Aviation Lawyer available on the forum?

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
I need your take on rules concerning aircraft operations. Particularly in an ownership scenario where multiple pilots (who are co-owners) share the hourly cost of flying the aircraft.

If you're an aviation attorney, please comment and I'll send you my specific question on private message. Thanks.

Rules on aircraft ops should be clearly detailed in an ownership agreement. If they aren't now is a great time to start. And yes, it is a good idea to have an aviation attorney review the agreement. If you or one of the other pilots already have AOPA's legal services plan, review of ownership agreements is included in the plan.

if you need partners, you can't afford it.
kZ0S1RS.gif

:stirpot::rofl:

I need your take on rules concerning aircraft operations. Particularly in an ownership scenario where multiple pilots (who are co-owners) share the hourly cost of flying the aircraft.

If you're an aviation attorney, please comment and I'll send you my specific question on private message. Thanks.
Mojo, what state? Although you are discussing an airplane, most issues dealing with the relationship among the "co-owners" are state law issues so you need a lawyer licensed to practice there. OTOH, if it's purely an FAA regulatory issue, most aviation lawyer can give guidance.

I'll echo @Jeff Oslick's comment. The lawyers accessible through AOPA Pilot Protection Services deal with these issues all the time.

+1 on the AOPA legal folks. If they can’t help they have a network of in state folks to talk to.

+1 on the AOPA legal folks. If they can’t help they have a network of in state folks to talk to.
I have used them a couple times in exactly that way, for in-state referrals. Worked well.

Simple answer, fixed costs shared equally (insurance, hangar etc), variable costs based on hours used (fuel, oil, maintenance reserve, overhaul reserve). Agree with earlier post that if you need a lawyer to figure it out, something is broken.

Appreciate all the feedback.
The problem I'm trying to solve is a unique one. It would take 2 pages typing it out and I'm too lazy to do that.

cryptic is not a bug, it's a feature to them. lol.

Exactly. Now, based on this vague-posting, all I want to do is check out the content!.... oh... wait... no I don't.

Now I have "Lawyers, guns, and money" stuck in my head.

I love Warren Zevon. Just sayin. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner... that's just good stuff there.

Exactly. Now, based on this vague-posting, all I want to do is check out the content!.... oh... wait... no I don't.

I love Warren Zevon. Just sayin. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner... that's just good stuff there.

Might want to change his name to Vlad

The problem I'm trying to solve is a unique one. It would take 2 pages typing it out and I'm too lazy to do that.
Voice to text? ;)

It's all good, and probably best NOT to air it out on a forum.

But you'd have to type it in a PM to the lawyer anyways ;-)

I've had 2 planes in a partnership and 3 sole owner. I found partnerships an awesome way to own in the appropriate circumstances.

If you pick partners you know wisely, a well done partnership agreement is a good thing. With a good partner, it's about setting expectations (i.e who get's it for spring break, upgrades, etc.) and establishing a structure for the dissolution which eventually happens. We used the AOPA lawyer to set ours up. Easy and cheap and worked well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the situation made it make sense.

If you're picking partners you don't know, I'd say it's more like a club than a partnership. AOPA legal can help there too.

YMMV, good luck.

Back