Options at KLDJ

Chaim Weisberg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Upwind
Hi all,

I am entertaining the idea of upgrading to a more capable aircraft (to me that's one with a bit speed) thinking about Arrow, Monney and Bonanza. Since I don't fly that much it would make sense to get partner.

I'm based out of KLDJ and currently fly a Cherokee. I'd like to get my IFR rating and and am debating between upgrading my avionics and upgrading airplanes. Ready to have a conversation with the right individual(s). I also recognize that KLDJ might not be the best option in NJ.

Also I will go for financing so it might be a better option to have a rental agreement instead of a partnership.

Anyone interested please chime in. Thank you!

Last edited:
Okay, more seriously, if you don't fly all that much, is speed really important to you?

True. But as long as I spend my own money, I can use it for whatever I want. It's more about the type of flying than getting to places. I would just like to fly a faster plane and yes it costs money.

Mooneys are quite small inside. If @Chaim Weisberg is a big guy it won't be for you. If you're a little guy like he who is Steingar you'll fit and like it. Mooneys are fast, stable and a lot less than an Arrow or a Bo, as least for the older ones.

I guess I nailed that!

You’ll find an Arrow to be a wonderful plane. Flies like a Warrior but has the blue lever and retractable. Just enough airplane that you feel like you’re going somewhere!

Enjoy the search!

*like many here, I have lots of time in both.
Thanks!

Mooneys are quite small inside. If @Chaim Weisberg is a big guy it won't be for you. If you're a little guy like he who is Steingar you'll fit and like it. Mooneys are fast, stable and a lot less than an Arrow or a Bo, as least for the older ones.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll need to find one and see how it looks inside before making any decisions.

Hi all,

I am entertaining the idea of upgrading to a more capable aircraft (to me that's one with a bit speed) thinking about Arrow, Monney and Bonanza. Since I don't fly that much it would make sense to get partner.

I'm based out of KLDJ and currently fly a Cherokee. I'd like to get my IFR rating and and am debating between upgrading my avionics and upgrading airplanes. Ready to have a conversation with the right individual(s). I also recognize that KLDJ might not be the best option in NJ.

Also I will go for financing so it might be a better option to have a rental agreement instead of a partnership.

Hi all,

Cessna 210. Size, speed, useful load and comfort.

Full disclosure: I’m selling mine.

Cessna 210. Size, speed, useful load and comfort.

Full disclosure: I’m selling mine.
I don't like high wings so I didn't think about it. But if it's a nice plane and good deal maybe. Mind sending me some info?

I don't like high wings so I didn't think about it. But if it's a nice plane and good deal maybe. Mind sending me some info?

Check the poa classifieds.

If you think you’re interested, call me. I’m in Allentown now; i travel down here frequently.

Piper Arrow is reasonable upgrade. The maintenance is almost as simple as your Cherokee. After all it is just a Cherokee with a constant speed prop and retractable gear and a bigger engine. If you like your Cherokee you’ll like the arrow. Just do your research because there are a differences between models. Insurance will be more because of the retractable gear. It’s got a good Lycoming engine and everybody can work on them and parts are readily available. Economy cruise for me is-130 knots burning 8.7 gallons per hour. But I have electronic ignition so I can pull the mixture back pretty far. The arrow III would be my preferred if you can find one. The Arrow II is a little bit faster but carries less fuel. But I haven’t found it to be a big issue as I can’t go much more than 3 to 3 1/2 hours anyway without stopping. I would stay away from the turbo charged versions, or school veterans. While they are not as fast as some of the other ones I feel that they are an underrated economical choice.

I owned a Cherokee 140/160 for nearly 28 years. Great airplane. Low wing.

Cessna is much easier to get into, to load, more comfortable in flight. Especially as you get older. High wing.

They both fly fine.

If you’re looking for an airplane to fly occasionally to get the $150 hamburger, Cherokee.

If you’re looking for a real traveling machine, Cessna.

It’s the airplane I should have bought 20 years ago.

Whatever you end up buying, I wish you good fortune and safe flying.

Piper Arrow is reasonable upgrade. The maintenance is almost as simple as your Cherokee. After all it is just a Cherokee with a constant speed prop and retractable gear and a bigger engine. If you like your Cherokee you’ll like the arrow. Just do your research because there are a differences between models. Insurance will be more because of the retractable gear. It’s got a good Lycoming engine and everybody can work on them and parts are readily available. Economy cruise for me is-130 knots burning 8.7 gallons per hour. But I have electronic ignition so I can pull the mixture back pretty far. The arrow III would be my preferred if you can find one. The Arrow II is a little bit faster but carries less fuel. But I haven’t found it to be a big issue as I can’t go much more than 3 to 3 1/2 hours anyway without stopping. I would stay away from the turbo charged versions, or school veterans. While they are not as fast as some of the other ones I feel that they are an underrated economical choice.
Thanks! Yeah this is definitely good info

I owned a Cherokee 140/160 for nearly 28 years. Great airplane. Low wing.

Cessna is much easier to get into, to load, more comfortable in flight. Especially as you get older. High wing.

They both fly fine.

If you’re looking for an airplane to fly occasionally to get the $150 hamburger, Cherokee.

If you’re looking for a real traveling machine, Cessna.

It’s the airplane I should have bought 20 years ago.

Whatever you end up buying, I wish you good fortune and safe flying.
Yes I currently own a Cherokee 140/160. Great airplane.

After you get used to the Arrow - there's the Arrow XL model waitin' for ya!

(PA-32)
I’m camping with my new lance at sun-n-fun this year, its so awesome for that. I took the seats out and didn’t even fill the floor up with camping gear. I could have never fit all the stuff in the Mooney no matter how hard I tried. Not heavy but big stuff.

I’m camping with my new lance at sun-n-fun this year, its so awesome for that. I took the seats out and didn’t even fill the floor up with camping gear. I could have never fit all the stuff in the Mooney no matter how hard I tried. Not heavy but big stuff.

When you see the packed-to-the-windows photos of PA-32/34 owners, it looks as if you're in danger of over-grossing the plane. But actually, you're generally far from it.

In my experience a person-sized amount of luggage/items weighs a lot less than a person-sized person.

For the Navajo Christmas drive that @Pilawt encouraged me to participate in, I had the plane loaded up to the headlner, and was still WELL under gross. A volunteer weighed each bag of items so we knew. A lot of the items in the Christmas drive are pillows and blankets.

Enjoy the show!

Back