Pregame demonstration involving parachuters at Nationals Park causes brief evacuation of U.S. Capito

I thought you called....

No, I thought you were going to call....

Who are we going to blame.??

I know.!! Let's blame (insert favorite friend here).!!

I don’t even have the words.

"This is not supposed to happen," one senior Capitol security officer told Fox News. "This looks bad."

Understatement of the day right there.

I TOLD you to pack the US army parachutes, not those with Russian markings, idiot!

"Radar tracking data shows the plane, a De Havilland Twin Otter, remained clear of the prohibited airspace over the Capitol Building and other government complexes at all times."

Would be interesting to see. I wonder what the Twin Otter's registration number was.

All they had to do was verify with the NCRCC that the Twin Otter was authorized. Hell, a peek at FlightAware would tell you it took off from Andrews…unlikely the origin point of bad guys.

Do they usually notify a minor law enforcement agency every time they’re properly flying an airplane over the FRZ? Or was this someone with Capitol Police saying “hey, that’s an airplane” and hitting the panic button?

Thanks for the FlightAware link.

It looks like the flight path came within a mile of the Capitol, and within 1/2 mile of Prohibited Area P-56.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 9.13.06 PM.png

I know I've said it before, but we sure spend a lot of time, effort, and money over-protecting a bunch of people that are a step and a half away from being mental patients.

It would be a lot cheaper to just do it like a hard drive disk array. We elect 5 different sets of representatives, and put them in different parts of the country. Take the majority of the votes of however many groups there are. If we lose a set or two, it's not a big deal, we still have valid data. Redundant Array of Inexpensive Delegates.

I'm only kidding a little bit. The data output wouldn't be that different.

I know I've said it before, but we sure spend a lot of time, effort, and money over-protecting a bunch of people that are a step and a half away from being mental patients.

Yep! But we are all so relieved to know that there will be an investigation to see who screwed up. They love their investigations. I know a few things they should be investigating ...

Whoa Nellie before we gets us a thread lock! :D

Yep! But we are all so relieved to know that there will be an investigation to see who screwed up. They love their investigations. I know a few things they should be investigating ...

Whoa Nellie before we gets us a thread lock! :D
The pilot will have a mysterious accident…

What’s scary is this is also true
I know I've said it before, but we sure spend a lot of time, effort, and money over-protecting a bunch of people that are a step and a half away from being president.

The articles conflict. So was it the Golden Knights Twin Otter that triggered it or a private single engine Cessna?

The articles conflict. So was it the Golden Knights Twin Otter that triggered it or a private single engine Cessna?
To a reporter, EVERY non airliner is a Cessna. They would have no clue what a Twin Otter is and probably thought it was some animals in the National Zoo so substituted Cessna.

Cheers

At first I thought it was a bablonbee or onion article (or however those sites are spelled)

sadly, it wasn't the first time people grossly overreacted and it won't be the last.

What the politicians don't realize is that false alarms come with the territory of attempting to keep a space 100% secure. Because as long as there was a chance that the plane was aiming for them, the safety measures have to be followed. By the time the plane is guaranteed to be a threat, it would be too late to do anything. That is a lot like going to the doctor with a runny nose and complaining because he tested you for the flu and it came back negative, so why on earth did he even test you for it in the first place...

Typical stupidity in panic. A small aircraft is headed toward us, let's run out of the building and stand in the street rather than get inside the building and stay away from the windows.

Typical stupidity in panic. A small aircraft is headed toward us, let's run out of the building and stand in the street rather than get inside the building and stay away from the windows.

They need to take an unairworthy "cessna" and put it on the rocket sled, slamming it into the wall, and show that moron how much damage it doesn't do.

What the politicians don't realize is that false alarms come with the territory of attempting to keep a space 100% secure. Because as long as there was a chance that the plane was aiming for them, the safety measures have to be followed.

I have a great amount of respect for you SkyChaser but what you propose here won't work. You see, you are referring to rational people with a brain ... these folks here are the entitled, egomaniacs that we the people elected to represent us. (Having said that makes me wonder how smart "we the people" are!) o_O

Wait a sec. Don't we have to know the political affiliation of the pilot before we adequately determine whether this was an "overreaction," or a genuine threat to the Republic? :stirpot:

They need to take an unairworthy "cessna" and put it on the rocket sled, slamming it into the wall, and show that moron how much damage it doesn't do.
They did that, already. Sort of. Guy drove a 150 into a bank building, I think in Florida. He wanted to kill himself and go out with drama. He just left a black smudge on the wall of the building.

Note, that this was stupidity on the Capitol police for blowing the whistle prematurely. There's a big party line among all the security agencies covering the FRZ area and all they had to do is ask "What's this airplane" and they would have been told.

When a small aircraft intentionally hit the White House, I think it chipped the paint or something.

When a small aircraft intentionally hit the White House, I think it chipped the paint or something.
It never actually struck the building. It scratched up a magnolia tree on the south lawn.

Note, that this was stupidity on the Capitol police for blowing the whistle prematurely. There's a big party line among all the security agencies covering the FRZ area and all they had to do is ask "What's this airplane" and they would have been told.
Sounds like a training issue.

They did that, already. Sort of. Guy drove a 150 into a bank building, I think in Florida. He wanted to kill himself and go out with drama. He just left a black smudge on the wall of the building.
Just a grease spot on the Bank of America tower.

I think the Capitol Police were reacting to all the flak they got over the 6 Jan event. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. No excuse for not further checking before blowing the evac horn but not an unexpected reaction, at least to me.

And this IS NOT a political statement, just a comment about the normal reaction for somebody who has been chastised over an action or inaction by the windbags in DC, whatever their occupation.

Cheers.

…not an unexpected reaction, at least to me.

It’s not like these aerial demonstrations inside the DC ADIZ, then SFRA haven’t been occurring drama free for just about two decades now. This was a USCP decision making error or mistake, not unlike the 2018 Hawaii EAS activation. Would have been much easier for USCP to just say “we made a mistake.”
e54f6169b21fa4d5e37eac80f4a3a6e8.jpg

What the politicians don't realize is that false alarms come with the territory of attempting to keep a space 100% secure. Because as long as there was a chance that the plane was aiming for them, the safety measures have to be followed. By the time the plane is guaranteed to be a threat, it would be too late to do anything. That is a lot like going to the doctor with a runny nose and complaining because he tested you for the flu and it came back negative, so why on earth did he even test you for it in the first place...

if they had actually intended harm, there would have been no time to notify anyone or evacuate anything before it hit…

Back