Training after solo

Joe Williamson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Hey everyone, I am making good progress and am hoping to solo by the end of May. What happens after I successfully solo? Do I continue with an instructor? Do I keep soloing and mix in some instructor time as well? Just curious what training looks like after my first solo. Thanks

Prep for the test to ACS tolerance, with the CFI. X-countries with and without CFI. Make sure you have the FAR flight requirements and convince your CFI to sign you off for the test.

Is your written complete?

What did your CFI tell you about the various phases and objectives of your training?

Has he/she laid out a training plan with you with all of the requirements for certification?

Are you checking off the requirements as they are accomplished?

What is left on the list?

Do you know what all of the requirements are or where to find them? (Hint: they’re in Part 61)

And if you are making good progress, why are you hoping for late May to solo?

I recently saw a piper ad from ~1950 promising solo in six hours

Yup, the instructor is responsible for you and should put a tight leash on you. If you want freedom, finish your training and take the check ride.

Hey everyone, I am making good progress and am hoping to solo by the end of May. What happens after I successfully solo? Do I continue with an instructor? Do I keep soloing and mix in some instructor time as well? Just curious what training looks like after my first solo. Thanks
Usually night, cross country, and practical test prep.

One way to see is to read the student pilot regulations. You will see a list of what was required before you are allowed to solo. You will also see a list fir the next phase - what is required before you are allowed to do a cross country solo. Finally, you can read 61.109 to see all the training prerequisites before the checkride - any of those you haven't done yet (including getting around the regs? :D) are still to come.

That's crazy, even in the 80's it was 8 for most people.
It was 5.4 hours for me in 1977. In a 150 hp Citabria. Small town in Alaska. Uncontrolled field. But I'm sure students today are exposed to many more procedures before solo.

After my solo, I flew much more often than during my previous dual instruction. There will be limitations on where you can fly solo. You will likely need a CFI signature for each flight. For a while you may be restricted to the pattern.

This was the time I learned the most and progressed the fastest. It wasn't due to being held back by my excellent CFI, it was due to the good foundation he had laid upon which I was able to quickly build. It really was a joyous time, and I remember it fondly.

Buy a FAR/AIM and read the part 61 regulations on student pilots and private pilots. There are more suggested reading items listed in the front of the book. And ask your instructor for a syllabus outline so you know what to expect and can plan your flights better.

Don't worry, there's still plenty left to learn!

(This will remain true for a very long time indeed.....)

Thanks everyone, yes I know I still have a lot to learn. I am making good progress and tracking it with my instructor. I should have around 15 hours my the end of may. I am reading the regs in far/aim Studying my ground school courses with sporty. I’m hoping to take my ground test in may as well.

Your instructor is the one you should be asking.

After I was signed off, I did a lot of flying in the 25mi area, just for fun, when I couldn’t fit a lesson, prior to passing my ASEL. I didn’t stretch the boundaries, I was just happy to be up there.

I have 1800 hrs and am still learning. Don’t be too quick to fly the coop!

The major goals, stepping stones for Private Pilot training are...

Solo.
ATC Proficiency if you haven't already done that prior to solo, ie tower controlled airports or other tower controlled airports.
Solo Cross Country's
Prep for Practical Test.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

It's concerning you didn't already know this from your instructor... or if the instructor told you and you just didn't pay attention.

My instructor had a syllabus so we always knew in advance where I was and what was coming next. Made it easier to prepare for upcoming lessons.

Back