3rd Class Med for Student Pilot with Sleep Apnea

NY-FLYER

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NY-FLYER
Hi guy's and girl's I know this has been covered before at least the process of obtaining a special issuance. I really just want to make sure I have everything ready for my medical exam before setting it up. So a little background first I am a 43 yr old student pilot overweight, 5' 7", 270# was diagnosed with OSA 4 years ago and I'm working towards my private pilots license. I've lost 50 pounds so far in the last year just by monitoring my caloric intake as I'm a pretty active person. I've been using CPAP since my diagnosis which works very well for me. I am at 87% usage not because of days but more because some nights you just don't get the required 6 hours and my AHI averages 2.25 and I have no daytime sleepyness. My most recent sleep study showed severe OSA at an AHI of 63 but I will say I'm not sure how they got any usable data as it was really the first time I've slept without my CPAP in years and I barely slept. It actually took 2 nights to get a full 6 hours of data so I feel it makes my OSA look much worse than it is.

After losing my father suddenly and seeing my younger brother go on to become a commercial helicopter pilot and CFI I was motivated to try to make a life long dream of becoming a pilot a reality. I know because of my age becoming a pilot as a career is not practical but just getting into GA and flying is a blast and what I wanna do.

I went ahead and didn't get my medical as I should have before getting deep into my training. I did my intro flight and I loved it so much I wanted more lol. I had a lot of free time at that time and a few months later I'm now at 37 hours and not having my medical is holding me up at this point for my solo flight training obviously. A couple weeks after starting my flight training I spoke to my local AME about my OSA and possible hold ups and he told me to get another recent sleep study and get the sleep study report, the OSA status report filled out by my primary care physician and fill out the Airman compliance with treatment OSA form to bring with me to my exam. Of course Covid slowed things down as it took a month to receive my type 2 home sleep study from singular sleep then another couple weeks to get in with my primary to fill out the compliance form which we ended up messing up by writing some data in the wrong area as she has never filled one out before so I have to go back to fix it and she was on vacation for the last couple weeks.

I'm really just trying to figure out what other new pilots who are for the first time getting their 3rd class medical with OSA have experienced while going through the process and if anyone has any advice on what I should do to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

I will say I'm now very nervous that it will go bad for some reason and I'll be forced to stop though I guess I always knew it was a possibility. Sorry for the long post I'm just looking to get whatever helpful info I can. Thanks

Hi guy's and girl's I know this has been covered before at least the process of obtaining a special issuance. I really just want to make sure I have everything ready for my medical exam before setting it up. So a little background first I am a 43 yr old student pilot overweight, 5' 7", 270# was diagnosed with OSA 4 years ago and I'm working towards my private pilots license. I've lost 50 pounds so far in the last year just by monitoring my caloric intake as I'm a pretty active person. I've been using CPAP since my diagnosis which works very well for me. I am at 87% usage not because of days but more because some nights you just don't get the required 6 hours and my AHI averages 2.25 and I have no daytime sleepyness. My most recent sleep study showed severe OSA at an AHI of 63 but I will say I'm not sure how they got any usable data as it was really the first time I've slept without my CPAP in years and I barely slept. It actually took 2 nights to get a full 6 hours of data so I feel it makes my OSA look much worse than it is.

After losing my father suddenly and seeing my younger brother go on to become a commercial helicopter pilot and CFI I was motivated to try to make a life long dream of becoming a pilot a reality. I know because of my age becoming a pilot as a career is not practical but just getting into GA and flying is a blast and what I wanna do.

I went ahead and didn't get my medical as I should have before getting deep into my training. I did my intro flight and I loved it so much I wanted more lol. I had a lot of free time at that time and a few months later I'm now at 37 hours and not having my medical is holding me up at this point for my solo flight training obviously. A couple weeks after starting my flight training I spoke to my local AME about my OSA and possible hold ups and he told me to get another recent sleep study and get the sleep study report, the OSA status report filled out by my primary care physician and fill out the Airman compliance with treatment OSA form to bring with me to my exam. Of course Covid slowed things down as it took a month to receive my type 2 home sleep study from singular sleep then another couple weeks to get in with my primary to fill out the compliance form which we ended up messing up by writing some data in the wrong area as she has never filled one out before so I have to go back to fix it and she was on vacation for the last couple weeks.

I'm really just trying to figure out what other new pilots who are for the first time getting their 3rd class medical with OSA have experienced while going through the process and if anyone has any advice on what I should do to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

I will say I'm now very nervous that it will go bad for some reason and I'll be forced to stop though I guess I always knew it was a possibility. Sorry for the long post I'm just looking to get whatever helpful info I can. Thanks
If you haven't already done so, review the FAA guidance to AMEs about sleep apnea here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...uide/dec_cons/disease_prot/osa/ref_materials/

Thanks I have read through that several times I guess I’m looking for experiences of others who have gone through the process as students. I appreciate all info and I’m sure I’ll read through all that again lol.

Last edited:
Thanks I have read through that several times I guess I’m looking for experiences of others who have gone through the process as students. I appreciate all info and I’m sure I’ll read through all that again lol.
It's a pretty straight forward SI. Send them what they ask for. FWIW, whether you're a student or a veteran airline pilot, the first-time SI process is the same. The big things they're looking for are diagnosis and evidence of compliance with treatment.

The AMe can issue you the first time Cert, IN THE OFFICE provided you have what is necessary:

An at least 30 day use report that shows >75% of nights with >6 hours use (>= means GREATER than). See attachment.

They want a copy of the origin sleep study.

FAA wants the graphic printout which looks like the attached (redacted by myself).
It wants a letter froom the treating MD whcih has 4 components:
That you use CPAP nightly
That you have no complaint of daytime sleepiness
That you appear well rested
That on Exam there are no stigmata of right heart failure.
And then there is an affadavit that you have to sign.

If you have all that you walk out with a valid certificate which is converted by the agency into a 1-year and you get an "authorization letter" that allows the AME yearly to renew your medical contingent on receipt of the above @ each successive year.

Or you can have your PCP fill out the attached "status report" whcih the offices regard as a PITA.

Bruce

Attachments

• SAE(redacted)01.27.18.pdf
    141.1 KB · Views: 112
  • OSAInitialStatusSummary09.29.21.pdf
    150.5 KB · Views: 106
Thanks bbchien sounds pretty straight forward and I have everything together just gotta schedule my exam with ame apparently

Doc Bruce- can you explain the significance of the alcohol substance abuse statement linked? I feel like I missed it.

I noticed that as well and I assumed he attached the wrong file.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back