Drunk driver hits 2 aircraft and fuel truck at Dallas Love Field

Federal offense? Could be serious for the driver, if the prosecutor wants it to be.

Ouch, that’s going to massively expensive to repair/replace, not even including the expenses of down time (either lost revenue or backup airlift). Guess he was on Lovers Lane, busted the red light, and went across Lemmon Ave?

My next jet is definitely going to be a Citation if its aileron can do that much damage to a GMC pickup. Conversely, my next pickup will not be a GMC! FWIW :lol: :cheers:

Not pictured is the fuel truck that he hit. Notice nothing ever got inside the passenger compartment of the GMC that could have caused injuries. Then again, if it had been a F-150 the folks inside would have probably been decapitated...:eek::lol::lol:

More importantly is how he will log this...

Not sure that "drunk" describes his condition accurately. Some might say he was "tore back" ...

There's a Cirrus in the local shop which was parked on a nearby (in aviation terms) ramp out of sight of cameras. One wing was hit hard enough by a truck it spun the aircraft around far enough the other wing hit the back of the truck. So both wings need a serious leading edge repair.

I have no idea how anyone knows exactly what happened without a video of it, but that's the story.

Is it? Seems like hs stayed in the non-movement area, so wouldn't need a clearance.
I was thinking more, ‘ interfering with the operations of aircraft is a federal offense’

Either way, I think that he is going to have a bad day. I have zero tolerance for drunk anybodies. I hope that he suffers galore. I am just glad that he didn’t kill anyone.

Only on paved roads, nothing off road or you might get dirt on the tires...:lol:
It's funny, going to northern new Mexico hunting, the logging roads turn to grease if there's any rain. Every lifted truck with "mud" tires will get stuck. Yet we power through with the stock all terrains. Best I can figure, the wider tire floats more. Like tracks on a skid steer.

Last edited:
It's funny, going to new Mexico hunting the logging roads turn to grease if there's any rain. Every lifted truck with "mud" tires will get stuck. Yet we power through with the stock all terrains. Best I can figure, the wider tire floats more. Like tracks on a skid steer.

I was up in the mountains north of here with the original tires from the factory. I didn't get stuck, but the truck sure did. It was spitting rain and snow and the temperature was right at 32 degrees. It would have been a big help if the temp had dropped a few degrees so the mud would have frozen. All I needed to go was about 15 feet to get to the packed gravel road, and it took me about 13 hours to go that 15 feet.

Lessons learned: Don't go into the mountains in the spring with factory original tires and 4WD is good for getting stucker than 2WD....:lol::lol:

It's funny, going to new Mexico hunting the logging roads turn to grease if there's any rain. Every lifted truck with "mud" tires will get stuck. Yet we power through with the stock all terrains. Best I can figure, the wider tire floats more. Like tracks on a skid steer.
Yup.

Wide tires seem to work best in bottomless mud where flotation is helpful.

Skinnies come out on top when there’s a hard surface under a layer of mud, where you can cut through the grease and get some gritty grip.

I like skinnies better on hilly desert logging roads.

I hate stock all season tread, though.

I hate stock all season tread, though.

Me too.!! They worked good until I got off the packed gravel and into the mud.

Believe me, my next set of tires were about as aggressive as I wanted to go and still drive on paved roads.

Sounds like they don’t know how to drive in mud or turn off the traction control so the mud tires can’t do their job and self clean. As a life long redneck I’ve been it tons of mud and will take the mud tires over stock any day. In my new 2500 HD I wanted to ride out the stock A/T’s tires till they needed replacing but after getting stuck in wet grass said screw it and switched. Much better now. :)

Sounds like they don’t know how to drive in mud or turn off the traction control so the mud tires can’t do their job and self clean. As a life long redneck I’ve been it tons of mud and will take the mud tires over stock any day. In my new 2500 HD I wanted to ride out the stock A/T’s tires till they needed replacing but after getting stuck in wet grass said screw it and switched. Much better now. :)
I would think good ol’ boy over redneck.

Picked my dad up after he flew into abq and got a rental car one year. We were in the national forest and it rained for a week prior. Picked him up with the atv. Going 15 mph back to camp the mud wouldn't come off the tires and kept building until it hit the fenders and I could no longer turn the atv. That stuff is something else.

I've got the bigger tires, but on a 1300 mile trip threw the stocks on. Had a Ranger in a trailer. Much quicker than the truck in the bush. More than a little 'necky over at my compound as well.

Tread drift 101 by POA....:rolleyes:

Going to be expensive to fix that wing. A friend flies a Lear for work. The Lear recently when in for maintenance and upgrades by a company that specializes in Lear jets. Joe told me the maintenance team was impressed with how well his company maintained the Lear. Joe said the only thing they did not fix was a small wing low condition, he said it trims out just fine so no big deal. He also said they could have fixed it by removing the wings and shimming them. I forgot what he said the cost would be but it was something like $250,000.

Hey I had a couple of beers and dented an airplane with my truck at the Dallas Airfield.
Do I have to report this on my next medical?:p

not if you get it expunged. Right DocBruce?:popcorn:

Back