What a difference

Joe Williamson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
From my first lesson through my 4th. I am hooked on flying. Today I was in complete control from preflight to takeoff and all the way through my first landing. What a day! I am doing all the maneuvers with confidence and am loving it. All I can think about is flying lol I look up every time I hear a plane in the sky and look it up on flight aware. What an amazing hobby this is.

Welcome to the club! It's a fantastic thing once it sucks you in!

From my first lesson through my 4th. I am hooked on flying. Today I was in complete control from preflight to takeoff and all the way through my first landing. What a day! I am doing all the maneuvers with confidence and am loving it. All I can think about is flying lol I look up every time I hear a plane in the sky and look it up on flight aware. What an amazing hobby this is.

I was in your shoes 25 years ago, and I feel exactly the same way today. Welcome!

I took a job located next to the local airport to get a daily fix. Worth it.

Looks like someone’s caught the bug :)

Great tune if you personify the ground as the person it’s dedicated to. Flying for me is an escape from the stresses of life so it’s a rather easy song to refocus the original intent.

The shirt tail that was cut off me after my first solo was an REO Speedwagon concert tee shirt.

mine was a prudential real estate polo, by broker/dear friend bought for me-he was key in me getting my ticket. So I wore that shirt every lesson once I figured solo was close.

I stopped at my dads restaurant afterward soloing to tell him, he didn’t get the shirt thing at all. When I left one of the customers asked him “was there something wrong with that guy that came in in that Cut up shirt?” Lol

mine was a prudential real estate polo, by broker/dear friend bought for me-he was key in me getting my ticket. So I wore that shirt every lesson once I figured solo was close.

I stopped at my dads restaurant afterward soloing to tell him, he didn’t get the shirt thing at all. When I left one of the customers asked him “was there something wrong with that guy that came in in that Cut up shirt?” Lol

I was in uniform and needed to go back to work. My instructor asked about cutting my shirt and I said no. It was a distraction... He was a newly retired Army Apache pilot and little did I know but there was a bucket of water being tossed over the cowling of the 172 as he was taking the photo.

Last edited:
When I came home with my shirt tail cut off my wife asked what kind of cult I was hanging out with ... ;)

To Joe Williamson,

Keep that thrill going and understand the force may not be with you along the way and don’t give up. Where I took lessons they hang your signed shirt when you solo and when you get your pilot certificate you can proudly take your shirt down. There are at least a dozen shirts that have been hanging for 2 or more years. Have no idea why after solo these junior bird men never completed. Maybe life got in the way, financial issues, burn out, etc. Take the time to look out the window every flight and think about how amazing the gift of flight is. Don’t race to the finish line and enjoy the journey however long it takes.

Great tune if you personify the ground as the person it’s dedicated to. Flying for me is an escape from the stresses of life so it’s a rather easy song to refocus the original intent.

This song reminded of OSH 09. For some reason

Back