Buying a 1981 King Air F90

yzinventions

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John Z.
Hi everyone,
I just saw a plane that looks like it's in great condition. The plane model is a 1981 King Air F90. However the engines have about 9500 hours with the propellers being recently installed. Is this something I should be concerned about?

If you have to ask…

Also, are you really 22? o_O

Accidentally put in the wrong year. I can't change it... :confused:

My opinion, if you are interested in a King Air. You need to find a guy named Chip McClure. The King Air community is pretty close knit and there are willing resources, unfortunately this isn’t really the place many of them hang out. If you really want an experience, register for and head to the King Air Gathering in May. This year it’s at Tullahoma, home of the Beech Heritage Museum.
http://kingairgathering.com/

However the engines have about 9500 hours with the propellers being recently installed. Is this something I should be concerned about?
FYI: While this is not the best forum to post a King Air question, your questions would be better answered by the APIA or shop you plan to use to maintain this aircraft. For example, the 9500 hrs you mentioned can be of no consequence depending on the context as turbine engines track time differently than piston engines.

Hi everyone,
I just saw a plane that looks like it's in great condition. The plane model is a 1981 King Air F90. However the engines have about 9500 hours with the propellers being recently installed. Is this something I should be concerned about?

In my best Slick Willy voice impression: “depends on the definition of ‘this’ that you are referring to”. The engines? The propellers? The entire airplane? An airplane of that age and complexity can end of being a very expensive purchase, well above the asking price. Like others have suggested, get a King Air expert and get a thorough pre purchase inspection, unless gambling with a boat load of money doesn’t cause you to flinch. Also, if you haven’t talked about insuring it yet, get a ball park on what that will cost you.

Well…… the aircraft is cheap … however I just did an inspection last week on a 90… it’s a ton of work. The issue is one engine overhaul starts at about 190,000+ so if your saying the engines habe 9,000 hours that means they when been through 2 overhauls ( ish) for example my on a PT-114A The tbo is 3,600 with a 1,800 HSI if your on the MOORE STC it sway better …. That can be 70k or more. It all depends when you start taking turbines the engines are worth more than the airframe. And this is coming from someone with 13 years of PT6 hard MX experience. Not just an opinion. I’m currently changing a motor with 2,000 hours on it that ended up being a 225,000$ engine.

In my best Slick Willy voice impression: “depends on the definition of ‘this’ that you are referring to”. The engines? The propellers? The entire airplane? An airplane of that age and complexity can end of being a very expensive purchase, well above the asking price. Like others have suggested, get a King Air expert and get a thorough pre purchase inspection, unless gambling with a boat load of money doesn’t cause you to flinch. Also, if you haven’t talked about insuring it yet, get a ball park on what that will cost you.
Hahahah awwwwwww the insurance now days

My opinion, if you are interested in a King Air. You need to find a guy named Chip McClure. The King Air community is pretty close knit and there are willing resources, unfortunately this isn’t really the place many of them hang out. If you really want an experience, register for and head to the King Air Gathering in May. This year it’s at Tullahoma, home of the Beech Heritage Museum.
http://kingairgathering.com/
100%. Chip McClure and Tom Clements are the two I would reach out to. Between those two is all of the knowledge you could ever dream of.

Thought I remembered reading this topic before. I'm guessing OP posted the same question on ye old Reddit because the answers here weren't good enough. OP also wanted to know on there if they can volunteer to be a fighter pilot for Ukraine. :eek:

Ask at Beechtalk. They have a whole section for king airs and a lot more people who are engaged at that level of ownership.

Thought I remembered reading this topic before. I'm guessing OP posted the same question on ye old Reddit because the answers here weren't good enough. OP also wanted to know on there if they can volunteer to be a fighter pilot for Ukraine. :eek:
Aw it's so cute when the flight sim kids go online to ask real grown up pilots questions about planes to help their flight sim skillz. Someday you'll be old enough to get your driver's license and go to the FBO and ask the old timers yourself, kid.

Lol…if he was qualified to be a fighter pilot for Ukraine, he’d 1. Know who to ask, and 2. Not do it for free.

Yeah, like Ukraine, in its current situation, with only a handful of operable MiG-29’s, is going to let anyone that walks though the door get stick time in those precious aircraft.

Back