Changing up the Motorcycle Fleet (thinking completed)

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Coming up on a year ago I started thinking about a dual-sport/adventure/off-road bike:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...out-a-dual-sport-adventure-motorcycle.132523/

If you follow the thread, the results have been that I now have an old BMW R1150GS that I've been tinkering with and riding off-road, as well as the old 1986 Moto Morini 501XE Camel that's more of a dedicated dirt/enduro bike that has been a fun and unique Italian motorcycle project. And then came buying the kids a dirt bike:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/thinking-about-kids-dirt-bikes.135343/

The real outcome of those has been discovering dirt riding, how much I enjoy it, and also that (in my opinion) it's the best riding around this area. We have lots of dirt and gravel roads, which have few other cars and some of the best scenery in our area.

Although my wife and I rode a great deal in Pennsylvania, since moving to Ohio and then Kansas (and having kids) we've had a harder time getting back into the swing of it. Kids make that harder, and my wife especially has had more significant breaks from riding. She loved her Street Glide, but at 800 lbs it is a heavy machine. She loves her Triumph Daytona 675, but as a race bike, it's about as far opposite of what you could get from the Street Glide and it's sort of like trying to maintain proficiency in a 747 and a Lancair 320 while flying 10 hours a year. Also, I felt that she would enjoy the dirt riding with me, but obviously neither of those bikes were the least bit good (or even safe) for that kind of riding.

I figured that there was a good adventure bike option out there for her, but the question was what it was. My inclination was the big BMWs, R1200 or 1250GS, because the GS is significantly lighter than the GSA, it holds its weight low, has some great technology that I figured would help her confidence, and is basically a very good jack of all trades that's fun everywhere. I'd also thought a Pan America might be a good option - she does really like her Street Glide, supposedly they hold their weight pretty low, and the active suspension has a really neat feature of lowering when you come to a stop to make it easier to touch the ground. Not an issue for me, but more of an issue the shorter you get.

So this weekend we had some time without the kids and bombed around a few dealerships. The first place we went was a Harley dealer to see a Pan America. Have to say, it was a disappointment. The fit and finish on it didn't seem great, and the styling in person wasn't as good as it is in reviews and videos. It looks better from that low, looking up view at the front. Actually up at it looking down like you see it when you walk around it, it's just not a great looking machine in our opinion.

Ergonomics seemed just fine, but it's also clear without ever riding it that this is Harleys' first attempt at an adventure bike to compete with the others who've been doing it for longer. Will they get better? Probably. But we walked out of there knowing it was almost certainly the wrong bike for her. It didn't help to have a salesman who had no idea about it, and didn't even have his motorcycle endorsement or own one, but that has nothing to do with the bike itself.

Next we went to a BMW dealer that had some other motorcycle brands as well - Triumph, Ducati, etc. Sitting on the big R1250GS, even a low model with a lower seat, was not hugely confidence inspiring for her.

What immediately caught her attention was a black Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro - and it's a fantastic looking bike.

I knew about the Triumph adventure bike lineups, but hadn't researched them a great deal. The Tiger 900 is a middle weight adventure bike with a 900(ish) cc DOHC 3-cylinder, basically a larger version of the 675cc triple in her Daytona. This motorcycle was immediately impressive, especially to my wife. At 900cc it's not much smaller of an engine with not all that much less power than the bigger liter-plus bikes. Rated at almost 100 HP, it makes more power than the old R1150GS, but has a dry weight of under 440 lbs, making it similar in weight to the Daytona and the CG is not too tall at all. Despite wearing sneakers (i.e. having a thin sole vs. something with a more built-up sole to touch the ground better) she was immediately able to comfortably touch the ground and pick the bike up with the stock seat on the low setting, something that's rare for her.

This dealership practically begged you to test ride their bikes, and as they had a used R1200GSA air-cooled version that I wanted to see what I thought of it (I'll write on that separately), we both went for a spin around the block with her on the Triumph and me on the BMW.

In nearly 12 years of riding motorcycles with my wife, I've never seen her so immediately comfortable on a motorcycle ever. She was having fun goosing the throttle and passing me, playing with the different ride modes (which are intuitive and well thought out). Normally, if things aren't the way she's used to she gets thrown off. In this case she was riding in an area she didn't know, with a borrowed helmet (we didn't have ours with us), sneakers, and none of her normal gear (we didn't plan to test ride anything), and was perfectly comfortable. Not to mention, the engine and personality were immediately what she liked - those were always her favorite parts of the Daytona (and mine, for that matter), and Triumph does a good job of maintaining that with this bike.

Well, that was pretty much it. We talked about it and I said I didn't see her liking any other bike that much. We signed the papers, and will be bringing home her new 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro in a couple of weeks. The dealership is going to replace the Metzler road tires with Michelin Anakee Wild tires. Those are some very good 50/50 tires that will be good on the dirt and gravel roads as well as on road, and I was able to negotiate that swap as part of the deal.

upload_2022-3-7_9-2-43.png

With that, it's time to thin the herd a bit. I've had a goal of reducing the fleet size some when we're able to find ways to do so that make sense. So, we're going to be selling:

- Her 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 with just under 10k miles
- Her 2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide with around 10k miles
- My 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with a bit over 10k miles, and 115 HP

And two years ago, I did a significant upgrade on my 2009 Harley Ultra Classic in the form of an S&S 110" big-bore power pack with full exhaust, intake, and dyno tune:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...st-thinking-about-upgrading-my-harley.125869/

Although I've loved the bike with the changes and have put around 1500 trouble-free miles on it since, the reality is it doesn't fit our wants and needs. Between the move towards adventure riding and the significant weight not being great for around-town use, I find myself not wanting to take it places and not wanting to use it for future goals/trip plans. The main reason to keep it would be for riding it when my wife rides her Street Glide, and with it going away, it makes sense to let them both go and have a significantly shrunken fleet.

So I'll put them up for sale in the coming weeks, we'll pick up the Triumph, and be ready for a great season of riding!

Should get good money for the bikes, everything is going for a premium now. I'd have thought about the Suzuki DR650 or the Honda CB500x. I myself don't think big engines and big weight are that great for dirt, though I admit my experience is limited.

It didn't help to have a salesman who had no idea about it, and didn't even have his motorcycle endorsement or own one

Wait, what? A motorcycle salesman who doesn't even have a motorcycle endorsement? I mean, I can kind of see not owning one, I guess, at least temporarily - I know a lot of airplane salespeople don't actually own airplanes, and I'm sure there are realtors who live in apartments. But to not even be qualified to ride one? It's not like that's a particularly high bar.

Wait, what? A motorcycle salesman who doesn't even have a motorcycle endorsement? I mean, I can kind of see not owning one, I guess, at least temporarily - I know a lot of airplane salespeople don't actually own airplanes, and I'm sure there are realtors who live in apartments. But to not even be qualified to ride one? It's not like that's a particularly high bar.

I was honestly pretty surprised by that. Not something I think I've ever come across. Obviously you see some salesfolk who are more into it than others, but with something like motorcycles, you really need an enthusiast who can talk intelligently about the things.

I didn’t like the Pan Am after seeing it in person either. Very unimpressive. I own a Road King and a light dual sport, but the Pan just seems like it’s a bike that would happiest on the highway and just too much for the kind of off-roading that I do. Sure, there’s a few that could handle 550# off-road, but I ain’t one of them. I’m personally looking for a DR650 as a step up from my KLX250S.

I didn’t like the Pan Am after seeing it in person either. Very unimpressive. I own a Road King and a light dual sport, but the Pan just seems like it’s a bike that would happiest on the highway and just too much for the kind of off-roading that I do. Sure, there’s a few that could handle 550# off-road, but I ain’t one of them. I’m personally looking for a DR650 as a step up from my KLX250S.

Like anything, it depends on what you're going for. Comparing the Pan America to a DR650 or a KLX250 I think isn't a great comparison. It's an adventure bike, not a smaller dual sport or enduro/dirt bike, and it's for a different category of rider with different goals.

The common comparisons I've read on the Pan America put it up against the Ducati Multistrada V4S (another more road-biased adventure bike), the R1250GSA (the general king of large adventure bikes), and the KTM 1290 Super Adventure R (the hooligan of large adventure bikes). Put in some combination of them depending on how many OEMs they could get bikes from at the time.

If you want to do serious off-roading, yes, you probably don't want a bigger adventure bike (although some people manage to take them through some pretty serious stuff). If you want something that can do everything, it's a good way to go.

About 20 years ago I had a shouting match with a ford salesman who insisted that the mustang I was looking at was front wheel drive. I mean, he was frothing at the mouth mad at me for telling him he was wrong, and a complete idiot. I made sure I told his manager why I was leaving and would never be back. So, no, I’m not entirely surprised you had a motorcycle salesman that knew nothing about motorcycles.

Wife got home with her new Triumph yesterday:

4d765a9cc15aa174175f7d21e5d857a772a999592a776cc4871084986b8744f7.jpg 36f94e1eaa1657c3468837fd3ad5324d91118d108b294aecdf4c740bdf843ca0.jpg

It conveniently takes the space vacated by the Daytona. Now to get the Harleys sold...

It took me a long time to figure out that the Tour Pak was open

Reactions: Ted
You are a man of many hobbies! Where do you find the time and energy??

To be fair, given the number of open projects I have and the progress I make on them collectively, it would be easy to say that I don't find enough time for them all. :)

But, I am working on trying to get the list down some...

I haven't ridden the Triumph at all since we got it home, but my wife and I have gone on a few rides and she is really loving it. Confidence on a motorcycle is very important, and the bike is very confidence-inspiring for her. The combination of light weight, good systems, great balance, knobby tires, and overall low height so she can touch the ground comfortably enough do a lot. We've done a few dirt/gravel roads and she's done well with it, even on one road that was a lot fresher gravel than I thought, so it was thick and very loose.

Adventure bikes should have crash bars, and with the design of the bike I especially wanted to see upper crash bars. However the design of this bike makes upper crash bars a bit harder in some ways, so there aren't a lot of good options. The OEM Triumph upper bars are known for causing more damage than they prevent on mild drops, so that seemed out. These guys seemed the best, so I've got a set of these coming for it. I especially like their use of a forklift for the test:

I've put a LOT of miles (100k+) on Tigers. The triple is like crack.
Owned a Moto Guzzi Stelvio for 30k + miles and sold it several months ago because all my time has been devoted to building a plane.

Made the mistake of sitting on a Tiger 900 recently. They are very nice bikes

Reactions: Ted
Back