Unusual Attitude in IMC during IFR Checkride?

@PaulS how do you request delay vectors? What terminology?

Purpose being to allow you to load the approach and get vectored back to a segment of the approach?

I have zero interest in conducting an instrument checkride in IMC.

IF I were to do it though...Unusual Attitude recoveries are a required task so there is no way to avoid doing them. Another reason I'm not interested in doing an instrument checkride in IMC.

I Have done a couple of Commercial Multi rides where we filed and got through a layer to get the ride done. One Commercial Single where we did the same thing. Those pilots were instrument rated and current.

@PaulS how do you request delay vectors? What terminology?

Purpose being to allow you to load the approach and get vectored back to a segment of the approach?
Hi Terry, I use them when I'm doing multiple practice approaches to get time to load a new one and brief. It's easy and the controllers don't care. I just tell them what I need. Anytime you need more time, ask for them.

Depends on the situation, but generally I'll key up and say, "Cirrus. Xxxx I need some delay vectors to get this approach loaded. They'll give me a vector. Sometimes they will ask how long I need. Usually it's just a few minutes, but never rush. They don't care and will vector you around for an hour if you need. I do it any time I need to. When you are ready to go, just tell them so.

I was trained to never let yourself be rushed when flying ifr. Sometimes a controller will sound aggravated about something, that's not my problem, don't let it affect you. I listen to opposing bases podcast, those guys said don't worry if a controller sounds mad, they are talking to a lot of people behind the scenes and it's probably not you. Even if it is you, so what, get what you need and move on.

Never rush, and never hesitate to ask for delay vectors.

I actually did this twice on my check ride. We did 3 approaches at the same airport, I was in a 20 which is a relatively fast airplane. The dpe didn't say a word. I told him I'm a slow poke some times with the briefing, he said take all the time you need and I did.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in conducting an instrument checkride in IMC.

IF I were to do it though...Unusual Attitude recoveries are a required task so there is no way to avoid doing them. Another reason I'm not interested in doing an instrument checkride in IMC.

I Have done a couple of Commercial Multi rides where we filed and got through a layer to get the ride done. One Commercial Single where we did the same thing. Those pilots were instrument rated and current.

Would you do an instrument check ride where there was a stratus layer from say 800 to 1800, and you could do unusual attitude stuff on top and only the approaches are in IMC with plenty of room underneath? (I guess I consider 800' plenty of room underneath)

Not personally. I see no reason to take PIC responsibility on the flight especially when the FAA has strongly encouraged me not to.

Those sort of conditions are about what I did the commercial multi with. Single had higher ceilings so we could do the 8s on Pylons and stuff down low but needed on top for accelerated stalls.

I was talking with a friend who told me that his examiner put the plane in an unusual attitude in solid IMC conditions during the instrument check ride. 1000 ft overcast and at one point the pitot iced over. Has anyone ever heard of or had an examiner do that?

I think you friend left out the part of severe turbulence, thunderstorms, and microbursts.

Back