Can airlines see your medical history with the FAA?

seth19man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kali
If you get a special issuance medical certificate for a medical condition, can the airlines you apply/work for see that you have a special issuance certificate and know what condition you have it for, or is this information kept private? If it’s not kept private, will it affect your chances of being hired/fired?

Well, they have the right to inquire of you. Co-operation is up to you (or non-cooperation). But the cert. does mean for the time period for whcih it's valid, the FA has made the judgemetn that you can operate with "equivalent safety".

Based on your other threads, you seem overly concerned about airline hiring practices. Do you meet the minimum background experience, have eyesight in both eyes, at least 10 toes and 9 fingers? You’re gonna get hired. Believe me, I’ve known all sorts of dudes that left the Army to fly for the airlines with all types of medical issues claimed with the VA. Some weren’t exactly what I’d call stellar pilots in the Army either. The airlines don’t care.

There’s a hiring wave going on right now and it ain’t going to end anytime soon. They need bodies to fill a seat so just enjoy the ride while it’s here.

Based on your other threads, you seem overly concerned about airline hiring practices. Do you meet the minimum background experience, have eyesight in both eyes, at least 10 toes and 9 fingers? You’re gonna get hired. Believe me, I’ve known all sorts of dudes that left the Army to fly for the airlines with all types of medical issues claimed with the VA. Some weren’t exactly what I’d call stellar pilots in the Army either. The airlines don’t care.

There’s a hiring wave going on right now and it ain’t going to end anytime soon. They need bodies to fill a seat so just enjoy the ride while it’s here.
I probably am. However, I would hate to spend thousands of $$$ on getting my medical and licenses only to find out I can’t get hired anywhere because of my diagnosis (ADD and Anxiety). I would eventually like to fly for a major/cargo and that’s where my concern lies. I know regionals will pretty much hire anyone with the proper certifications, but majors are where my concern lies because let’s face it, it’s hard making over 100k unless you fly for one of the majors. Hopefully, the hiring wave is still going on in ten years when I’ll have all my licenses and the hours to be competitive enough for majors!

If you hold the medical, you're fine. Nobody cares otherwise.

You can, but you have to pass a nuerophysical that can range from $2000-5000 so it’s not at all cheap.
Ok. Then I have to wonder how far up the career ladder one can progress. I kind of think one with that kind of medical history would be stuck working for the aviation bottom feeders.

You can, but you have to pass a nuerophysical that can range from $2000-5000 so it’s not at all cheap.

You’re looking a decade down the road for a medical that expires six months after the month of issue. There’s a saying that your only as good as the date of your last medical because it can he harder to maintain it than to get it.

You’re looking a decade down the road for a medical that expires six months after the month of issue. There’s a saying that your only as good as the date of your last medical because it can he harder to maintain it than to get it.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I have to take the neurophysical again after I take and pass it. I have no medical conditions that run in the family and I’m a decently healthy young person. Unless some sort of tragic accident happens, I wouldn’t foresee myself ever having any other disqualifying conditions until I’m much older.

Iirc they might require periodic check ins with your hims dr (hopefully less expensive than first time around)

but I’m just sgoti

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I have to take the neurophysical again after I take and pass it. I have no medical conditions that run in the family and I’m a decently healthy young person. Unless some sort of tragic accident happens, I wouldn’t foresee myself ever having any other disqualifying conditions until I’m much older.

Every time you apply for a medical, you will have to disclose the diagnosis (have you ever in your life) and at a minimum provide a current status from a qualified medical provider that your condition has not changed. Along the way, congress could write a law or the FAA could change their position on any history of any diagnosis, too.

Every time you apply for a medical, you will have to disclose the diagnosis (have you ever in your life) and at a minimum provide a current status from a qualified medical provider that your condition has not changed. Along the way, congress could write a law or the FAA could change their position on any history of any diagnosis, too.
How exactly does a qualified medical provider prove that my condition hasn’t changed? Is this just by seeing me in person periodically, or by performing an evaluation?

How exactly does a qualified medical provider prove that my condition hasn’t changed? Is this just by seeing me in person periodically, or by performing an evaluation?

I don’t know for your specific diagnosis, but for my melanoma from 2009, I need a current detailed clinical progress note from my dermatologist that addresses the information requested here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...tInformation_DetailedClinicalProgressNote.pdf

For my hypothyroidism, I need the same from my PCM plus labs showing acceptable TSH levels.

That’s for any class of medical.

I probably am. However, I would hate to spend thousands of $$$ on getting my medical and licenses only to find out I can’t get hired anywhere because of my diagnosis (ADD and Anxiety). I would eventually like to fly for a major/cargo and that’s where my concern lies. I know regionals will pretty much hire anyone with the proper certifications, but majors are where my concern lies because let’s face it, it’s hard making over 100k unless you fly for one of the majors. Hopefully, the hiring wave is still going on in ten years when I’ll have all my licenses and the hours to be competitive enough for majors!
Get the medical. If you hold a first class and are employable in the U.S.A then you’re fine. Based on what you have said I would do the medical first. Don’t pay for any training until you have the medical in hand.

I don’t know for your specific diagnosis, but for my melanoma from 2009, I need a current detailed clinical progress note from my dermatologist that addresses the information requested here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...tInformation_DetailedClinicalProgressNote.pdf

For my hypothyroidism, I need the same from my PCM plus labs showing acceptable TSH levels.

That’s for any class of medical.
Gotcha. My diagnosis are Anxiety and ADD, so I’m sure it’s a little different than having a physical health condition. I plan to consult a HIMS AME, but I’m waiting for my 90 days of being off medications to go by. Trying to save a couple hundred bucks and have the least amount of visits as possible.

Get the medical. If you hold a first class and are employable in the U.S.A then you’re fine. Based on what you have said I would do the medical first. Don’t pay for any training until you have the medical in hand.
Don’t even think i should do 10-20 hours of flying to make sure I like it before I blow thousands on a nuerophysical? I used to be in the Civil Air Patrol throughout middle and Highschool, so Ive done some flying. Sadly, I didn’t take full advantage of it because I never really considered it as a pathway to being an airline pilot, only the military. Did a week of mock basic training and that made me completely change my mind about enlisting. I was planning on just doing 10-20 hours of flight at the airport to make sure I want to blow all that money on a nuerophysical, but do you think that’s a good idea? Would those 10-20 hours still count towards my ppl if I took a couple month break while waiting for my physical results?

Those hours still count towards your ppl totals but may not have much value after an extended break for medical evaluation/testing and then waiting on the faa.

Would you learn to fly if you could only flew for fun? Maybe try light sport to avoid the medical for now and see if flying is for you. I have no idea how those hours count if you switch from LSA

Flying experience is flying experience. If you gotta light sport, pic totals are quite valuable.

And a light sport AIRPLANE is a AIRPLANE. So light sport airplane isn’t as good if you later got for a PPL rotorcraft... but that doesn’t seem in play here.

For maximum benefit though, using a CFI rather than a light sport CFI does make some difference, I think...

Don’t even think i should do 10-20 hours of flying to make sure I like it before I blow thousands on a nuerophysical? I used to be in the Civil Air Patrol throughout middle and Highschool, so Ive done some flying. Sadly, I didn’t take full advantage of it because I never really considered it as a pathway to being an airline pilot, only the military. Did a week of mock basic training and that made me completely change my mind about enlisting. I was planning on just doing 10-20 hours of flight at the airport to make sure I want to blow all that money on a nuerophysical, but do you think that’s a good idea? Would those 10-20 hours still count towards my ppl if I took a couple month break while waiting for my physical results?
I miss understood your original post. I thought you had already decided being a pilot was your goal. If you need a few lessons to decide then go fly.

Remember, you’re asking for advice. Only you can decide the correct path. My opinion is worth what it cost you.

Gotcha. My diagnosis are Anxiety and ADD, so I’m sure it’s a little different than having a physical health condition. I plan to consult a HIMS AME, but I’m waiting for my 90 days of being off medications to go by. Trying to save a couple hundred bucks and have the least amount of visits as possible.

Let’s revisit this post after your first renewal.

Because the FAA insists on violating the limited exemption to the Privacy Act, the fact that you ever held a special issuance is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE to anybody who works hard enough. The telltale sign of a special issuance is your illegally publicly disseminated record bears a notation like "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER" or references a telephone number for further information.

Of course, if you're currently on the special issuance, your certificate itself bears those sort of restrictions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back