Gripe of the Day: YouTube

So, if we all use a VPN “relocating” us to another location that doesn’t have a market and no pushed ads, than YouTube will see all the new traffic from that location and will start targeting it for ads. That means we’ll have to keep moving around. That sounds like fun.

But they'd still have to find someone at the new location willing to pay to put ads up, and that may be difficult if the new location is inner Mongolia.

Or, we might just start seeing ads for yak shampoo.

So theres all sorts of ad block style add ons for chrome I use. I don't think i've seen an ad in years. Also you can pay for a youtube music subscription that also gets rid of ads on youtube. So instead of paying for spotify or apple music just use the youtube music app and enjoy add free youtube wherever. I'm not sure which addon it is but i also have it set up to not show me recommendations and to force things like facebook/twitter to show timeline only in sequence so no "top post/trending" bs.

This really illustrated that you don't understand his complaint. A YouTube channel embedding content into their video is not something you can easily avoid with a VPN, because it's (sometimes) almost indistinguishable from the actual content.
Well, thanks for the explanation, but I am not sure we are only talking about the ads that the content creators integrate as part of the video itself. If that is the case, please ignore the suggestion. But of course that are many other good reasons to use a VPN on YouTube anyway. The disappearance of ads is only an added bonus.

If you have android there is an app called youtube vanced that does away with all the annoying stuff. If I am on desktop I use adBlock plus. It is an extension that can get rid of ads on YT videos.

Do content creators get paid more if I watch a commercial rather than skip it as soon as I can? I ask because I follow several creators whose videos I like well enough to sit through the commercials IF their creators get paid extra if I do.

Do content creators get paid more if I watch a commercial rather than skip it as soon as I can? I ask because I follow several creators whose videos I like well enough to sit through the commercials IF their creators get paid extra if I do.
That is my understanding. It's aood time to get a cup of coffee...

Back