when you need to stop Model Y. Depending on the quality of the connectivity between the phone and Model Y, there may be a slight delay between when you release the button and when the car stops.

Is the summon button state recorded in the logs or is it not?

Nauga,
and a little onboard data
Probably, but if the app locked up or ios sent bad data to it they would be “lying”

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the highlighted comment in light of how Smart Summon purportedly works.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/is_is/GUID-6B9A1AEA-579C-400E-A7A6-E4916BCD5DED.html

This seems to imply that a phone app is actually used (iOS or Android not specified).

Reading through your posts, I think I understand what you are trying to say- that the car logs can only record when it receives the "push" or "release", not whether the phone actually sent the commands in a timely fashion.

You are making assumptions in what is or isn't logged. For example, there's no reason that the button press and release commands can't also include a time stamp that can be logged with the time the car actually received and acted on the commands. There's no reason the app itself doesn't have a log file. As the citation above indicates the feature is still in beta testing, it wouldn't surprise me the app keeps a log as well, which is compared to the car's log.

Quoted for the citation above, this may well be what happened:
See my last post.

the “lag” is because of latency in wireless transmission as well as computation limitations.

Probably, but if the app locked up or ios sent bad data to it they would be “lying”
Does every potential failure mode where the car continues to move include the app locking or ios sending bad data? While I agree it's *possible* that the logs would be in error, I do not agree that it's a certainty.

Nauga,
planting a fault tree

If there's a bug which allows the car to continue moving without receiving a constant signal from the app, that can be determined and fixed. The logs (presumably) kept by the car will show if it was receiving a "go" signal. If it stopped receiving that signal, but continued moving, that's a software bug (design or implementation) and would be the cause.

I would think that the most likely explanation is that the operator wasn't paying enough attention but a software issue is also possible.

I didn't know AI has progressed to the point where computers can decide to tell lies. That Elon guy is almost like Jesus.
Incorrect data recorded in log files has long preceded the invention of AI.

If there's a bug which allows the car to continue moving without receiving a constant signal from the app, that can be determined and fixed. The logs (presumably) kept by the car will show if it was receiving a "go" signal. If it stopped receiving that signal, but continued moving, that's a software bug (design or implementation) and would be the cause.

I would think that the most likely explanation is that the operator wasn't paying enough attention but a software issue is also possible.
I think so too. All I’m trying to say is that as a user, I can’t prove I let go of the button at x point of time. The touch screen can fail, the os can fail, without Tesla being at fault. Unless you try to claim the system is inherently unsafe because they are using commodity hardware and os, which have the described issues. But that argument wouldn’t go far unless there is a rash of incidents.

See my last post.

the “lag” is because of latency in wireless transmission as well as computation limitations.
I'm sorry, but you still aren't making yourself clear. I've written simple phone apps, as well as much more complicated programs on computers, so I don't see the "computation limitations" related to whether a control is pressed or not.

As for "latency in wireless transmission"- I assume this mean the latency of the network that gets the data from the phone to the car. I can see that happening.

This really sums up things well, assuming they aren't logging their app.
I think so too. All I’m trying to say is that as a user, I can’t prove I let go of the button at x point of time. The touch screen can fail, the os can fail, without Tesla being at fault. Unless you try to claim the system is inherently unsafe because they are using commodity hardware and os, which have the described issues. But that argument wouldn’t go far unless there is a rash of incidents.

I'm sorry, but you still aren't making yourself clear. I've written simple phone apps, as well as much more complicated programs on computers, so I don't see the "computation limitations" related to whether a control is pressed or not.
Computers always have limitations. They don’t scale infinitely. I only added that to cover other possibilities. The physical OSI layer is certainly the most likely place to introduce latency, but the other layers that run on the phone and the car can also run out of memory and cpu resulting in latency.

As for "latency in wireless transmission"- I assume this mean the latency of the network that gets the data from the phone to the car. I can see that happening.
I can't remember if summon works through the phone and car's cellular data connection or if it's through Bluetooth. I know that one of the complaints about the feature is that you have to be relatively close to the car but that still seems like it might be out of Bluetooth range.

I can't remember if summon works through the phone and car's cellular data connection or if it's through Bluetooth. I know that one of the complaints about the feature is that you have to be relatively close to the car but that still seems like it might be out of Bluetooth range.
Yeah. BT spec is minimum ten meters, though I've experienced situations where it was effectively more or effectively less. So some other wireless tech. Hey, there's latency in controlling my home's thermostats.

Computers always have limitations. They don’t scale infinitely. I only added that to cover other possibilities. The physical OSI layer is certainly the most likely place to introduce latency, but the other layers that run on the phone and the car can also run out of memory and cpu resulting in latency.
Very simply, too many apps running or too much data stored. More likely the phone than the car, unless there's a "memory leak" on one of the car's programs.

Back