Does the USAF Have a B-747 Sim?

How do the AF-1 pilots train? Are there any 747 Sims still in use?

They just go fly!

Truthfully though, they do have a minimum number of hours they have to make each month/year, so there is quite a bit of training flying. You can track them on ADS-B and will occasionally see them in the pattern at Andrews or other fields on the east coast. I've personally seen one of the E-4Bs out of Omaha doing touch and goes at Cedar Rapids.

There are still a few 747 simulators -- Boeing, Atlas, UPS, Kalitta all still have them. But those are all 747-400 or -800, and the current Air Force One is a 747-200. The Air Force used (10+ years ago) to train at United Airlines, but United long ago got rid of their 747-200 simulator, so I'm not sure where they go now. The FAA only shows two certified 747-200s remaining, but the Air Force doesn't require FAA certification for their training so there could be a non-FAA certified sim somewhere.

Last edited:
This was a while back, but an AF guy I was talking to said they got sent to UPS for their training.

what a tough spot, a very limited supply ‘device’, that the real item is somewhat expensive to operate, that promotes safety, and you get to invoice a government. :rolleyes::)

what a tough spot, a very limited supply ‘device’, that the real item is somewhat expensive to operate, that promotes safety, and you get to invoice a government. :rolleyes::)
Probably more than one govt

Back