• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Ward

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
Got a set of new tires for my pickup truck which is my everyday driver. I noticed they have white lettering on one side. When I was younger it was white lettering out! Then in the last 25 years I have had white lettering in. Is it time for a change?

What you say? In or out?

What kind of truck and what style tires?

I like both. A lot depends on the year/model of truck, and the color scheme. I prefer most newer cars with black walls, but older muscle looks "right" with the white lettering. I vote "out" on the blue SuperDuty. Needs some white to break up the dark color.

White letters out on a white street truck might be nice. If it's a mud truck, I think in is better.

At the risk of involving granny's underwear, it just Depends.

When I was young I was an "out" guy. When I got older I became an "in" guy. My new truck came with them out, and I kind of liked it again.

(Not my actual truck but similar)

97217453.jpeg

If Goodyear or Firestone or whoever want me to advertise their tires for them by going "white out", I'll happily accept a discount on the tires as an advertising fee. Thus far, none have offered. Otherwise I don't see why I should care if anybody knows what kind of tires I have.

If Goodyear or Firestone or whoever want me to advertise their tires for them by going "white out", I'll happily accept a discount on the tires as an advertising fee. Thus far, none have offered. Otherwise I don't see why I should care if anybody knows what kind of tires I have.
I agree completely. As long as the white sidewalls are out. :p

wsw.jpg

Four door family ride ... hide those white letters!:D

Cover them with Portawalls. One of my jobs as a parts man at a dealership was issue them for the “classics” we got as trade-ins and kept for sale on the lot.

Cheers

Out.
Transforces are great tires for work vehicles.

I agree with you. I have always removed the dealer license plate frame and any decals from the dealership.Like you said they are not paying me.

It is a joy to park but I am used to it. I had a 1 ton 4 wheel crew cab 8’ bed from 93-99. Then I got a dually crew cab 8’bed in 99 and drove it for 13 years every day. Been driving this one since 2013. Big trucks gets me a little more room/respect out on the road it seems? When I drive my wife’s car it is a different deal, people tailgate, cut you off more. Lucky I live 1.5 miles from work and 15 minutes from the airport.

I suck at driving a short WB vehicle lol

I just took the 100 gallon fuel tank out of the bed as I am going to haul some steel in the next day or so. A real pickup has a 8’bed. I sometimes haul 100LL in it.
IMG_0767.JPG

Last edited:
yeah, this is an interesting thing to ponder. Great question. I've been "in" for most of my adult life....thinking it really only made sense for classic cars to be white letter or white wall.
but some of the pics attached here do look ok with letters out...so I voted out.
but then it depends on if you're sporting good tires or some cheap bottom barrel things....don't wanna be braggin' about junk tires. ;)

Seriously though, I recall way back in time as a teen washing my parents' cars or probably some of my early rides with white letters or white walls..... there is something satisfying about spraying that tire cleaner stuff on and watching the brown sort of ooze right out of the white. So yeah, white out so you get to have that satisfaction

Driver’s side, white out.

Passenger’s side, black out.
I like this idea. It reminds me of racing and sponsors. I did not keep both sides of the dragsters the same, you can't see both sides at the same time. I think I may have been asked about it only a couple times when someone noticed during a 10 year period.

Last edited:
yeah, this is an interesting thing to ponder. Great question. I've been "in" for most of my adult life....thinking it really only made sense for classic cars to be white letter or white wall.
but some of the pics attached here do look ok with letters out...so I voted out.
but then it depends on if you're sporting good tires or some cheap bottom barrel things....don't wanna be braggin' about junk tires. ;)

Seriously though, I recall way back in time as a teen washing my parents' cars or probably some of my early rides with white letters or white walls..... there is something satisfying about spraying that tire cleaner stuff on and watching the brown sort of ooze right out of the white. So yeah, white out so you get to have that satisfaction

Thanks for your input.
I have been a BF Goodrich customer in the past including what is on the truck now, but like so many things now a days they were no longer available I was told. So went with Firestones which I have used on other work trucks. This is a work truck.
Is Firestone considered a good tire in your opinion?

White out if you care about showing off your mud tires that have actually never been off pavement.

White letters out, then use a SLAP pen and color them yellow FTW!

YGBSM! I was personally affected by the Firestone 500s on my wife's car in the late '70s. Every one of them self-destructed. The replacement 721s were not much better. Then there was the Ford Bronco/Firestone scandal in the late '90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tire_and_Rubber_Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

We do have such bad/short memory's.
I am too young to remember the problems in the 70s but do remember the Ford bronco/explorers problems in the late 90s. Luckily I did not own any firestones back in those days. My wife at the time was not my wife then did have a explorer that she drove regularly from Sacramento to San Francisco with those junk tires on it. I think she did get them replaced but not until after making many trips on those tires. She was not happy about it.

This really does make me re think those tires now. I have not mounted them yet and can return them. What would you go with instead?

BTW I have had a major firestone dealer right next to my business for 50 years or so now. Good people there and I think they sell a lot of firestone tires now a days. But that don't mean I have to run them. I do have some stones on some of my other work trucks without problems. IDK

Last edited:
Where's the "after" picture? Inquiring minds want to know what you chose.

I've had excellent results with Cooper tires, to the point that's all I buy for the car & pickups.

I've had excellent results with Cooper tires, to the point that's all I buy for the car & pickups.
I used to love Coopers also, were made in Ohio. Then they sent all production to China my tire salesman told me and they started to have problems with them. I quit buying them then. Wonder where firestones are made?

I used to love Coopers also, were made in Ohio. Then they sent all production to China my tire salesman told me and they started to have problems with them. I quit buying them then. Wonder where firestones are made?
Hmmm. I need to go check. I try to avoid Chinese anything, but especially tires. I was pretty sure the car& truck tires were still made here. I did buy some Cooper trailer tires a year or so ago and was surprised to find they were made in China (the previous set wasn't), so I won't be doing that again.

That's what I use on my Excursion and trucks. Cooper Discoverer AT3 all-terrains. They get good tread life, are quiet for an A/T, and have good all-weather performance. My sports cars usually run brands like Pirelli or Michelin most times, not as cheap to buy as Cooper but they get great traction.

We have a Cooper manufacturing plant here in tupelo MS and I have a tenant who works there. We also have a Yokohama plant here in west point. Not sure where Firestone is. I have these same Firestones on my ram 2500 and they are wearing good and never been an issue with 18k miles on them. But if I had the choice of tire, mine came from the factory on my ride, I would go with BFG A/T K02 and for sure leave the whites out! People will envy so gotta show em off.

Back