ToC in NavLog

Casey T

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Casey
Hi.
I have my Checkride tomorrow and am trying to figure out what to do with my Navlog. I talked with my instructor and we came to the conclusion that my aircraft, a P28 does not have a climb chart to figure fuel burn. I was wondering if it would just be best to tell the DPE i keep an extra 30 minutes reserved on top of my day vfr 30 minutes to help leave room for the start-up, taxi, runup, and takeoff to ToC.

When I did my checkride 2 year ago in a PA-28 the POH also didn't have chart to show fuel burned during climb. If memory serves me right, it did say the engine used 8 gph so I just used that to calculate fuel burn. The DPE was fine with it.

I go back a lot further but I used the cruise burn for the entire flight. The theory is that the increased burn for the climb will be offset by the decreased power for the descent at the other end.

But I like your solution.

Have you discussed it with your CFI? He or she should have some idea how the DPE would react.

I always used 12 GPH in the climb, then cruise number from the POH for the navlogs when I was doing them. I found that to be pretty accurate dipping the tanks after the flight.

If fuel flow meters are to be trusted, 1.5 times the normal cruise in gph seems to be pretty close.

Back