Blocked My N-Number on ADSB

Yes, and you can look it up in FAA database, I think that’s how adsb exchange works, it doesn’t use FAA DB.

The Mode-S code is based on an algorithm so you can easily compute an N number from any Mode-S without a database. You'll obviously need the database to know the owner, etc.

You’ll never be able to fully block. Websites like adsbexchange.com have their own receivers from the public and they refuse to block.

Someone may have already said this but could you add a power switch to the transponder and turn it off if flying out side of D,C, B airspace?

Insanely horrible idea. It’s one of the items that’s a single act warranting revocation if the FAA caught you intentionally disabling ADSB to deceive. It would also likely get slapped with an Emergency clause to immediately revoke without appeal prior.

You’ll never be able to fully block. Websites like adsbexchange.com have their own receivers from the public and they refuse to block.

What about registration in a foreign country that doesn’t publish aircraft data?

Insanely horrible idea. It’s one of the items that’s a single act warranting revocation if the FAA caught you intentionally disabling ADSB to deceive. It would also likely get slapped with an Emergency clause to immediately revoke without appeal prior.
My transponder/ADS-B (Stratus) has a standby mode and a ground mode...probably one flight out of ten, it somehow puts itself in standby mode or stays in ground mode (or maybe I'm doing it by accident, idk), and the tower tells me I have no transponder working. It would be an "easy accident" to have it be in standby mode...just saying.

My transponder/ADS-B (Stratus) has a standby mode and a ground mode...probably one flight out of ten, it somehow puts itself in standby mode or stays in ground mode (or maybe I'm doing it by accident, idk), and the tower tells me I have no transponder working. It would be an "easy accident" to have it be in standby mode...just saying.

Ask Martha how well that worked out for her.

Ask Martha how well that worked out for her.
I'm not planning on flying under bridges, but if they want to come after me because my transponder failed when I didn't violate anything else, then we are all in trouble.

I'm not planning on flying under bridges, but if they want to come after me because my transponder failed when I didn't violate anything else, then we are all in trouble.

I may have misinterpreted your intent behind an "easy accident"... just saying.

I only sent the email yesterday. Apparently it takes affect on the 15th of each month, so I'll have to wait awhile to see if it works!

It won't block portable receivers that are used to feed flight tracking companies. Your N number is easily determined from what your ADS_B transponder broadcasts, so even when you don't file a flight plan, you can be tracked and your N number is available. The FAA has a program called Privacy ICAO Address(PIA) program. What they do is provide you with an ICAO address that does not relate to your real N number and on the FAA registry don't include any personal information for that record. You need to obtain a third party call sign, for example FFL from ForeFlight and you file with the PIA ICAO address in the transponder (a maintenance configuration setting) and set the call sign into the aircraft ID before each flight in your transponder. That way if someone hears you on the radio with ATC, you are not using your real N number, but rather the third party call sign and your transponder ADS-B Out is broadcasting the ICAO address associated with an unassigned N number in the FAA registry. Your transponder also broadcasts the call sign. The FAA can figure out who you are, but not the tracking companies. If someone is recording ADS-B data near an airport and video tapes the aircraft that are broadcasting the PIA, they could figure out the association with your N number. You can periodically request a new PIA and third party call sign if you or someone compromises your aircraft identity.

I don't mind close friends or family knowing where I'm at via adsb. I think of it as reducing the time someone will take to find me if I put it down in a field somewhere. However, I make a concerted effort to make sure no one at work knows my N number.

It won't block portable receivers that are used to feed flight tracking companies. Your N number is easily determined from what your ADS_B transponder broadcasts, so even when you don't file a flight plan, you can be tracked and your N number is available. The FAA has a program called Privacy ICAO Address(PIA) program. What they do is provide you with an ICAO address that does not relate to your real N number and on the FAA registry don't include any personal information for that record. You need to obtain a third party call sign, for example FFL from ForeFlight and you file with the PIA ICAO address in the transponder (a maintenance configuration setting) and set the call sign into the aircraft ID before each flight in your transponder. That way if someone hears you on the radio with ATC, you are not using your real N number, but rather the third party call sign and your transponder ADS-B Out is broadcasting the ICAO address associated with an unassigned N number in the FAA registry. Your transponder also broadcasts the call sign. The FAA can figure out who you are, but not the tracking companies. If someone is recording ADS-B data near an airport and video tapes the aircraft that are broadcasting the PIA, they could figure out the association with your N number. You can periodically request a new PIA and third party call sign if you or someone compromises your aircraft identity.

Can people you share your FFL callsign with readily track your flights? As discussed in my last post.

It won't block portable receivers that are used to feed flight tracking companies.

John, I'm confused. If you get a third-party call sign, does the transponder nevertheless transmit the N-number always?

If so, is it a wasted effort to sign up for the FAA's PIA program, for the purpose of keeping your N-number from being received on the ground and then showing up on their tracking sites?

John, I'm confused. If you get a third-party call sign, does the transponder still transmit the N-number always?

If so, is it a wasted effort to sign up for the FAA's PIA program, for the purpose of keeping your N-number from being received on the ground and then showing up on their tracking sites?

When you use a third party call sign, the ICAO address that is assigned to you from the FAA via the PIA program gets transmitted along with your FFL call sign. The PIA address will be decoded to an N number, but not your N number. If you keep the FFL call sign and the PIA address a personal secret, only you and the FAA know the true identity of the aircraft. So say your N number is N12345, your transponder has the ICAO ID set to A061D9 and N12345 set into the call sign. You use N12345 in flight plans and in telephony. You ask for a PIA and get ForeFlight to assign you a FFL call sign. The FAA assigns you the PIA A8FD1C. ForeFlight assigns you the call sign FFL666 when you purchase a performance subscription. A8FD1C gets loaded into your transponder by the avionics shop. You use FFL666 in flight plans and in telephony and before flight, you make sure that instead of N12345 being set as the aircraft ID, it is set to FFL666. Now your ADS-B Out transponder will broadcast FFL666 and A8FD1C. If someone determines the N number associated with the PIA value of A8FD1C, they will find it is associated with N67890 and if they look it up in the FAA registry, they will not find any identifying data, just that it has been assigned by the FAA for its own use.

LOL, this was our household conversation the other day:
Son: Where'd you go today?
Me: Go? What do you mean?
Son: I was notified on flightaware you went somewhere.
Me: Then I guess you know where I went.
Wife: Yeah, I was notified too. What's in Shelby Michigan?
Later, my friend called: What's in Shelby Michigan?

I may have to do this as well. And to those that are curious...nothing is in Shelby Michigan, its just an airport I'd never been to before.

I agree, there isn't much in Shelby, MI. We were there a couple times in the mid-1960s. I doubt much has changed in the intervening decades.

the problem with using anonymous mode, is that I can no longer look at the screen and tell that N12345 calling 5 miles out is the aircraft I am looking at on the screen. just like the guy calling blue and white cessna on the radio tells me nothing of which aircraft he is on the screen.

Back