the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Flew a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon. Very odd. No Safety Pilot, no view limiters, no approaches, no flight plan filed. No practicing of maneuvers, drilling for an upcoming practical, no cross country. I just flew VFR to another airport, got out and talked shop a little with others hanging in the FBO, stretched my legs, and flew back the same way. Looking out the windshield, using landmarks as much as I was the GTN.

Just flying around, enjoying the flight. No where had to be and a lot of time to get there.

Crazy, eh?
One of my most memorable flights ever was taking my girls to a restaurant on a short grass strip right in the middle of my instrument training. It was so nice flying without foggles, and a legit short/soft field was a welcome respite from 8000' of concrete. It was refreshing.

I just read ArtCraft's reply to a thread complaining about the company.

Apparently some people don't know how to break a post into, ya know, sentences and paragraphs? Goodness, use white space to enhance readability. Reading Teresa Arredondo's post was painful.

Apparently some people don't know how to break a post into, ya know, sentences and paragraphs?
YOU BE DISS'N THE FAA AGAIN? NOTHING LIKE 3000 LINES OF JAMMED UP UPPERCASE TEXT ABOUT USELESS STUFF ABOUT BFE WHEN ALL YOU WANT IS A LOCAL BRIEFING BEFORE YOU DO SOME PATTERN WORK. FOR EXAMPLE: !FDC 2/8145 FDC SECURITY..SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEM (UAS) OPERATIONS IN THE VICINITY OF CAPE CANAVERAL AND THE KENNEDY SPACE CENTER. PURSUANT TO 49 U.S.C. SECTION 40103(B)(3), THE FAA CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AND IN FURTHER DETAIL BY THE FAA WEBSITE IDENTIFIED BELOW AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. THAT'S, LIKE, 1000 MILES AWAY FROM KONZ. WHY SHOULD I CARE?

PLUS, WHEN DID THE FAA RAMP UP THE STADIUM TFR TO BE NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE AND REQUIRE A DISCRETE TRANSPONDER CODE?

!FDC 0/0367 FDC SECURITY SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS (SSI) FOR SELECT SPORTING EVENTS. THIS NOTAM REPLACES FDC NOTAM 7/4319 TO CLARIFY ATC AUTHORIZATION OF TRANSITING FLIGHTS. THIS NOTAM IMPLEMENTS SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B)(3), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL ACTIONS MAY ALSO BE TAKEN AGAINST A PILOT WHO DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OR ANY SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS OR PROCEDURES ANNOUNCED IN THIS NOTAM: A) THE FAA MAY TAKE ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION, INCLUDING IMPOSING CIVIL PENALTIES AND THE SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF AIRMEN CERTIFICATES; OR B) THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT MAY PURSUE CRIMINAL CHARGES, INCLUDING CHARGES UNDER TITLE 49 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 46307; OR C) THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT MAY USE DEADLY FORCE AGAINST THE AIRBORNE AIRCRAFT, IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT THE AIRCRAFT POSES AN IMMINENT SECURITY THREAT. SECTION I. STADIUM OR SPORTS EVENTS: PURSUANT TO TITLE 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, ALL MANNED AND UNMANNED SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW WITHIN AN AREA DEFINED AS: 3 NMR OF A QUALIFYING STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HOSTING A QUALIFYING EVENT UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL. QUALIFYING LOCATIONS AND EVENTS ARE DEFINED AS ANY STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE WHERE: A. A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING; OR B. A NASCAR CUP, INDY CAR, OR CHAMP SERIES RACE IS OCCURRING, EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. THIS FLIGHT PROHIBITION IS IN EFFECT ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED START UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF A QUALIFYING EVENT. SECTION II. OPERATING REQUIREMENTS (BASIC): THIS FLIGHT PROHIBITION APPLIES TO ALL MANNED AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS (INCLUDING TRAINING, PARACHUTE JUMPING, AND MODEL AIRCRAFT FLIGHTS) UNLESS THE AIRCRAFT OPERATOR MEETS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: A. THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES, INCLUDING AUTHORIZATION OF FLIGHTS SPECIFICALLY ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT DESIGNATED BY ATC USING STANDARD ATC PROCEDURES AND ROUTES; B. THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION IS BEING CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL, SAFETY, OR SECURITY PURPOSES SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS SUPPORTING THE QUALIFYING EVENT, AND IS AUTHORIZED BY AN AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER APPROVED BY THE FAA; C. THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION IS ENABLING BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER FOR THE QUALIFYING EVENT, AND IS AUTHORIZED BY AN AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER APPROVED BY THE FAA; D. THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR NATIONAL SECURITY, HOMELAND SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AIR AMBULANCE PURPOSES; SECTION III. RESOURCES: A. PILOTS OPERATING IN THE DEFINED AIRSPACE ARE REMINDED THAT AN FAA AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER DOES NOT RELIEVE OPERATORS FROM OBTAINING ALL OTHER NECESSARY AUTHORIZATIONS, INCLUDING THOSE SPECIFIC TO FLIGHTS OVER EVENTS HELD IN STADIUMS AND OTHER SPORTING VENUES, AND COMPLYING WITH ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL AVIATION REGULATIONS. B. PILOTS MUST CONTINUOUSLY SQUAWK AN ATC-ASSIGNED BEACON CODE AND MAINTAIN 2-WAY RADIO CONTACT WITH ATC WHILE OPERATING IN THE DEFINED AIRSPACE. C. UAS OPERATORS WHO DO NOT COMPLY WITH APPLICABLE AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS ARE WARNED THAT PURSUANT TO 10 U.S.C. SECTION 130I AND 6 U.S.C. SECTION 124N, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE (DOD), THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (DHS) OR THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DOJ) MAY TAKE SECURITY ACTION THAT RESULTS IN THE INTERFERENCE, DISRUPTION, SEIZURE, DAMAGING, OR SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS DESTRUCTION OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT DEEMED TO POSE A CREDIBLE SAFETY OR SECURITY THREAT TO PROTECTED PERSONNEL, FACILITIES, OR ASSETS. D. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 7/4319 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/STAKEHOLDERS/AIRSPACE-WAIVERS-0 OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. E. SUBMIT REQUESTS FOR FAA AIRSPACE WAIVERS AT HTTPS://WAIVERS.FAA.GOV. F. FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION AT HTTP://NOTAMS.AIM.FAA.GOV AND SELECT NOTAM SEARCH. G.THE SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPPORT CENTER (SOSC) IS THE POINT OF CONTACT AND COORDINATION FACILITY FOR ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS NOTAM AND ARE AVAILABLE DAILY FROM 0700-2300 EASTERN, PHONE 202-267-8276. 202001150001-PERM

So you’re not flying her again till December? All that work must take at least 8 months, right?

I think it will be my final project before I get off my arse, haul it up to the FSDO in Scottsdale and see if I can get signed off for the A&P tests. I think with a little help it may take a month or two.

This is officially the weirdest Facebook ad I've gotten:
Screenshot_20220408-223633_Facebook.jpg

Sold to the public for what use?

Now it would make sense if they were fur covered, givens Jim’s browsing history………

Did anyone think we’d get to where a quarterback would be paid a guaranteed quarter of a Billion dollars?

and why did get get $1m in PPP "loans"

At least the sun is out today.

I turned around on a flight today and went back home. bumpy AF.

I did some drywall work, had some instrument training, bumped my head a tiny bit on final in an Archer, and had sesame chicken for dinner. Overall a good day...

Hi winds have been plaguing this area . Finally got an hour in on Thursday to practice cross wind landings . Chickened out and flew out over the farm to check spring work . Rough air, so was flying slow to keep from breaking my nice old Cessna . By the time I got back to airport the winds had died down a bit and made a decent cross wind landing down the center line with soft touch down . As I was pushing plane back in hanger the wind came back up rattling the slider doors on the old T hanger . Typical spring weather of blow , light snow , rain showers and sunshine all week and some times in same day. It's 40 miles to hanger and the weather can vary quite a bit between the farm and hanger. Be glad when the weather settles down a bit more.

I flew down to Sporty's (i69 Clermont County) yesterday. Mostly for something to do, but also too check out some handheld radios. I figured it would be busy, but I didn't realize just how busy! I counted 7 in the pattern when I was still 10 miles out. They thinned out a bit by the time I got to the field and I had no issues joining the conga line. On my way back home (KONZ) I looked for some cheap (relatively speaking) gas. KSGH (Springfield Ohio) 5 bucks a gallon an right on my way home! KSGH is a very interesting airport! Apparently they are home to several different electric battery powered airplanes.

IMG-0470.jpg IMG-0473.jpg

I flew out of KONZ yesterday too. Took off from 04 - winds were eastish... wandered south west for about 20 minutes or so to warm things up and came back. Figured a straight in for 04 was in order. Announce final and someone says they are taxiing for 22. Didn't really register other than "why are they using 22?". Yea. Wind had changed. Crummier than usual landing... 11 knot quartering tailwind. No brains, no headaches.

I flew out of KONZ yesterday too. Took off from 04 - winds were eastish... wandered south west for about 20 minutes or so to warm things up and came back. Figured a straight in for 04 was in order. Announce final and someone says they are taxiing for 22. Didn't really register other than "why are they using 22?". Yea. Wind had changed. Crummier than usual landing... 11 knot quartering tailwind. No brains, no headaches.

I heard you call final 04 and I heard N3804Q say they were taxiing to 22. I was at 22 doing my runup. When I first got to the airport I looked at the windsock, it was defiantly favoring 04 but it turned by the time I was ready to taxi.

I heard you call final 04 and I heard N3804Q say they were taxiing to 22. I was at 22 doing my runup. When I first got to the airport I looked at the windsock, it was defiantly favoring 04 but it turned by the time I was ready to taxi.
Glad you were busy with the runup... it was ugly.

I like to stay a bit high for 04 "just in case" what with the limited options if you end up short, but as I'm coming up on the shoreline, why am I still so high? Hard slip down to 20 feet or so. Runway going by. Ain't gonna make the first turnoff, what the heck? Touchdown, squirrely as heck. What is going on? Just did not feel right. Finally made the second turn off - looked over at the tetrahedron, Oh... Switched over to ATIS to get the numbers. Moron.

I made a terrible mistake. I accidentally looked at the value of my IRAs this morning vs last December.

I’m going back to bed.

I made a terrible mistake. I accidentally looked at the value of my IRAs this morning vs last December.

I’m going back to bed.
Now you’re just baiting everyone to check theirs…

also - market up today… so if you are down, maybe next time you should invest in things that always increase in value… like airplanes

I’m going back to bed.

compare it to what it was 5 years ago.

I’ve been using the same asset rotation for ten years now. Missed some of the roar the last two years, but also missed some of the drops too, up 5% since December. And my former company’s stock has gone bonkers so that’s a nice bonus for house updates or work parachutes.

I had to go to a 10-minute appointment in South Dakota today. The original plan was to fly down on Tuesday evening and back home on Wednesday afternoon. Due to weather at home, we had to come down on Monday evening and we will be lucky if we get home tomorrow. The good thing is that I finally got to experience some real IMC with my RV-14 and its shiny G3X Touch panel. No wonder the airline pilots like glass cockpits.

saw this picture of a 172 in a hangar.

There is something wrong with this picture... it's just so wrong to have an almost empty hangar (of course, it must have an airplane, but...)

what is wrong with this picture.jpg

We watched "once upon a time in Hollywood" tonight. Holy crap was that good.

I've been going through old beta tapes, capturing them to quicktime movies.

I just watched a special that NBC aired in 1989... the 20th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moonwalk. Sweeeeet

(even better because there was no network logo, no pop-up ads, and no @(#*&$(@# muzak... just the actual footage and actual audio)

Hope you saw the remastered Apollo 11 footage they showed in theaters a few years back.

I don't know if its the same one as that on NBC but Apollo 11 is on Hulu right now. Very well done and the most footage I've seen and I've seen quite a few on that flight.

We are SLOWLY getting people back to the office. My building can have 350, and today it maybe has 50. Maybe 10 on my floor.

AND of course one of the very few back is sitting in the cube next to me. Hundreds of acres of empty cubes around here mind you, but she is 3 feet away. She is the nicest, sweetest person, who is THE LOUDEST TALKER on the planet. The phone obviously works only by TALKING LOUD ENOUGH that your voice somehow can make it out of the building. No speaker phone, so I can't even be part of the conversation by ease dropping.

I discovered that when my Windows 10 computer powers down instead of hibernates, and Edge won't reload the tabs, that if I run sfc /scannow from an Administrator DOS Command window, everything is all better. I've done that twice, now.

sfc stands for system file checker, and if a system file is corrupt, it reloads it from an archive that exists just for that purpose.

Last Wednesday was my first day in the office since it all began… ~25 months. We had 10/40 ish and really only because the big boss was in from Boston.

Last Wednesday was my first day in the office since it all began… ~25 months. We had 10/40 ish and really only because the big boss was in from Boston.
Any surprises from that lunch you left in your desk?

Back