N623W down on Cobb Pkwy in Atlanta

Tools

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tools
Son found this somehow. Actually Marietta or kennesaw.

one occupant, walked away, airplane probably totaled.

That’s all I know.

found dashcam video of the crash. i believe the pilot walked away, refused treatment.

Yowza. He was doing great until he hit the power lines. That was a pretty violent impact.

That’s a tough place for a forced landing. I think that airplane is/was based at VPC -my home field. It’s tie down space was empty this afternoon. I always thought it was a nice looking airplane.

We’ve had a lot of rain here this week. How weatherproof are the fuel caps on these?

Yowza. He was doing great until he hit the power lines. That was a pretty violent impact.
The AA-1 cabin box structure is stout. I know of one that came down in a stand of old California oak trees a number of years ago. (The young pilot opened the canopy full open in flight, in disregard of the limitation in the manual. The canopy came off the rails and lodged against the tail.) The pilot's only injury was a broken leg -- after he tried to get out of the airplane and fell out of the tree.

I instructed there for 16 years. I’ve looked down at that road thousands of times thinking “I hope traffic is light if the time ever comes”. Glad he’s ok.

I instructed there for 16 years. I’ve looked down at that road thousands of times thinking “I hope traffic is light if the time ever comes”. Glad he’s ok.

The area was a little different when I got my first airplane ride out of RYY in about 1970. Damn. I'm old.

We had an AA1 get pranged here. The thing cut a giant furrow in the runway but other than a bent prop and broken nose gear, the thing didn't look damaged at all.

The area was a little different when I got my first airplane ride out of RYY in about 1970. Damn. I'm old.

Yeah, I started flying out of there in 1997, and worked there from 2002 to 2018. As each year passed, I’d think “Oh, well, there goes that option” as subdivisions popped up.

Back