Any FAA resources for medical questions?

justin jiron

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Punkwood2k
I had a brush with Kidney stones a few years ago, caused by a Hyper ParaThyroid gland. Had it surgically fixed, no problems since.. But I have to have it monitored. Normal blood calcium levels are 8.5-10.2. And mine just came back at 10.3 this time... No kidney stones, no symptoms, no medications, just the high blood calcium reading. I need to know if this is grounds for Medical denial, before I schedule my renewal..
If I get denied, then my career is over before it even starts, and $60k is down the drain... But I dont want to linger on Basic Med as a PPL if I dont have to....

I'd REALLY like a resource to discuss this with.. Civilian doctors just dont understand the FAA guidelines, and what is at stake here..

I've heard of people seeing an AME for a Medical evaluation, without it being an "official" medical.. That way they know if their issue would result in a denial, without ending their career.. Anyone else hear of this before?

Any advice would be helpful.. Thanks.

I've heard of people seeing an AME for a Medical evaluation, without it being an "official" medical.. That way they know if their issue would result in a denial, without ending their career.. Anyone else hear of this before?
We recommend “consultations” frequently here at PoA.

This is where you schedule a visit with the AME that is really good at helping with cases similar to yours to not do an official exam, but discuss your case and how to successfully proceed in obtaining or renewing an FAA medical.

If your are asked to fill out MedXpress, go ahead and do so, but remove by scissors the confirmation number that permits the file to be opened. During consultation, you do not want the file opened by the doctor or the staff. And they can only open if they have the confirmation number.

During the visit, get the education and the “what to bring back” list. Make sure you are told what to bring so the submission results in successful issuance the first go with minimal delay. With the deferral system so mucked up right now, you don’t want to get stuck in deferral hell because you’re missing a single small but important item.

Best of luck to ya!

Second the recommendation for a consult. This is probably not career ending.

You might be directly issuable. Rather than retype, refer to https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...e/guide/media/KidneyStoneDispositionTable.pdf

the FAA’s way of seeing “no stone” will be a recent (60 days) KUB X-ray to look for a retained stone. Since you’ve had an MRI, they might require another expensive MRI instead. You only get into complications if you have a retained stone. Otherwise it’s issuable in the office.

I'd REALLY like a resource to discuss this with.. Civilian doctors just dont understand the FAA guidelines, and what is at stake here..

Your best resources are right here on POA...Dr. Bruce Chien and Dr. Lou Fowler. Both are "civilian doctors," but are AMEs and work with "hard case" pilots who have medical issues. Bruce's website is www.aeromedicaldoc.com, and Lou can be reached at https://flightphysical.com/dr-fowler. My suggestion is to reach out to one of them, pay their fee, and then follow their advice to the letter.

Best approach is to call the office and ask to schedule a consult. If the AME refuses to do a consult, leave and find another AME. Call Dr Harris…his office is close to KAPA. 303 790 1999. I saw him for a consult, excellent meet, got all the details I needed for the Class 3 then decided to go Basic Med.

The only part that might push down to block 4 would be the monitoring of and reading of high calcium. Not sure what triggers it. But any AME should be able to handle this, you may just wind up deferred. With no stone, there would be an SI to monitor your condition, but it should be issuable eventually.

Best approach is to call the office and ask to schedule a consult. If the AME refuses to do a consult, leave and find another AME. Call Dr Harris…his office is close to KAPA. 303 790 1999. I saw him for a consult, excellent meet, got all the details I needed for the Class 3 then decided to go Basic Med.
Well, thats a relief.. Dr. Harris is my AME also, and I was terrified to bring this up to him.

High blood calcium can be corrected with inexpensive medication, if it isn't contraindicated by anything else you're taking. Consult with your urologist on this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back