Third Class SI Saga

TX28

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TX28
I committed that once I received all the paperwork in black and white I would do a fairly detailed write-up to share with the PoA group. The discussion on this board has been invaluable in my personal journey and this is a small way that I would like to give back to those that are currently navigating their journey!

This posting details my seeking an initial third-class medical.

4/21 - Went to AME for exam knowing that I would have to be deferred. I checked the box for self-admitted substance dependence and previous arrests. At the time of the exam, I had been in recovery for 7 years and also went through an inpatient treatment program at the start of those years. Through the guidance of this forum, I had already started the process of requesting all court records, treatment docs, and letters from others in recovery.

5/21 - Received letter from OKC requesting copies of all court records, police reports, treatment records, and letters from people that can attest to my recovery. They also requested that I find a place to take a '10 panel forensic' drug test within 72 hours of receiving the letter.

This was probably the most difficult part of the letter as they also stated the drug testing place must send in the results via snail mail from their facility. Needless to say my AME at the time wasn't very helpful and most places have never heard of this type of test/requirement.

I was fortunate to locate one place that was able to comply and also sent off all of the records within 2 weeks of receiving this letter. This is where I am grateful for this group as I had already been waiting the weeks before my exam in collecting these records, had I not, this would have been a much more drawn-out process.

8/21 - Received letter from OKC denying my medical and giving SI encouragement. They told me to find a HIMS AME, get a Neuropsych eval, start random UA, attend AA meetings, and after 3-4 months of the above under the supervision of a HIMS AME I could apply for an SI.

The difficult start of this was finding a good HIMS AME. I called down the list for my state, some were literally dead. Some would not even offer a consult (to get started on UA etc) until they received my full file from FAA. Some would not offer an appointment until I sent $500. Needless to say, I kept calling around and was fortunate to find a great HIMS AME. I immediately started on the random UA through their office and also began logging my AA meetings.

The process of finding a Neuropsych was also somewhat arduous. Luckily, my HIMS AME was able to recommend a few. Finding an appointment less than 4 months out was a challenge, but doable.

10/21 - Completed Neuropsych eval, it is about what everyone describes here. I did not 'prepare' for it with any brain apps, I just went in well-rested with an open mind.

12/21 - Met with my HIMS AME and at this time, he submitted my 'package' to OKC.

4/22 - Received third-class medical with SI!!!

To breakdown some of the costs:
Annual HIMS monitoring: ~$2000
Drug test: ~$100/per (minimum 14 in 12 months)
Quarterly HIMS appt: ~$350
Neuropsych eval: ~$3500

I am sure there are some that could cite higher/lower, but for me, the guidance from my HIMS AME has been invaluable and I am very grateful to be in this position!!

For those keeping score, from the initial exam to receiving my medical was just shy of one year.

During the waiting times, I called OKC about once a week and also used AOPA medical services to check in on my case every other week. I don't know that either of these things sped/slowed my review, but it certainly was nice to just feel active in the process when it seemed never-ending.

Throughout this time, I have been flying with an instructor about twice a month and have logged just shy of 40 hours dual. I am hopeful now in the coming weeks to solo and begin XC training.

It is my goal to continue earning my ratings. One day I would like to upgrade to a first-class, but I am grateful for what has been granted thus far and will maintain this for the time being.

To those out there waiting and wondering I hope that this gives you some hope like other threads gave me along the way. It is worth all of the wait, confusion, and frustration in the world. If anyone has any more in-depth questions, please feel free to PM me.

This is a valuable piece of information. Thanks for giving back. :)

I committed that once I received all the paperwork in black and white I would do a fairly detailed write-up to share with the PoA group. The discussion on this board has been invaluable in my personal journey and this is a small way that I would like to give back to those that are currently navigating their journey!

To those out there waiting and wondering I hope that this gives you some hope like other threads gave me along the way. It is worth all of the wait, confusion, and frustration in the world. If anyone has any more in-depth questions, please feel free to PM me.

Your attitude through this process is a testament that you have put those unfortunate circumstances behind you. Great job.

Did you take notes on those FAA calls?

This is future pilot; where’s my file?

Oh yes it’s you. We finally found your paperwork in unopened mail.

two months later: it’s been opened!

two months later: it’s been scanned

two months later: it’s been read

etc

Did you take notes on those FAA calls?

This is future pilot; where’s my file?

Oh yes it’s you. We finally found your paperwork in unopened mail.

two months later: it’s been opened!

two months later: it’s been scanned

two months later: it’s been read

etc

"Your call IS important to us ... please hold as your estimated wait time is currently two hours and 42 minutes." :rolleyes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back