Which of these bachelor degrees would be best if I want to be a major airline pilot?

Question asked in the thread below.

• B.S. in Astrophysics with 2.8 GPA

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • B.A. in Astronomy with 3.0 GPA

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • B.S. in Aviation Operations 3.6 GPA

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • B.S. in Aviation Mechanics 3.4 GPA

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • B.A. in Psychology with 3.2 GPA

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with 3.0 GPA

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
:yeahthat:
If a furloughed pilot with an engineering degree they haven't used for 5 to 10 years applied, my company wouldn't hire them. Especially when you know they'll be gone as soon as recall starts.

Maybe in the current labor market you could find an engineering job, but not in a downturn economy when airlines are laying off people.

When I was going through my existential crisis during covid I had the same issue - a CS degree and a small amount of professional experience, but it was almost two decades old. I had friends that could pull strings and *maybe* get me an entry level job, but even then I'd barely cover a third of my current income.

So while I completely agree that it's a good idea to get a degree to fall back on, it's no substitute for a good old fashioned 'in case **** happens' fund. Build that war chest!

Completely agree. I've been to several regional airlines interviews, none of them asked if I have a degree.
My legacy interview did not ask. Just depends on the market. I waited 20 years for my class date. Would have been much earlier with a degree. Although I do have a lot of really good memories from that twenty years prior to the legacy.

Completely agree. I've been to several regional airlines interviews, none of them asked if I have a degree.

I’ve never had any interviewer ask me about my education.

Every job I’ve applied to has had a box on the application to check and some have asked for transcripts as part of the background check.

The best fallback positions would be the trades. Get an electricians’ union card, apprentice a welder, work construction, learn auto body work.

I have 15 years of formal post high school education. Believe me when I say a degree isn’t the only path to rewarding work.

The best fallback positions would be the trades. Get an electricians’ union card, apprentice a welder, work construction, learn auto body work.

I have 15 years of formal post high school education. Believe me when I say a degree isn’t the only path to rewarding work.

I agree with you in principle, but its almost a necessity to have a 4 year degree to get on with a major. Most of them have dropped the requirement, but I would guess that 90%+ of their new hires have the 4 year degree.

A degree in engineering is a license to learn.

Mebbe so. If that's the case, it seems someone with an engineering BS who's spent the last 5 years flying for Republic and not learning any more engineering wouldn't be competitive for an engineering job, especially in a down economy, which is when the former pilot will be looking to move into engineering. Add to that the fact that the pilot will have a hard time convincing interviewers that he won't bolt as soon as he gets the airline call, and I don't see engineering as a reasonable fallback position unless someone is really interested in it. And, if he's that interested in engineering, he should just do that and fly for fun.

Mebbe so. If that's the case, it seems someone with an engineering BS who's spent the last 5 years flying for Republic and not learning any more engineering wouldn't be competitive for an engineering job, especially in a down economy, which is when the former pilot will be looking to move into engineering. Add to that the fact that the pilot will have a hard time convincing interviewers that he won't bolt as soon as he gets the airline call, and I don't see engineering as a reasonable fallback position unless someone is really interested in it. And, if he's that interested in engineering, he should just do that and fly for fun.
Well said. My fall back jobs have always been aviation related. Have the A&P so I wrenched on one flying vacation. Most of the time I found other jobs as a pilot. Crop dusting, teaching skydiving. Just whatever it takes to keep some money coming in. I really think I’m going to relax more on my next furlough. I was serious about working in a cigar shop. Sounds relaxing. Grow a beard, ride my motorcycle to work and smoke cigars at work. Definitely my plan for the next one.

Well said. My fall back jobs have always been aviation related. Have the A&P so I wrenched on one flying vacation. Most of the time I found other jobs as a pilot. Crop dusting, teaching skydiving. Just whatever it takes to keep some money coming in. I really think I’m going to relax more on my next furlough. I was serious about working in a cigar shop. Sounds relaxing. Grow a beard, ride my motorcycle to work and smoke cigars at work. Definitely my plan for the next one.
I highly doubt the floor of a cigar factory is relaxing in any way.

Cigar SHOP.

That’s where people go to buy cigars. The employees there sell cigars. They don’t manufacture them…
Sorry. Misread. Is cigar a euphemism for weed?

I am curious about those commenting that they were never asked if they had a degree during their interview. If you have a degree, it is normally put on your resume and most employment applications ask about education. It would be a waste of everyone’s time for the interviewer to ask the question again. The only time I would ask about an applicant’s education level or college major is if it was omitted from their resume or the application. But, most of my hiring experience has been for mechanics.

I am curious about those commenting that they were never asked if they had a degree during their interview. If you have a degree, it is normally put on your resume and most employment applications ask about education. It would be a waste of everyone’s time for the interviewer to ask the question again. The only time I would ask about an applicant’s education level or college major is if it was omitted from their resume or the application. But, most of my hiring experience has been for mechanics.
It is disclosed on the application. I don’t know anyone that has been questioned about their education at a pilot interview. Regardless of having one or not.

It is disclosed on the application. I don’t know anyone that has been questioned about their education at a pilot interview. Regardless of having one or not.
They asked me why I chose economics instead of a flying degree. Maybe a few other questions on my education but it lasted maybe 3 minutes.

LOL. Any of them is fine from a decent school. The requirement is typically a BS. Period. Airlines don’t really give a poop.

Now, if you are asking us what degree should you have in the backpocket should flying not work out, that is different. A 2.8 in Astrophysics from CalTech will beat any GPA in any major from Embry Riddle. Aviation Ops and Aviation Mechanics are trade school-type degrees and very specific to the job you want.

If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life. No matter what your degree or where you get it.

Were I gunning for the airlines I'd go for the engineering degree. That way if I'm grounded by medical issues or the airline industry tanks I have a useful degree that can land me a good job.

Mine Engineering

Back