White lettering in or out?

In or out?

• in

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • out

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I got older I became an "in" guy. My new truck came with them out, and I kind of liked it

there you go. If you’re old and you like it, it’s not “in”.

YGBSM! I was personally affected by the Firestone 500s on my wife's car in the late '70s. Every one of them self-destructed. The replacement 721s were not much better. Then there was the Ford Bronco/Firestone scandal in the late '90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tire_and_Rubber_Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

That was really bad, near 100% of the tires failed. My first real job was at our local Firestone shop. After school I'd show up and use a box cutter to cut out the serial number and the shop would sent it back to Firestone and then get a new replacement. The rest of the tire got dumped somewhere. Can't believe I never cut a finger off @ 13YO.

To be clear and try to be more accurate, the Coopers that I mentioned that moved to china production were big truck tires 22.5, the tire salesman worked for Bob Sumerel tire. He suggested I avoid them from his experience
I used to trailer a lot and have gone through plenty of Goodyear marathon trailer tires with great success. I ran a trailer with 3 axles and 6 tires to 100K miles with no failures. Then the 3 rd set I got from tire rack were Goodyears made in china. Guess what? Same trailer, same weights, same roads and I experienced 2 blowouts. I was so ****ed.

A different big tire truck salesman suggested many years ago that I stay away from all truck tires that start with a G Which included Goodyear, Generals, Goodrich, etc on big trucks. I have burned up plenty of Yokohama tires in the last 15 years with good success.

I have run BF Goodrich on 2 trucks with great wear and no flats. The tires on my truck now are BF Goodrich and they have gone 60K miles with no flats. I like them. The dealer said they quit making the tires that are on my truck now. aarrgghh. The BF like to pickup nails and screws but have not gone flat on me. I leave the nails and screws in the tire and some have 20K miles on them, the heads wear off.

Last edited:
To be clear and try to be more accurate, the Coopers that I mentioned that moved to china production were big truck tires 22.5, the tire salesman worked for Bob Sumerel tire. He suggested I avoid them from his experience
I used to trailer a lot and have gone through plenty of Goodyear marathon trailer tires with great success. I ran a trailer with 3 axles and 6 tires to 100K miles with no failures. Then the 3 rd set I got from tire rack were Goodyears made in china. Guess what? Same trailer, same weights, same roads and I experienced 2 blowouts. I was so ****ed.

A different big tire truck salesman suggested many years ago that I stay away from all truck tires that start with a G Which included Goodyear, Generals, Goodrich, etc on big trucks. I have burned up plenty of Yokohama tires in the last 15 years with good success.
That makes sense. I know their semi tires are Chinese. A lot of farmers swear by the Chinese "double coin" brand, but I just can't do it. Recaps for drives and Michelin steers. Trailers get whatever I can find laying around that still has legal tread on it.

Fwiw their light truck tires are very good and at least the last set I bought are marked "made in usa".

If Goodyear or Firestone or whoever want me to advertise their tires for them by going "white out", I'll happily accept a discount on the tires as an advertising fee. Thus far, none have offered. Otherwise I don't see why I should care if anybody knows what kind of tires I have.
Makes no sense to me. Gonna guess you fly a plane or drive a car that "advertises" the maker, with no issues.

Makes no sense to me. Gonna guess you fly a plane or drive a car that "advertises" the maker, with no issues.

If I have an option, I will choose not to advertise for somebody. So, my car says "Toyota" on it. Kind of unavoidable, I mean I could remove the logos, but I'm not that adamant about it. But I'm not going to add a big "TOYOTA" sticker across the rear windshield either, unless I'm receiving some kind of monetary consideration from Toyota.

The last new car I bought, I specifically told the salesman I didn't want the dealer's logo on it - unless they, of course, lowered the price to compensate me. They did not choose to do so.

Yes, my tennis shoes have the company's logo - unavoidable. But I'm not buying a hat that says "Nike" or "Ford". I see no point to pay to advertise for a company - now if it was free and I needed a hat (like at an airshow), then there you go, that's a reason.

Expressly mounting the tires so the white lettering can brag to others about how you can afford expensive tires seems crass to me.

I'm quite sure this comes from when I used to race motorcycles. I had some sponsors. At the low level I was racing at, "sponsors" meant either "discount on supplies" or "if you have our sticker on your bike and are using our product, and you place well, you get money". So, I had a sticker for the local motorcycle shop that gave me something like 30% off everything I bought. And I had a Pirelli sticker because I ran those tires and there was prize money from them if I placed. And probably a few others like that. But there were other people who just thought stickers looked cool, so they'd have their bikes covered in stickers like they were pro riders sponsored directly by Honda and Dunlop and every other part and supply manufacturer out there. It was ridiculous. But you could tell who the "real" sponsored riders were, and who were just pretending.

In for classy
View attachment 105987

out for sporty.
View attachment 105986

not that there is anything classy or sporty about a Prius.
But it's fun to pretend...

Growing up it seemed that putting nice tires and rims on a "four door family vehicle" was verboten. I can't do four door vehicles (except my GMC Safari Van). But we are (relatively) free to do whatever we like so the choice is yours. :dunno:

Hey... when 25% of your truck's value is in the tires, you get jealous of people with brand new ones :rofl:

Only 25%.?? I have seen trucks here that the tires and wheels are better than 50% of the value of the vehicle. And the title loan payments are probably higher than the original loan...

Only 25%.?? I have seen trucks here that the tires and wheels are better than 50% of the value of the vehicle. And the title loan payments are probably higher than the original loan...

Even more sad to see a five hundred dollar beater truck (what's left of it) with eight grand of "speakers" packed in it so that what's left of the truck thumps it's way through the neighborhood at midnight ... :rolleyes:

Even more sad to see a five hundred dollar beater truck (what's left of it) with eight grand of "speakers" packed in it so that what's left of the truck thumps it's way through the neighborhood at midnight ... :rolleyes:
Hey, they need those speakers for blasting those great polka tunes.

Back