Tailbeacon X ??

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
I’m confused. I thought this would be plug and play like the tailbeacon. After reading, it seems you have to buy their unreliable AV-30. So was hoping it was just a plug and play dual band adsb out solution.

It’s a 1090 transponder in addition to an ADSB-out that replaces your existing transponder.

Gotta have something in the panel to set the code with. Experimental has more options.

tailBeaconX can be controlled by uAvionix devices such as the AV-20-E, AV-30-E and AV-30-C. The AV-30 series is a 3-inch feature-rich primary display, and the AV-20 series is a 2-inch multi-function display. Learn more about each of these products and download the installation and operation manuals at www.uavionix.com. Additionally, tailBeaconX can be controlled by a variety of third-party EFIS displays.

Page 43-45 here: https://uavionix.com/downloads/tailbeaconx/tailBeaconX-TSO-User-and-Installation-Guide.pdf

Did the tailbeacon x get certified yet?

Ive talked with tech support there and they did say you could have other remote heads control it too like a GPS that has a transponder # output

Nvm I found it was.... I've had this thing on order for over a year

The tailbeacon is such a pain in the ass. I can't imagine this thing.

You need the AV30 to control it.
What a bad deal. I’d love to replace my tail beacon with this for the flight aware tracking for the wife and family. That AV-30 has all kinds of problems. I can’t even imagine spending $4500 on this for the unreliable AV-30. Why didn’t they make the tail beacon dual band. Ughh

You don’t hear about too many people having problems with them. It was a cheap and legal solution for many people including myself. It sucks because it’s not able to be used with any tracking apps. And then they go and mandate that you have to buy more equipment to use this one.

What a bad deal. I’d love to replace my tail beacon with this for the flight aware tracking for the wife and family. That AV-30 has all kinds of problems. I can’t even imagine spending $4500 on this for the unreliable AV-30. Why didn’t they make the tail beacon dual band. Ughh
My av 30 c has been reliable for me. I have it as my attitude indicator.

You don’t hear about too many people having problems with them. It was a cheap and legal solution for many people including myself. It sucks because it’s not able to be used with any tracking apps. And then they go and mandate that you have to buy more equipment to use this one.
I'd call them. According to them there is other equipment that works with it that you might already have

I'd call them. According to them there is other equipment that works with it that you might already have

sadly, I’ve called 3 times this week. That doesn’t say a lot.

sadly, I’ve called 3 times this week. That doesn’t say a lot.
Weird, I've always gotten through and giving the answered I need . Try the support side vs sales side. The tech support have been great with my questions

I’m confused. I thought this would be plug and play like the tailbeacon. After reading, it seems you have to buy their unreliable AV-30. So was hoping it was just a plug and play dual band adsb out solution.
You need the AV30 to control it.
The TailbeaconX understands the old Apollo SL70 protocol over RS232. A few things that speak SL70 are the old CX80/GNS480, the GTN series, GI275 (I think), GRT MINI and MGL iEFIS

Why didn’t they make the tail beacon dual band.
It only does -out. Dual band usually refers to -in capability. I don't think there's such thing as dual band out.

What do you mean the Tailbeacon doesn't work with flight-tracking apps? In my experience it works fine when you're not in anonymous mode.

It only does -out. Dual band usually refers to -in capability. I don't think there's such thing as dual band out.

I was thinking dual band referred to 978 and 1090 MHz. That said I think only receivers exist that are dual band. Seems redundant to transmit on both, not sure any transponders do.

What do you mean the Tailbeacon doesn't work with flight-tracking apps? In my experience it works fine when you're not in anonymous mode.

I'm guessing he's referring to 978 MHz not being as popular with FlightAware et al scanners. If someone really wants to get tracked that bad, they can get flight following. Then they'll will show up even without ADS-B.

I’ve installed around 10 of them, including 3 on my airplane. One or 2 have worked right, and I’ve spent hours tweaking and talking with Rebekah and Andrew, on the phone and in person, to try to get the perfect settings. They’re so unreliable, assuming they work at all. My solution was exchange mine for another unit (my 4th), sell it for a little below msrp, and buy a Stratus ESG.

My AV30s have been awesome for the most part.
20540517-78B3-40C4-ADF5-5CDE78A69571.jpeg

My tailBeacon has worked perfectly since I installed it 2-1/2 years ago.
Warrior II with an old Narco AT150.

I know tracking works, and I *think* I am running anonymous mode.

It would be wonderful if uAvionix would TSO the ECHO unit. They are only for experimental but they give "in" & "out" and works very well with my Garmin transponder.

I've thought about an AV-30-E but some of the comments here (and other threads) about their performance have me in the "not right now" camp.

I've thought about an AV-30-E but some of the comments here (and other threads) about their performance have me in the "not right now" camp.

The complaint about the AVs is the DG mode, not the AI (so far). Being in Experimental, you have a ton more options for heading information instruments, and cheaper to mix and match. Don't look at a gift horse in the mouth.

The only issue I've heard of with the AV-30 is the DG heading drift. In the old days we did all sorts of calculations and guesstimates to convert our heading into a track but nowadays any old Garmin x96 or a gps coupled ipad with Foreflight already gives you that. If you want heading for any reason you still have a compass. The TailbeaconX is for someone who either already has or wants an AV-30 or other compatable EFIS control and wants to eliminate the transponder rack from their panel. If you want to keep your existing non-ADS-B transponder then buy the regular Tailbeacon, not the X.

The TailbeaconX is for someone who either already has or wants an AV-30 or other compatable EFIS control and wants to eliminate the transponder rack from their panel.
Or maybe you're one of the 29 remaining CX80/GNS480 owners. :)

My tailBeacon has worked perfectly since I installed it 2-1/2 years ago.
Warrior II with an old Narco AT150.

I know tracking works, and I *think* I am running anonymous mode.

flight aware and them do not support the 978 mhz band. If your tracking works, that’s pretty rare. My region doesn’t have ****. We can’t ever have family or friends follow us. It might draw a line for a few miles but that’s it.

flight aware and them do not support the 978 mhz band. If your tracking works, that’s pretty rare. My region doesn’t have ****. We can’t ever have family or friends follow us. It might draw a line for a few miles but that’s it.
Flightaware does support 978, as do many of the other tracking sites.

Back