Famous youtuber catching Jerryesque flack in comments

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
Matt Guthmiller put a video up about a 9 hour flight to CA through/around weather on New Year's eve. He spent a large portion of the flight at altitude. I won't go into the detail, but his fans take him to task for not using O2.

Personally I use O2 if I'm going to be above 8k for any extend length of time. But to each his own, although he may have broken a FAR or two. I don't know.

I do like the way he worked ATC to keep his route and altitude.

Matt Guthmiller put a video up about a 9 hour flight to CA through/around weather on New Year's eve. He spent a large portion of the flight at altitude. I won't go into the detail, but his fans take him to task for not using O2.

Personally I use O2 if I'm going to be above 8k for any extend length of time. But to each his own, although he may have broken a FAR or two. I don't know.

I do like the way he worked ATC to keep his route and altitude.

You say “at altitude”. WHAT altitude? And no, I’m not watching the vid to find out.

Was he really cruising along with his feet on the dash?

They climb Mt Everest without oxygen

Yeah, apparently it's a badge of honor to be able to function at altitude with out oxygen. But for me, I'd use it above 3k if it didn't dry out my sinuses.

Youtube's comment section is filled with simulator and student pilots who get hard from quoting regs. Iirc (I watched this like a week ago when he posted it) he was really flirting with the limits; perhaps not breaking the rule in letter, but spending a lot of time above 12.5. I was more sketched out by some of the weather he was taking on above very high terrain.

That kid has more hours and experience in that plane then I'll probably have in a lifetime. He also lives at something like 7500'. I've spent hours above 10k with o2 sats still in the high 90's, and I live at 750'. It effects everyone differently. 9 hours nonstop was probably a bigger safety factor than the o2.

Yeah, apparently it's a badge of honor to be able to function at altitude with out oxygen. But for me, I'd use it above 3k if it didn't dry out my sinuses.

I wouldn't say it's a "badge of honor", but if you feel good and o2 sats are good, why expend the money and hassle? I'm sure that as I get older I'll find I need it more. Hopefully by then I can afford something pressurized. Speaking of which, I'm surprised guthmiller still flies a NA Bonanza. Surely he could afford a pressurized Baron or something.

There's many things he does, imo, that could use some improvement. When I was in my early 20 I did the same things, arnt we all invincible at that age?

What always gets me is the rotation, level off in ground effect and pull the gear up asap with thousands of runway remaining. I know he flys ALOT of mountain fly, but the early gear swings in ground effect are just asking for a disaster..

Just my thoughts. But this is just another I add to my list of learn from others and there possible mistakes

Youtube's comment section is filled with simulator and student pilots who get hard from quoting regs. Iirc (I watched this like a week ago when he posted it) he was really flirting with the limits; perhaps not breaking the rule in letter, but spending a lot of time above 12.5. I was more sketched out by some of the weather he was taking on above very high terrain.

I really do hate my generation. Mainly the people on both sides of that exchange. I don't care for the look at me types. Or the people who feel the need to complain about something someone else did despite having literally 5% of the information. If it's a problem let Darwinism take over. It REALLY needs a comeback. It's snowing in Chicago in mid April, but get off my lawn.

There's many things he does, imo, that could use some improvement. When I was in my early 20 I did the same things, arnt we all invincible at that age?

What always gets me is the rotation, level off in ground effect and pull the gear up asap with thousands of runway remaining. I know he flys ALOT of mountain fly, but the early gear swings in ground effect are just asking for a disaster..

Just my thoughts. But this is just another I add to my list of learn from others and there possible mistakes
I don’t have a big problem with that one. To me it’s a preference thing. There’s something to be said for getting the speed up and climbing sooner even with runway in front of you. Eventually there isn’t going to be any and then the extra speed / altitude is a good thing.

Feet on the dash really bother me…

the rest, not so much. Agree that he did a great job working w/ ATC.

I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me, and as long as you spell my name right. George M. Cohan.

I don't think any of the "commentators" will give Matt a moment's pause.

I stopped watching him after it was revealed he coordinated with the guy who ditched his plane in the Pacific. It was supposed to be an engine failure, but it was likely intentional, done for the clicks. This is the one where DG pointed out that the girlfriend standing on the barely floating wing was wearing a wet suit.

I stopped watching him after it was revealed he coordinated with the guy who ditched his plane in the Pacific. It was supposed to be an engine failure, but it was likely intentional, done for the clicks. This is the one where DG pointed out that the girlfriend standing on the barely floating wing was wearing a wet suit.

Yeah, I don't know what to believe with that one. DG promised more to that story and never delivered, probably after a slander threat.

Disaster? A bit over dramatic…need to land again, just lower the gear? Even a belly landing isn’t a disaster (no loss of life, aircraft will fly again).
Don’t know about his plane but dropping the gear on a Mooney takes maybe 5 seconds. Cessna RGs takes a while.

I don’t have a big problem with that one. To me it’s a preference thing. There’s something to be said for getting the speed up and climbing sooner even with runway in front of you. Eventually there isn’t going to be any and then the extra speed / altitude is a good thing.
None of it is a problem for me either. I'm not in the plane. I have my preferences like everyone else, but I do feel there are safer ways to fly than how he does and I have learn from experiences. And so will he as he gets older

If DG says it was a stunt and the girl was in a wetsuit, it's just as likely that it was an accident and she wore a prom gown.

That guy is a tool with a capital T.

Anyone who remembers Zoom Campbell should think DG looks familiar.

"I have learn from experiences. And so will he as he gets older..." To be fair, his experience includes one time youngest pilot to fly solo around the world, which he did in that very Bonanza and since then I believe has a few thousand hours in it... Always new things to learn, but his experience level, most all of which has been in that Bonanza, is pretty up there already. :)

"I have learn from experiences. And so will he as he gets older..." To be fair, his experience includes one time youngest pilot to fly solo around the world, which he did in that very Bonanza and since then I believe has a few thousand hours in it... Always new things to learn, but his experience level, most all of which has been in that Bonanza, is pretty up there already. :)
Sometimes though, experience and safety don't always go hand in hand. Aeroflot 6502 validates this. A very experienced captain claiming to be able to land blind off an NDB approach. And by all means he got very close to landing on the runway. But was it a foolish. I don't think this video is elevated to that level, but just because you flew around the world doesn't make you a perfect pilot. We all can learn and we all make a little mistakes, but because you have experience doesn't mean you're immune to the potentials of hypoxia.

In the end there's no harm no foul in this video, but I do think they're safer approaches to flying than the one he took.

I watched the video when it came out. Hard to tell for how long he was above 12,500' if it was no more than 30 minutes, then 13,000' is legal.

Tooling along at 13k is waaaaay different if you live at 7,500 vs at sea level.

Regs are regs and we all need to follow them, but this is so very true. I used to live at 7000’ and I could fly at 12.5k’ all day long and not have any signs of hypoxia. Now that I live at 50’, I find 8k’ is doable, but I’m worn out. Now I take O2 with me in any long trip, and use it above 5k, because I just feel better when I’m done.

Regs are regs and we all need to follow them, but this is so very true. I used to live at 7000’ and I could fly at 12.5k’ all day long and not have any signs of hypoxia. Now that I live at 50’, I find 8k’ is doable, but I’m worn out. Now I take O2 with me in any long trip, and use it above 5k, because I just feel better when I’m done.

Yeah - same experience. I have lived at 7000+ and at sea level both. When you live at 7,500, going up to 12 is not really that big of an issue. When you live at sea level, it’s a whole ‘nother ball game, even when you’re young and fit. I’m not a bible-thumper in terms of regs, but I agree, if you’re going to be above 12.5 for much more than a look-see, you should be on O2, and most people will probably want to start on O2 lower than that.

They climb Mt Everest without oxygen
Only a few manage to actually succeed at that and even those that climb WITH oxygen spend weeks doing shorter climbs from base camp to get acclimated.

I used to subscribe to Guthmiller, but like so many YouTubers the content seemed to evolve from educational/sharing-cool-experiences to "look at me! I'm better than you!"

there's still some good content out there but Guthmiller as a subscriber lost me

--having said that--
the O2 thing, without the true details and nature of the flight known it's not on us to cast judgment. Back when I had FB (eons ago) I posted a picture of a ski trip headed up to KMMH, cruising along at 10,5 in Owens Valley myself and someone else were sipping on O2, the other pax was not. Well of course it was only a matter of time before people chimed in quoting excerpts of regs, etc. Mind you, there were cannulas enough for all and we were not at an altitude that required any O2 usage at all. C'est la vie.

Thing I kept noticing was when he wanted pireps the answer was nope, nobody else has been flying around here all day

Not so sure he was VMC when he picked up his clearance. But, like the O2, no way of proving it’s a violation based on a choppy vid.

As far as not using O2, adverse effects of hypoxic hypoxia aren’t universal. Affects everyone differently and personally, I’ve been up at those altitudes with no issues at all.

Not so sure he was VMC when he picked up his clearance. But, like the O2, no way of proving it’s a violation based on a choppy vid.

As far as not using O2, adverse effects of hypoxic hypoxia aren’t universal. Affects everyone differently and personally, I’ve been up at those altitudes with no issues at all.
I've camped at 13K for several days. I was extremely tired all of the time.

You can be fine at 13k one day and a babbling idiot on another. Can happen to anyone. No thanks.

I've camped at 13K for several days. I was extremely tired all of the time.

I’m sure a lot of people would be tired at 13K for days at a time. Short excursions to that altitude during a flight is a whole different matter.

Feet on the dash really bother me…

the rest, not so much. Agree that he did a great job working w/ ATC.

I feel the same way. If something unexpected were to happen, having your feet up on the dash like that could leave you in a position where you are unable to respond appropriately.

Back