Camarillo Flight schools

Retro Manger

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Retro Manger
Hey fellow flyers!
Hope you are doing good in those interesting and challenging times!

I wonder, any of you with experience flying in Camarillo area? I've seen couple schools on the web:
Pacific Air
Camarillo Flight Instruction

and I wonder is there any opinions someone wants to share with me?
I would like to go there and work on my skills for couple hours.

Hey fellow flyers!
Hope you are doing good in those interesting and challenging times!

I wonder, any of you with experience flying in Camarillo area? I've seen couple schools on the web:
Pacific Air
Camarillo Flight Instruction

and I wonder is there any opinions someone wants to share with me?
I would like to go there and work on my skills for couple hours.

I thought Channel Islands Aviation was the big school at CMA? Haven't been there in 10 years or so but was a top notch outfit then.

I just checked that out. Where is their practice area? Seems to be mountains all around.
Looks cute though.

There is a practice area a few miles to the east of SZP.

Sounds like you're already a pilot? If you want to work on new skills, CP is a great place. They offer tailwheel, spin training, emergency maneuvers training and aerobatic instruction, on top of all the usual private/instrument/commercial instruction.

There is a practice area a few miles to the east of SZP.

Sounds like you're already a pilot? If you want to work on new skills, CP is a great place. They offer tailwheel, spin training, emergency maneuvers training and aerobatic instruction, on top of all the usual private/instrument/commercial instruction.

Hey and thanx!
My very first powered was a tailwheel and I have done spin training in 5-6 different planes. Looking a place to shake the rust off and maybe combine it with a flight review.
However don't want to waste time doing stalls and steep turns, but want to focus on landings since its been a while. This virus thing prevented me from flying actively.

but want to focus on landings since its been a while.

SZP is a lot more interesting (challenging) of an airport to practice landings at than CMA or OXR (though the instructors will take you over to those if they think you'd benefit from practicing something at a longer strip).

Shameless plug, my sister is one of the instructors at CP.

SZP is a lot more interesting (challenging) of an airport to practice landings at than CMA or OXR (though the instructors will take you over to those if they think you'd benefit from practicing something at a longer strip).

Shameless plug, my sister is one of the instructors at CP.
I won't overfly 2000+ foot RWY. I am rusty, not crippled :D

I rent out of Camarillo Flight Instruction. They have quite a few planes and once you've got your ticket they don't restrict the planes available to you like Channel Islands Aviation does. When we moved here 6 months ago Channel Island Aviation told us all aircraft are for students with the exception of one lonely aircraft that is always booked.

The practice area is over the Oxnard/Ventura coast and harbor.

SZP is a great airport in a somewhat confined valley. Makes it interesting but a really fun airport to go practice short-ish field stuff. They have tailwheel and upset recovery training at SZP. I've considered giving it a go, but haven't gone out and talked to them yet.

I did my PPL out of Santa Paula (with CP Aviation). While it is in a valley, most of the valley, and just over the 2000' ridgelines are mostly agricultural land. We used many practice areas: Just south/east of Filmore VOR, over the Ventura Pier, and valley just east of Lake Casitas. The wavered "acrobatic box" west of the airport is not use by the PPL students, mainly for the upset/ EMT training in the decathalons and citabria, along with other acro planes from other nearby airports.

I just checked that out. Where is their practice area? Seems to be mountains all around.
Looks cute though.

On my last flight review I was there over Santa Susana pass. But we came from the East. I am beginning to grasp the picture though.

Back