iPad mini GPS not working in the plane anymore

NotarPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NotarPilot
I always fly with my iPad mini but recently the GPS doesn’t seem to be working anymore but only while flying. The GPS works perfectly fine while driving around in my car.

I happened to notice this when flying back after a major panel upgrade to the Dynon Skyview HDX system. Could it be causing interference enough to render the GPS unusable? I used the iPad in my work helicopter and it worked fine. Any suggestions or thoughts on what might be the problem?

I guess it's possibly causing interference or something is more shielded that it was before. Dunno.
But a question: didn't you get the WiFi dongles as part of your HDX upgrade? The SportCruiser I teach in is HDX and it feeds GOS and ADS-B to my non-cellular Mini (when I bother to use it with that awesome EFIS).

Does the iPad have cellular? The ones without have crap GPS chips, and don't navigate all that well.

Does the iPad have cellular? The ones without have crap GPS chips, and don't navigate all that well.
They aren't crappy GPS chips, there are no GPS chips in the non-cellular versions.
OP - Did you pair the iPad to the Dynon system? Not sure if Dynon uses wifi or Bluetooth, but I'd check you settings on the iPad for what it might be paired to. It's unlikely that the Dynon is "interfering" with the GPS signal.

They aren't crappy GPS chips, there are no GPS chips in the non-cellular versions.
OP - Did you pair the iPad to the Dynon system? Not sure if Dynon uses wifi or Bluetooth,
The Dynon HDX uses WiFi. It's a small add-on and easy to install.
wifi-usb-front.jpg

It does have cellular
The Dynon HDX uses WiFi. It's a small add-on and easy to install.
wifi-usb-front.jpg
I have the wifi dongle but one flight I didn’t have it and one flight with the dongle, the GPS did not work with either one.

1. Did you check the HDX setting for it? Does it show there along with the password?
  2. If yes, did it show when you went to the iPad Settings > WiFi app so you can connect your iPad to it with the password?
  3. If #2 is no, check with Dynon support.

In addition to the prior post, what app are you using in the air? Is it different from the app you use when on the ground where you see the GPS working? Could you have changed any of your location service settings? Lastly, is the iPad in a different position from where you had it in the past?
It seems very unlikely that there is GPS signal interference from adding avionics.

I don't know what you know so, just in case, this is from the pre-HDX so the way to get there is slightly different but otherwise it's the same process.

In addition to the prior post, what app are you using in the air? Is it different from the app you use when on the ground where you see the GPS working? Could you have changed any of your location service settings? Lastly, is the iPad in a different position from where you had it in the past?
It seems very unlikely that there is GPS signal interference from adding avionics.
I’m using WingX and that’s what I always use. It’s not different from what I use in other aircraft or on the ground. I hope you’re correct that it’s unlikely caused by interference. The iPad mini is only about 2 years old so I don’t think it’s obsolete yet.

Unfortunately, the plane is in annual right now so it’ll be a couple of weeks before I can test out some of these recommendations.

I just noticed your signature block. So your upgrade was to a certified HDX? Cool. What IFR box and ADS-B units?

I ask because my experience is with the LSA HDX. the HDX itself is not really that different but in ours, GPS, Transponder/ADS-B in and out, and IPad connectivity are all provided by the HDX. We have no IFR GPS capability or external transponder. If, for example, you have an Avidyne IFD, your iPad connectivity might be through IFD WiFi/Bluetooth and not the Dynon. Depends what was put together and how. Something to discuss with your avionics guy.

(People get confused by the variations all the time. I know one airplane with an IFD and remote ADS-B in-out transponder and a STRATUX because no one knew that they could connect to the IFD!)

I just noticed your signature block. So your upgrade was to a certified HDX? Cool. What IFR box and ADS-B units?

I ask because my experience is with the LSA HDX. the HDX itself is not really that different but in ours, GPS, Transponder/ADS-B in and out, and IPad connectivity are all provided by the HDX. We have no IFR GPS capability or external transponder. If, for example, you have an Avidyne IFD, your iPad connectivity might be through IFD WiFi/Bluetooth and not the Dynon. Depends what was put together and how. Something to discuss with your avionics guy.

(People get confused by the variations all the time. I know one airplane with an IFD and remote ADS-B in-out transponder and a STRATUX because no one knew that they could connect to the IFD!)
I’m running a pair of IFD 440s and the ADS-B is through the HDX. Once the plane is out of annual I’ll need to mess around with this more but in years past, using the same iPad mini I would get pretty good GPS reception in my plane using the same set up, ie. yoke mount, IFD 440 wifi connection or NGT-9000 connection. The NGT-9000 was taken out so that’s the only other major change. Was the iPad getting its GPS position through the 9000? That still wouldn’t explain why is works in the helicopter.

Was the iPad getting its GPS position through the 9000?
:dunno:
I'm played. It started out with you asking why your cellular iPad stopped reading its location in the airplane. The discussion moved in a direction which kind of assumed you weren't getting location info in the airplane directly from the iPad to begin but from one of the other units. That makes sense if you were getting ADS-B information on the iPad as well - it would have been from the Lynx but now from the HDX?

let us know when you clear up the mystery. We may not have even been close :D

Last edited:
What program are you using on your ipad ? I have read that some usb adapters that plug into cigarette lighter plugs can create interference. I know in ForeFlight, if I lose gps data from Stratux, which is transmitted via wifi, it will revert to internal gps. Try turning off your avionics one at a time to see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck

I’m using WingX and that’s what I always use. It’s not different from what I use in other aircraft or on the ground. I hope you’re correct that it’s unlikely caused by interference. The iPad mini is only about 2 years old so I don’t think it’s obsolete yet.

Unfortunately, the plane is in annual right now so it’ll be a couple of weeks before I can test out some of these recommendations.

I have had this issue with WingX. Remove the app and reload. If that doesn’t work contact WingX.

What program are you using on your ipad ? I have read that some usb adapters that plug into cigarette lighter plugs can create interference. I know in ForeFlight, if I lose gps data from Stratux, which is transmitted via wifi, it will revert to internal gps. Try turning off your avionics one at a time to see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck
Interesting, while I don’t use cigarette lighter USB adapters I did have a pair of Garmin USB plugs installed in the back seat which may possibly be causing the interference. I like your idea of turning off avionics one at a time to isolate the problem.
I have had this issue with WingX. Remove the app and reload. If that doesn’t work contact WingX.
I’m going to try this as well. Thank you for your input.

My IPads get their GPS coordinates from my ADS-B receiver but I always carry a very old Bad Elf along for emergencies.

Last 2 flights my iPhone 12 Pro Max running WingX has periodically shown “NO GPS” using its internal GPS. Force quitting and restarting the app brings it back, but often for only a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. All the while the GPS signal to my 496 was rock solid.

Could it be a bug in a recent version or database update to WingX? A good test might be to launch another navigation app that uses the iPad’s internal GPS and see whether or not the problem persists.

Back