Planning a trip to Airventure 2022

With a good quality tent, stakes are not essential to withstanding weather. The rainfly and floor should overlap and fasten together at each pole end. The components form one integrated stand-alone structure. Stakes are needed only for accessory features like vents and vestibules, and to prevent the tent from blowing away when it is unoccupied. One good way to ensure this feature is to buy a four season tent, which is designed to be usable in the winter when the ground is frozen and snow covered.

FTFY

Sounds like fun, but I'm not a camper. :oops: I get that it would be fun to hang out with a bunch of other pilots and check out new stuff, but I'm just not a camper. I like things like AC and a modern private bathroom; spoiled first-world person. ;)

I have yet to make to Airventure, even though I've been in Wisconsin two or three times while it's on. We were there visiting my wife's family. Some time when we're up there I'll need to drive in for the day to see it.
We rented an RV last year through RVShare.com best of both worlds and keeps us on the grounds. I've done the camp several years prior when we owned. I can't seem to talk my wife into camping under the wing. It might be the limitation of the 50lbs of gear we could take.

Curious, does anyone ship anything to Airventure?

With a good quality tent, stakes are not essential to withstanding weather. The rainfly and floor should overlap and fasten together at each pole end. The components form one integrated stand-alone structure. Stakes are needed only for accessory features like vents and vestibules, and to prevent the tent from blowing away when it is unoccupied. One good way to ensure this feature is to buy a four season tent, which is designed to be usable in the winter when the ground is frozen and snow covered.
Nothing keeps a dome tent from rolling away other than the stakes, It will try to do so even if you are in there. The last thing you want it to do is lift off the ground/ground cloth in a rainstorm.

That being said, I've never had any problem with the run-of-the-mill tent stakes for the purpose.

Have lunch/dinner with people I only see once a year (or in this case, it's been 5 years!)
Visit the museum because there's no way I can see everything in one half-day visit (which is all I usually have)
Various meetings for chapter and/or other committees.
Drool over stuff at the vendor displays.
I worked a few hours each day and then did the afternoon activities. You can also do a trip to Dells in a day if you are eager to do other things.

We rented an RV last year through RVShare.com best of both worlds and keeps us on the grounds. I've done the camp several years prior when we owned. I can't seem to talk my wife into camping under the wing. It might be the limitation of the 50lbs of gear we could take.

Not only ship to, but ship from. FedEx (or UPS, don't remember) has a booth on the grounds. I don't remember the rules for shipping to so you can pick everything up there. Another option is to find someone who will be there to accept the gear when you ship it....got to be lots of POA'ers who might be available.

Thanks for the link! Since 2015 we’ve camped with our plane until last year. Last year we lucked into a spot in Sleepy Hollow and rented a trailer from Kunes RV. It was kinda of expensive but this year they want close to $3K, 10 night min. So we were gonna borrow our friends travel trailer and drive up vs fly (wasn’t looking forward to what would amount to a 2-day drive from Tampa). Thanks to you I just booked an RV through RVshare for a week (don’t want to stay or pay for more than a week) for a quarter of what Kunes wants and we still get to fly — 7 hrs from hangar to tie down with one fuel stop.

Thanks for the link! Since 2015 we’ve camped with our plane until last year. Last year we lucked into a spot in Sleepy Hollow and rented a trailer from Kunes RV. It was kinda of expensive but this year they want close to $3K, 10 night min. So we were gonna borrow our friends travel trailer and drive up vs fly (wasn’t looking forward to what would amount to a 2-day drive from Tampa). Thanks to you I just booked an RV through RVshare for a week (don’t want to stay or pay for more than a week) for a quarter of what Kunes wants and we still get to fly — 7 hrs from hangar to tie down with one fuel stop.
That is awesome. I'm in the process of picking out mine. We usually have less than 3K and we drive 1800 miles of the week. It's a great experience. Last year we left a few days early and hit some cool spots.

That is awesome. I'm in the process of picking out mine. We usually have less than 3K and we drive 1800 miles of the week. It's a great experience. Last year we left a few days early and hit some cool spots.

For me it’s about economical use of my vacation time. I just don’t want to tie up 4 days just driving there and back—I’d rather get 2 extra days at the show. Getting a rental that the owner will deliver to my reserved campsite is the perfect option for us. Worst case, we could still camp with the plane, but as we’re getting older, tent camping has lost its appeal especially after staying in a trailer last year. So much so that we would have driven up this year towing a borrowed RV vs going back to the tent.

@Dave Anderson they are already there or you have to rent a site, pick up the RV nearby, setup and break down to return?
Both are available I have a friend that rented a unit this year where they take it to Camp Scholler and set it up and tear it down You just reserve the site and show up. We have rented locally and driven the unit, but it takes time and most charge for milage over 100 miles / day But we also did a few extra days outside of EAA

Just a few more thoughts on RV camping. We decided to forgo flying the 172 and go commercial and found a flight from CLT to ATW non-stop for less than $400 round trip. Rented a car from Budget for $110/day. Registered on RVshare.com and sent out inquires for RVs on our dates. I sent over 15 inquires to owners that had RVs listed as available and RVs that they would deliver and received only 2 responses [I even sent follow up emails, checked the spam folder etc]. Both of owners that responded were for very nice, drivable RVs and were priced at over $200/night. There is an additional delivery fee, deposit required and we must purchase RV insurance that costs $27/day. We decided to rent an Axis Thor motor coach that has generator included and propane refrigerator. Total cost of the RV for 5 days about $2300. This does not include camping site. We have not reserved a Camp Scholler site yet and it is my understanding that the improved sites cannot be reserved until June 24th and you must pay from the day you reserve until the end of the show. Not sure there will be improved sites available on Saturday July 23 when we arrive. Anyway, the budget has been blown wide open but I am excited.

I have reserved an Airbnb in northern Oshkosh will stay there and drive back and forth…about the same cost I used to spend for hotel in Fond du Lac and a lot less driving

Last edited:
To fly in and camp under your airplane, you just show up? The EAA website says it’s first come first serve.

Do people fly their plane while visiting or once you park you leave it there until you’re ready to leave?

To enter the Vintage airplane contest, do you need to do any work on your plane or is it just something people do for fun, at varying intensities?

To fly in and camp under your airplane, you just show up? The EAA website says it’s first come first serve.

Do people fly their plane while visiting or once you park you leave it there until you’re ready to leave?

To enter the Vintage airplane contest, do you need to do any work on your plane or is it just something people do for fun, at varying intensities?

Yep, just show up. The arrival can be a challenge.

Some people fly their airplanes during the week, but most leave their aircraft parked. If you fly, you've gotta do the arrival again.

The Vintage judging? If your airplane is eligible, all you have to do is ask for it to be judged. But it is a waste of the judges' time unless your airplane is better than factory new. There are folks who put years of effort into spiffing up a Vintage aircraft to earn an award.

Just a few more thoughts on RV camping. We decided to forgo flying the 172 and go commercial and found a flight from CLT to ATW non-stop for less than $400 round trip. Rented a car from Budget for $110/day. Registered on RVshare.com and sent out inquires for RVs on our dates. I sent over 15 inquires to owners that had RVs listed as available and RVs that they would deliver and received only 2 responses [I even sent follow up emails, checked the spam folder etc]. Both of owners that responded were for very nice, drivable RVs and were priced at over $200/night. There is an additional delivery fee, deposit required and we must purchase RV insurance that costs $27/day. We decided to rent an Axis Thor motor coach that has generator included and propane refrigerator. Total cost of the RV for 5 days about $2300. This does not include camping site. We have not reserved a Camp Scholler site yet and it is my understanding that the improved sites cannot be reserved until June 24th and you must pay from the day you reserve until the end of the show. Not sure there will be improved sites available on Saturday July 23 when we arrive. Anyway, the budget has been blown wide open but I am excited.

interesting—did you actually try to reserve any or did you just send inquiries? We went through RVShare a couple of weeks ago and reserved a “local” RV (travel trailer) that will be delivered to Sleepy Hollow no problem at all. The cost was right at $1000 for 7 days which includes the delivery fee and insurance. We were going to rent an RV from Kunes RV which we used last year but they wanted a minimum of 10-days which would have ran around $2800 just for the RV. Tack on on the $800 for the full up connection camp site and it was a bill we just couldn’t stomach. So we were going to forgo flying in and drive up with a friend’s travel trailer until we found out about RVShare (kinda like AirBnB but for RVs for those playing at home) and flying in was back on the menu.

Last edited:
I’m not a huge fan of camping without AC but feel like flying in is something I should try.

Yes. In Vintage, it's not uncomon for people to stake out and PAY for spaces and then leave. You pay from the time you stake out until the end of the show (though you get rebated if you leave early, three day minimum).
Either way. I suspect most people stay put. I generally give rides or do a flyout somewhere during the show so I'm in and out.
If you're talking about judging, all you have to do is enter. You don't really have a chance of winning unless you (or someone) has exerted a lot of effort in making it look nice. Of course, you're free to enter. I did for years after I got my plane restored. I never won an EAA award, but one of the Navion type clubs gave me one (and I one "Best Classic" at one of the local EAA flyins).

Just FYI. Keep looking for lodging at OSH. Something opens up grab it.
Just last week i was able to find a room in a hotel 1.5 miles from the field from the 24th to the 28th.
Went ahead and booked my flight and a rental car. I am all set.

interesting—did you actually try to reserve any or did you just send inquiries? We went through RVShare a couple of weeks ago and reserved a “local” RV (travel trailer) that will be delivered to Sleepy Hollow no problem at all. The cost was right at $1000 for 7 days which includes the delivery fee and insurance. We were going to rent an RV from Kunes RV which we used last year but they wanted a minimum of 10-days which would have ran around $2800 just for the RV. Tack on on the $800 for the full up connection camp site and it was a bill we just couldn’t stomach. So we were going to forgo flying in and drive up with a friend’s travel trailer until we found out about RVShare (kinda like AirBnB but for RVs for those playing at home) and flying in was back on the menu.

Did not try to reserve but rather sent emails through RVShare. Probably should have made an effort to just reserve a RV instead of inquiring about it through RVShare email. Anyway, we are in and everything is good. Looking forward to our first RV experience and first Airventure.

@N918KT could you reserve specific days or you had to reserve the whole week like camping?

You have to reserve a 3-night minimum. You don't have to reserve an entire week. They only have non-A/C rooms available at $75 a night.

A first night deposit is due the week after you reserve a room and the remaining costs are due June 15th. You could also ask them to extend or shorten your stay if your plans change and they will try to accommodate you.

Last edited:
If I wanted to car camp Weds or Thurs night, can I just show up? We’d actually probably pitch a dome tent we have. Just have never done it IRL.

Just drive in to camp scholler and then find a spot? Thinking of staying 1 or 2 nights with my son.
First time camping without a scout troop backup.

I have flown into Greenbay and stayed there with a rental car. The drive down to Oshkosh on Interstate 41 is not too bad. Just under an hour. Hotel prices are way more competitive too.

Agreed! Staying a bit further out means maybe a third the price than if you stay close. I’m actually staying in Marinette, but as I’m driving from South Georgia, the drive won’t seem long by comparison. It’s weird how 41 seems to become more of a 4-lane highway rather than an interstate the closer you get to the Michigan border (there are actual school bus stops).

Every year? No. Probably 12-15 of the 20 years I've attended (and I typically stay 4-5 nights), there has been a significant storm. Midwestern T-storms kick serious ass...

In 2018, they had to cancel the Wed. night show due to rain. We did get to see a B1 Bomber take off though.

In 2018, they had to cancel the Wed. night show due to rain. We did get to see a B1 Bomber take off though.

And spiral up and up and up in ‘burner until it finally disappeared into the overcast. Gorgeous.

If I wanted to car camp Weds or Thurs night, can I just show up? [snip] Just drive in to camp scholler and then find a spot? .
That about sums it up. Thursday you will find more spots have opened up closer to the gates. There is a requirement to be an EAA member and a three night minimum cost IIRC.

If I wanted to car camp Weds or Thurs night, can I just show up? We’d actually probably pitch a dome tent we have. Just have never done it IRL.

Just drive in to camp scholler and then find a spot? Thinking of staying 1 or 2 nights with my son.

Here's the link that gives you all the info on what you need to know: Camp Scholler (eaa.org)

That about sums it up. Thursday you will find more spots have opened up closer to the gates. There is a requirement to be an EAA member and a three night minimum cost IIRC.
Correct. You must be an EAA member to camp anywhere on the EAA grounds. They will happily sell you a membership at registration. The way it works is that you pay from the time you check-in until the end of the show. For spaces other than the hookup ones, you get any unused days (subject to the 3 day minimum) refunded when you check out.

I have been to Oshkosh once. I got to take the glorious Hawkeye in for the weekend. We were given an approach time that we nailed on a non-stop from Norfolk and was promptly parked in warbird alley. Before we made it to the Enterprise booth, I saw our bird being towed to Shell (now Boeing) plaza. My weekend of lounging around the show and seeing all the sights had just turned into lounging around the bird and giving tours. It was one of the best experiences I had in the service. We stayed in the dorms and got to get a taste of the local downtown nightlife.

I plan to go back in my own bird as soon as I can. I wonder if I can use the plane as a tent? @SixPapaCharlie told me that I can fit a "whole family" in the luggage compartment.

Agreed! Staying a bit further out means maybe a third the price than if you stay close. I’m actually staying in Marinette, but as I’m driving from South Georgia, the drive won’t seem long by comparison. It’s weird how 41 seems to become more of a 4-lane highway rather than an interstate the closer you get to the Michigan border (there are actual school bus stops).

And then becomes a 2 lane for most of the Michigan portion.

Yes, I’ve seen car campers. They will charge you for the week and refund when you leave

In fact, I car camped one year in Scholler. I drove my Suburban up and pitched the tent next to the Suburban. You can come and go in the car and leave your tent there by the way (just make sure you leave yourself an exit from your site). We camped with our EAA chapter that year.

Other than that, I've camped with the plane every year (twice in the North 40 with the club Skyhawk) and something like 20 years in Vintage. You'll find me as the first plane in the row in front of the trees behind the Hangar Cafe and I'm one of the many green Cabela dome tents about midway down the tree line.

In fact, I car camped one year in Scholler. I drove my Suburban up and pitched the tent next to the Suburban. You can come and go in the car and leave your tent there by the way (just make sure you leave yourself an exit from your site). We camped with our EAA chapter that year.

If you go somewhere in your car, be sure to mark where you parked otherwise someone will try to camp there.

You guys are being too literal with car camp. He stated he has a dome tent so leaving the site and coming back won't be an issue. The first 2 years we went to Osh we "car camped" in Scholler. All that means is we drove to the camp site and pitched our tent with the car parked right next to it.

I don't think I'm misunderstanding it at all. I did exactly what you are suggesting (throwing my tent up next to where I parked). I actually used my car to separate my "site" from the bus mobile home that was the next site over.

I don't think I'm misunderstanding it at all. I did exactly what you are suggesting (throwing my tent up next to where I parked). I actually used my car to separate my "site" from the bus mobile home that was the next site over.

You aren't, and my post wasn't directed at you, but I'm not so sure about some others.

Back