Universal Fuel Stick C150

Tyler Barry

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Leatherhead_Aviator
Has anyone calibrated the universal fuelhawk fuel stick on a C150. If so, what were your numbers? Would like to compare them against mine for accuracy. Thanks

Never heard of a "universal" fuel stick for an airplane, they're all hand made. I made my fuel stick by running a tank dry (not that hard in a 150) and refilling it 5 gallons at a time. My fuel stick was an old piece of wood I found sitting around.

A univeral stick is one not precalibrated for a particular aircraft. It's just marked with a generic scale that you build a table for. I did one for my Navion tanks while I was draining/refilling mine to calibrate the regular fuel gauges.

FYI, the 150 club has an informative article on the fuel burn being much higher than book states. It’s a good read.

https://www.cessna150152.com/ubbthreads/attachments/6587-May-Jun2003.pdf
Good article, but there are details left out. The cruise chart for the '77 150 says this:

upload_2022-4-8_13-51-12.png

The author says that the POH says "lean mixture." It doesn't; it says "recommended lean mixture.' To define that, we go to another part of that same POH and see this:

upload_2022-4-8_13-52-36.png

Now, how many 150 drivers lean that aggressively? Most don't. Many won't. Too scared. They'll lean until it roughens a bit and then enrich it until smooth. Roughness? Several causes for that. Poorly maintained magnetos, ignition harness and plugs are responsible much of the time. And a weak spark or mistimed mags will eat a lot more fuel. The POH numbers were obtained in a new airplane, not some 1500-hour engine with almost everything needing replacement. Then there's the MA-3 carb used on that engine, a carb that has had numerous ADs against it. There were ADs for the venturis and fuel nozzle that hurt performance, and I would think that fuel efficiency suffered somewhat with those mods. Many of the engines ran poorly after the venturis and nozzles were replaced. The MA-3 carb was never too good to start with. Then there was an AD against certain O-200 cylinders that were suffereing head separation; the fix was to reduce the timing from 28° BTDC to 24°. The AD should have mandated a fuel consumption chart revision. It didn't. https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...5FD3727F609E1E0686256848004B6075?OpenDocument

On top of that, how many propellers have been maintained to the manufacturer's specifications? I have seen props badly dinged up. Props dressed until they're well below minimum width and thickness specifications. Props improperly dressed, with blunt leading edges. Yet we expect original performance from them?

Fuel consumption figures might also include wheelpants. How many 150s still sporting those?

Tachometers. They age. They use a spinning magnet to drag an aluminum cup around, using the phenomenon known as eddy current, to make the needle move. The magnets weaken with age, and the tach starts to under-read. So the pilot sets the throttle to get, say, 2500 RPM, but could easily be getting 2600 or more. That eats more fuel. In Canada we have a regulation that requires annual checking of magnetic-drag tachometers, and if it's off by more than 4% it must be replaced. Any error within 4% must be placarded on the tach so the pilot can make adjustments. 4% of 2500 RPM is 100 RPM.

The point here? Don't blame Cessna. They weren't cheating on the POH numbers. These are old, often poorly-maintained airplanes, yet we still expect factory-new performance? That 1977 150 is 45 years old. Even the newest 150 will be 36 years old, at least.

Last edited:
yea it’s a good thing I’m generous figuring reserves. I flew a 150 home for a friend once from accross the country… that lil 0-200 drank a solid 7.5 gph…

Same experience with mine on longer flights.

yea it’s a good thing I’m generous figuring reserves. I flew a 150 home for a friend once from accross the country… that lil 0-200 drank a solid 7.5 gph…

yea, we had an instance where we landed after a long flight with much less fuel than calculated. After that, i would always plan to be on the ground by 3 hrs off full.

One of the Cessna 150/152 club articles discusses the fuel stick issue. I believe they found the fuel hawk 152 gauge is more accurate on the 150 than 152 due to fuel hawk adding a safety factor to their number and the 152 holding an extra gallon in each tank. I would double check the article, but I use a 152 fuel hawk tube gauge and find it works well.

Common mistake made by folks making their own dipsticks: they drain the tanks and call that zero fuel.

It's not. Zero fuel is with unuseable fuel in the tanks. Consult the POH or TCDS for that number and put that amount in after draining. Unuseable fuel is that which will not come out of the tank in the attitude most critical for flight. A Vx climb in some, a full-flap power-off descent in others. You cannot count on that fuel so it can't be considered in your fuel burn calculations.

Common mistake made by folks making their own dipsticks: they drain the tanks and call that zero fuel.

It's not. Zero fuel is with unuseable fuel in the tanks. Consult the POH or TCDS for that number and put that amount in after draining. Unuseable fuel is that which will not come out of the tank in the attitude most critical for flight. A Vx climb in some, a full-flap power-off descent in others. You cannot count on that fuel so it can't be considered in your fuel burn calculations.

how would you propose I do it? I always fly w a huge reserve so not something I’ve worried about much… but on my ol c140 there’s no published usable fuel figure… there’s 12.5 tanks, I’ve heard anectodally that In level flight almost every drop seems usable… but on the gauges there’s a “no take off range” of about 1/4 tank… for me that’s a no landing either zone as if I need a go round I don’t want to do it in a glider… so I rarely use “both” and I burn one tank to almost dry on a cross country and switch it over an airport or friendly landing terrain, then figure I want to be landed within an hour of switching to full tank- giving me about 7.5 gallons left total in that tank…

But if I want to get a dipstick, which may save me from always topping off after a few short sunset hops, how might you propose I calculate that safely?

how would you propose I do it? I always fly w a huge reserve so not something I’ve worried about much… but on my ol c140 there’s no published usable fuel figure… there’s 12.5 tanks, I’ve heard anectodally that In level flight almost every drop seems usable… but on the gauges there’s a “no take off range” of about 1/4 tank… for me that’s a no landing either zone as if I need a go round I don’t want to do it in a glider… so I rarely use “both” and I burn one tank to almost dry on a cross country and switch it over an airport or friendly landing terrain, then figure I want to be landed within an hour of switching to full tank- giving me about 7.5 gallons left total in that tank…

But if I want to get a dipstick, which may save me from always topping off after a few short sunset hops, how might you propose I calculate that safely?
That would be some job. One would need to know the tank and outlet geometry and the max climb and descent attitude angles. If there's no published figure it's best to do as you are doing.

What I do is to add fuel by the gallon until I'm full. I declare that full usable and then work backwards from there. I did a nice little excel plot to generate the numbers for the fuel stick and the various set points on the EDM-50 to calibrate the gauges.

Back